Flaps

Prozac

Wondering if any of you guys woth real world Katana experience can comment on the use of flaps. My GA experience is pretty much limited to Cessnas so I realize my point of reference is a long ways off, but it seems like full flaps in the Aerosoft Katana are perhaps overly effective as a drag device. Don't get me wrong...I've had a lot of fun flying some REALLY tight VFR patterns using full flaps to get me to the runway very quickly but I'd like to know if this is really how the real world airplane behaves? Thanks and BTW Marcel, the improvements in v1.02 are much appreciated. Looking forward to the Porter!

This is how the real aircraft behaves. You have what is basically a glider wing that really doesn't want to lose it's lift, so the full flap position is specifically to induce more drag, which is why it has such a low Vfe of 81 Kias

That makes sense. Pretty much negates the need to ever slip the aircraft which is a shame in the sim since the flight model is so good. I'm guessing most approaches are made with partial flaps in real world ops?

No, not really because this is another of those planes that won't `go down and slow down`. It's such a clean design that you need the full flap setting or else you can get into ground float problems when it seems the plane just will not stop flying.

Knowing this you HAVE to prepare for it with full flaps on short finals.

The other method is to get to full flap on late downwind or base, then simply use power to control the descent. The C1 uses this method in this video

http://www.youtube.c...feature=related

About 1.09 full flaps are applied.

The slow landing speed means a minimal roll out and easy on the brakes. There's not a lot of weight to stop!

• Upvote 1