ENGM pushback

KingCat

I think the pushback procedure at gate 50 at ENGM is not quite correct.

The airplane (e.g. PMDG B744) is pushed back straight for a short while, and then the pushback stops without turning the airplane to the right or left. Then the familiar message "Please set parkingbrakes" comes up.

The pushback at this gate is too short in my opinion.

Jon

Most stand have a regular push straight out. And according to the official push back procedure, planes pushing back from gate 50 shall be pushed straight back cleared of Golf and Foxtrot. How is that compared to the pushback you got?

Pushback procedures according to the Norwegian AIP

https://www.ippc.no/norway_aip/current/AIP/AD/ENGM/EN_AD_2_ENGM_2-5_en.pdf

Parking map showing the start positions mentioned in the above document.

https://www.ippc.no/norway_aip/current/AIP/AD/ENGM/EN_AD_2_ENGM_2-3_en.pdf

If you look at the official Jeppesen charts, you can see that when you're taxiing to runway 01R, you have to use taxiway G and then S.

That means that when you're starting from gate 50, you have to make an almost 180 degree turn to the right with a B744 to get to taxiway G without hitting any airport vehicles or carts with the wingtips. A turn to the left means you get very close to the jetway of gate 50 with your wingtips.

So official or not, in my opinion the pushback is too short and awkward. Especially when using a B744.

Jon

Pax 747's are pretty rare at OSL from what I gather. They mostly get 777-200/300 and A330/340's out of the big ones.

Before the new system at OSL the takeoff runway was 01L 19R. It's all game now, but the heavy's mostly use the western runway since it's quite a bit longer. So you would just need a small turn on to G and head west towards N