Hardware poll

Aerosoft Team [Inactive Account]

Your hardware (read post below poll first)  

727 members have voted

1. 1. What's your CPU like

• Intel Core i7 class, pretty fast
    • Intel Core i5 / AMD Phenom II X4 class, more then okay
    • Intel Core i3, Core 2 Quad / AMD Phenom, Athlon, Opteron
    • Slower then all that
    • not sure, that's the thing under the fan right?
  2. 2. How much memory do you have

• 8 GB or more
    • 6 GB or more
    • 4 GB or more
    • 3 GB or more
    • 2 GB or more
    • 1 GB or more
    • Not sure, for sure some!
  3. 3. What's your harddisk like?

• SSD + Storage HD
    • Fast raided HD
    • Standard HD
    • Not sure.... that the thing that stores my documents right?
  4. 4. What's your Graphics Card like?

• Top end >$400
    • High end >$250
    • More then okay >$150
    • More less okay >$75
    • Low end / on motherboard
    • No idea, do I need one?
  5. 5. What OS are you using?

• W7 / 64 bits
    • W7 / 32 bits
    • Vista / 64 bits
    • Vista / 32 bits
    • XP / 64 bits
    • XP / 32 bits
    • None Windows
    • Not sure, looks nice though.
  6. 6. How do you connect to the Internet

• Cable / ADSL 8Mbit/s or more
    • Cable / ADSL 4Mbit/s or more
    • Cable / ADSL 1Mbit/s or more
    • Cable / ADSL below 1Mbit/s
    • Dialup
    • Not sure

Hello,

just to leave a comment:

i2500K sandy @ 4,2 GHz

8 GB RAM

6950 @ 2GB + 5830 @ 1 GB (6 monitors totaly with eyefinity / 3x24" cockpit, 1x19" overhead, 1x 17" moving map, 1x 10" touch screen FMC)

2 SSD`s

2 HDD`s

Regards...

Interesting to see the overwhelming majority of Win7X64 users...

How can you be sure that the poll is representative? One of the problems of such polls is that the users taking part are those who often tend to advertize their hardware anyway (i.e. because it is fairly new or of higher performance). Hence my doubt as to the poll being truly representative of Aerosoft's customer base.

Any data are better than no data, of course...

Andrew

When a pretty fast Core2Duo E8500 counts as "slower than that" and saw how many people actually have i7 machines, I was surprised and afraid. I still hope that developers in the near future are not going to only have high-end rigs in mind. So I hope they'll keep optimizing their add-on performance so that even a "slow" E8500 can run FSX and some add-ons with something around 15-20 FPS... I mean I don't expect Mega Airport Frankfurt + PMDG 737NG to run smoothly, but future add-ons from the size and quality of the Aerosoft Airbus X on GAP Bremen X should still be running with a more than acceptable performance (which they do at the moment - even MAP Munich X and add-ons like the PMDG MD-11 are supposed to be surprisingly easy on the framerate).

I'm not saying that developers are "wasting" frames by not optimizing enough, I'm just afraid that they stop optimizing because the majority of their customer base has an i7@4.5 GHZ, 16 GB RAM, a GeForce GTX 590 and two SSDs anyway.

I personally think this was a great Poll as to give developers an idea as to where their loyal customers stand.As for me ,I shall be updating but may take a little longer than 3 months.But in saying that.I don't think that it's very cheap to run a lot of the FSX software on a small sized computer do to the FSX engine. You need a mid size and reasonably priced computer to High end and costly computer to run a lot of this stuff.Especially if your running a lot of scenery and aircraft at the same time.Yes you can tweak and set up hangars.But in the end your sliders will always end up to the (LEFT).Now mind you this is not always/really the developers problem.So the the question really become a s a developer,what technique/s can I use to minimize the Frame Rates for mid sized computers users.Plus letting us know what type/size computer was used when taking photos for scenery ready to be SOLD to the client. Any ways, thanks for the Pol and Forum to express our thoughts and ideas. Great job Staff. :excellenttext_s:

Hello Simmers,

here my comment:

i use a AMD X4 Quad Core at 3 GHZ, a ATI 5830 with 1 GB DDR5 RAM, 8 GB DDR2 RAM and a 750 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200 with 32 MB Cache, System and FSX on one HD, WIN7 64 Home Premium , FSX + ACC Pack + many many Add Ons are in Use, actually i fly the PMDG 737-800 NGX with about 15-25 FPS in the VC.

Regards

Ralf Schmidt

• Aerosoft

I am missing an option for the storage question: I am running purely from SSD, I don't use HD's any more (except for external backups)

You must have invested some serious money in that. I think there are so few people that can do that it did not seem worth the category.

Due to be based away from home I've been doing all my simming on a laptop, an old core2duo t9400 at 2.53, 4gb ram and an ati hd3650 with 512mb dedicated ram.. I use FSX only with the diamond katana, do-27 and the pmdg 737ngx, however i need to run FSX with really low settings which isn't much of a problem to me, as long as it is smooth and the ac looks good (anti-aliasing is the only thing i wont give up) I'm happy :).

I'm running FSX on a laptop that's already three years old. It was quite high end when I bought it though, running an intel core2 duo at 2x 2.53Ghz, 4 gig ram, 2x 500 GB hdd and an Nvidia GeForce 9600M GT . I installed a 64bit windows 7 prof on it, but it came originally with windows vista 32 bit.

I'm hoping it'll keep working for a while, as I don't have the funds to start from scratch (and there's not much possibility in updating a laptop).

It's not the best system anymore, but years of experience, and testing and tweaking got me a pretty solid FSX setup, that will keep running reasonably fine no matter what I throw at it.

As a flightsimmer, but also as a reviewer, I see a lot of new products making a pass over my system, and one trend I seem to note, is that the respected developers seem to be able to increase the visual quality of their products, without making them harder to run. It's sometimes even the other way around: newer and better looking products that run better than older and worse looking stuff... with my system, I can only applaud this...

Even if I do not run FSX, but some Railworks addons instead. Here are a few words from a train driver.

The last update for Railworks is a little.... hardware hungry. Still, my Aerosoft addons for it work nice and are not worse than the other tracks or locos. The Altenburg Wildau Route is much more detailed than other routes and still it has the same framerate and performance

Looking at the results of the poll - are the pilots better equipped than us, train drivers?

I doubt that. The average user does not have the best CPU available and does not spend 500 Euro on a graphic card which makes the noise of a plane propeller, not even mentioning the power consumption.

Thanks Mathijs for taking the time to get such feedback from the user base. I think Aerosoft are really pushing ahead, both themselves and the sim community in general, with their focus on increasing quality whilst also keeping things pretty even keel for both the avid and experienced enthusiasts, as well as those not so experienced or just for the fun of it users as well. To me this really shows in both your products, current and pending, as well as in the whole website and your forums. So congratulations for the great work and many thanks for all the Aerosoft guys perserverance and patience in providing for and supporting such a avid and diverse International community of users, who often aren't always that easy to keep happy.

• Upvote 1

I've got an Acer Predator G3610 with:

-a Intel Core i7 2600 @3,4GHz

-a 1TB SATA

-8GB RAM

-a nVidia GeForce GTX560Ti

-Win 7 HP 64bit

It's really great Entertainment to fly FSX on it!

• Aerosoft

Thanks Mathijs for taking the time to get such feedback from the user base. I think Aerosoft are really pushing ahead, both themselves and the sim community in general, with their focus on increasing quality whilst also keeping things pretty even keel for both the avid and experienced enthusiasts, as well as those not so experienced or just for the fun of it users as well. To me this really shows in both your products, current and pending, as well as in the whole website and your forums. So congratulations for the great work and many thanks for all the Aerosoft guys perserverance and patience in providing for and supporting such a avid and diverse International community of users, who often aren't always that easy to keep happy.

Thanks for the kind words!

I am very surprised about the W7/64 numbers. I agree it is by far the best platform for serious games but I had not idea it was going so fast.

Congrats Aerosoft to the great products. I have a large variety of Aerosoft products and I have invested a lot of money. I am somehow worried about MS FLIGHT and that none of today's products will be compatible!

• Aerosoft

In my opinion, this poll is a good idea, - but... should it not be the aim to program software for each type of PC setup?

David

In an ideal world, yes.

But just look at the amount of 64 bit users here that obviously have plenty of memory. Right now we are not tapping into that at all (all sims are 32 bit now, so it only helps to get some OS stuff out of the way), but when we could things would look a lot better. And extra 3 Gb of memory to play with makes a LOT of difference if you have to handle a lot of data.

My system is a FTS Celsius W410

Intel i7-2600 (3,40 GHz, 8 MB Cache) (Win7 Perf Index: 7,6)

Chipset Intel® Q67 Express

4GB DDR3-1333 (8 GB planned) (Win7 Perf Index: 7,6)

120GB OCZ Vertex3 on SATA-3 (system and FSX) (Win7 Perf Index: 7,8)

500GB 7.2 SATAT-3 HDD (storage)

NVidia GeForce GTX460SE (Win7 Perf Index: 7,3)

2x 19" TFT at 1280x1024

With this actual hardware i recognise that FSX is still program for an older architecture - cpu is nearly sleeping while using FSX. ;-)

Greetings, Thomas

• Aerosoft

Hello,

I have got an AMD 1090T X6 CPU, whats about 6 Core Support?

Greetings, Bastian

X-plane 10 will love 6 cores, it means that at least 5 aircraft will fly around with fully accurate flight models around you. And believe me if you seen one of them taxi in front of you the robotic FSX aircraft look silly.

FSX will also use all cores, certainly if you are not flying straight and level.

Thanks for taking the time to figure out what your customer base is working with ;) A lot of companies create their games with the latest and greatest and when it's time to sell them not everyone gets to experience it the same way...