Maybe one of you knowledgeable gentlemen could riddle me this:

I am looking to buy a PC for the sole purpose of running FSX with scenery / major airport add-ons. I have been offered the below package:

Dell Precision

2 x 500GB Hard Disks

512 MB NVIDIA Quadro

One Intel® Xeon® E3-1225 (Quad Core, 3.1GHz, 6MB, 2GT)

I need this PC to run FSX smoothly operating complicated aeroplanes within UK VFR scenery ramped up to a reasonable rate. Any thoughts on this package? Would you substitute the above graphics card for an alternative known to run FSX better? All thoughts welcome.

Cheers guys.

Pol1W.

Ok cool, this is what I need to know.

I could get an alienware Dell aurora with 3.4GHz intel core i7-2600 quad. clocked to 3.9GHZ. that comes with Geforce GTX560Ti. 6Gb memory. Do we think that option might be more suitable? I've not got that many add-ons at the moment, with my current set up: 767 captain SID from EGNM with the VFR scenery runs at about 7FPS!!

Soooo many options!!

Cheers chaps.

Pol1w

Guest Jonas2409
Ok cool, this is what I need to know.

I could get an alienware Dell aurora with 3.4GHz intel core i7-2600 quad. clocked to 3.9GHZ. that comes with Geforce GTX560Ti. 6Gb memory. Do we think that option might be more suitable? I've not got that many add-ons at the moment, with my current set up: 767 captain SID from EGNM with the VFR scenery runs at about 7FPS!!

Soooo many options!!

Cheers chaps.

Pol1w

You should have 20-50 fp/s with this components^^

I have the same PC !

I like the sound of those figures! Jonas: Are you happy with your machine? Dell are offering a deal on that specific model at the moment. I'm very tempted! I've heard of people investing twice the money only to find their new system still struggles with FSX. Are you running many ad-ons?

If I run the Hawker Hunter at EGNM i get about 25-35 FPS.

Not that I'm obsessed with LBA or anything!!!.............

P1W.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to all for your input. I have gone for the Alienware option. Will let you know how I get on. Incidentally, I can't change my profile picture. Anyone else had issues? tried .JPG, .EPS, everything. Anyway, looking forward to the new set up.

Pol1w

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Chaps,

Aurora R3 has arrived. Took 3 weeks to arrive from ordering. The OS is 64 bit Windows 7 professional, so far I have installed fsx, VFR scenery, track IR5, CS 757/ 767, Airbus X, FEX, GEX, UTX, Manchester xtreme, fly Tampa Hong Kong, madeira etc... (over 100gb of add ons,...)

Performance is excellent. Minimum 30fps on highest settings. Very pleased indeed.

Regards

POL1W