FSC 9 - Flight Levels

cbd80

Hi,

With version 8.6 of FSC it used to given you the correct flight level (odd/even depending on direction) when you created a high level flight plan.

I haven't been able to get version 9 to do this, and quite often when I click on the flight level to change it, the value goes to 0.

Am I doing something wrong or is there a bug?

Chris

Hi,

With version 8.6 of FSC it used to given you the correct flight level (odd/even depending on direction) when you created a high level flight plan.

I haven't been able to get version 9 to do this, and quite often when I click on the flight level to change it, the value goes to 0.

Am I doing something wrong or is there a bug?

Chris

Hi Chris,

the "FL" function in the flight plan window has changed with version 9.0.

See manual, chapter 12.1 Operating modes, paragraph arc distance, an exact explanation of how it works.

Regards,

Volker

Volker,

Thanks for the reply. I had missed that section when I looked at the manual.

So, it seems there is now no option to be given an optimal flight level or at least be told that your flight should be odd or even?

Unless I'm still missing something it seems the functionality has been changed in favour of presenting an arc. As I use mainly FMC based aircraft this is of little importance to me.

Is it possible to put this previous feature back in please?

Chris

Volker,

Is it possible to put this previous feature back in please?

Chris

Hi Chris,

the answer is NO, because the function in 8.x works only in the planning stages, the FL did not work during the flight, because FL was just a placeholder.

In version 9.x, FL now has a dual function, first during the planning phase (as known) and also during the flight, as described.

In other words, more value for your money.

Regards,

Volker

Hi Volker,

Thanks for the explanation. I must say it is disappointing to see an important aspect of flight planning dropped from the feature list. I will have to go back to doing those calculations by hand.

Though, of course I do have the option of going back to version 8.6.

Chris

Hi Volker,

Thanks for the explanation. I must say it is disappointing to see an important aspect of flight planning dropped from the feature list. I will have to go back to doing those calculations by hand.

Though, of course I do have the option of going back to version 8.6.

Chris

Hi Chris,

perhaps here is a communication problem, because English is not my native language. The FL function works in version 9.x in the planning phase as well as in 8.x. In version 8.x had the function of FL during the flight no effect. You could change the FL in Verrsion 8.x without it had an impact. So I do not understand why you want to go back to version 8.x, so it makes no sense. The FL function works in version 9.x, just as in 8.x with the added aspect of the function FL also has an effect during the flight has.

Volker

Hi Chris,

perhaps here is a communication problem, because English is not my native language. The FL function works in version 9.x in the planning phase as well as in 8.x. In version 8.x had the function of FL during the flight no effect. You could change the FL in Verrsion 8.x without it had an impact. So I do not understand why you want to go back to version 8.x, so it makes no sense. The FL function works in version 9.x, just as in 8.x with the added aspect of the function FL also has an effect during the flight has.

Volker

Hi Volker,

I think we have had a communication problem. I now understand your explanation.

My problem is that FL in the planning phase in V9.0 Build:16-03-2011 does not function the same as FL in the planning phase in V8.6.

FL in V8.6 would only allow Odd flight level if your track was eastbound i.e. FL310, FL330 etc. And would only allow Even flight level if your track was westbound i.e. FL300, FL320 etc.

V9.0 will allow any FL with no restriction on flying East or West. Also, it gives a start FL of FL340 every time, which may be too high for a short flight.

This function is not the same between V8.6 and V9.0.

I hope that is a little clearer. :)

Chris

Volker,

I have found that I can get V9.0 FL in planning phase to work correctly if I do not use SID/STAR.

But, when I use SID/STAR in V9.0 FL in planning phase does not function correctly. There is no limit on the FL I can set.

Regards,

Chris

Volker,

I have found that I can get V9.0 FL in planning phase to work correctly if I do not use SID/STAR.

But, when I use SID/STAR in V9.0 FL in planning phase does not function correctly. There is no limit on the FL I can set.

Regards,

Chris

Hi Chris,

I know our program very well because I participate in programming. I do not understand what you mean. The change in FL has ONLY an internal effect on the calculation of time, altitude and fuel consumption. Since we are not have an altitude management, the function FL has no influence on the visible part of the route and flyable. Can you give an example, what kind of problem appears?

Regards,

Volker

Hi Volker,

I think everything is ok now. I think the problem was me and the way I was setting the flight plan up and my use of the 'High Alt Plan' button during creation.

The last few flights I have planned seem to work ok.

Many thanks,

Chris

Hi Volker,

I think everything is ok now. I think the problem was me and the way I was setting the flight plan up and my use of the 'High Alt Plan' button during creation.

The last few flights I have planned seem to work ok.

Many thanks,

Chris

Volker,

The flight plans that I have found to work are when I start FSC 9 before FSX.

If I start FSC 9 after FSX, that is when the problems I was experiencing occur.

Chris