Stuttgart has disappeared!

rocky

OK, now this is a strange one. Last week I had a problem with FSX where I could not start it. This followed a BSOD. Anyway, to cut a long story short, I deleted FSX and everything from it's own drive and then installed a previous backup that I had made about two months earlier. Unfortunately during that time I had made a few purchases one of which was Stuttgart. All the addons have loaded fine, with no problems, except for Stuttgart. For some reason it simply does not exist within FSX. It loaded correctly, it shows in the Aerosoft launcer, it shows in the library, it is at the top of the library list, but when I load a flight at Stuttgart I am surrounded by a default airport! I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling twice now but with no success. Help as always very much appreciated, thanks guys.

Hi Howard,

Although Stuttgart is showing at the top of the library, it may be worth clicking on 'Edit' and checking that the path to the scenery (where is was installed) is correct.

You could also delete the scenery library entry and add it manually. That should ensure your scenery library is being updated.

Chris

Hi Howard,

Although Stuttgart is showing at the top of the library, it may be worth clicking on 'Edit' and checking that the path to the scenery (where is was installed) is correct.

You could also delete the scenery library entry and add it manually. That should ensure your scenery library is being updated.

Chris

Thanks for the quick reply Chris, appreciated. I have to work today :cry_s: but will be back in FSX this evening. I will check out your suggestion and see how I get on. I'll keep you updated later. Thanks...

Hi Howard, Although Stuttgart is showing at the top of the library, it may be worth clicking on 'Edit' and checking that the path to the scenery (where is was installed) is correct. You could also delete the scenery library entry and add it manually. That should ensure your scenery library is being updated. Chris

Hi Chris, unless I'm not doing something wrong, I'm afraid I have had no joy. The address seems to be OK. I deleted stuttgart from the library, then manually added the 'German airports 1 - Stuttgart X' folder to the addon scenery folder. And then added it in the library. Still no good...

Hmm.... This is strange. Is there any reason why you have put the scenery in the addon scenery folder? By default Stuttgart X should install to the following (or similar) G:\Flight Simulator X\Aerosoft\German Airports 1 - Stuttgart X

Check your scenery.cfg file: Go to the following path C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX and open your scenery.cfg file in a text editor like Notepad.

Do a search for 'stuttgart' and hopefully you should find an entry similar to the following:

[Area.465]

Title=Stuttgart X

Active=TRUE

Layer=465

Required=FALSE

Local=Aerosoft\German Airports 1 - Stuttgart X

Your area number will be different and I wouldn't suggest changing it. Check that 'Local =' is pointing at where you have installed the scenery. Also check that you don't have multiple entries for Stuttgart X in your scenery.cfg as this could cause problems.

Have you used any freeware Stuttgart sceneries or installed 3rd party AFCAD files that could be conflicting?

Chris

Hi Shaun, yes, it shows as being activated. It sounds as though I misunderstood you Chris, I thought you suggested I added the scenery manually? Should I not have done this? No afcads or freeware Stuttgart sceneries. I will check it out later this afternoon, thanks...

Hi Shaun, yes, it shows as being activated. It sounds as though I misunderstood you Chris, I thought you suggested I added the scenery manually? Should I not have done this? No afcads or freeware Stuttgart sceneries. I will check it out later this afternoon, thanks...

No, you didn't misunderstand me. As a manual installation didn't work, it occurred to me that you may have multiple entries in your scenery.cfg from your previous attempts.

Hopefully Shaun's post will help you if it has been an issue with the launcher/installer.

Chris

Hi Shaun, Chris... I followed the procedure you suggest with the link Shaun, but with no success I'm afraid. Chris, I checked the scenery cfg file, there is indeed another entry, pointing to the addon scenery folder. However, I have tried turning the entry off with FALSE and also deleting the entry, but again with no joy. Here are a couple of pics. Note the incorrect mesh too...

5092.jpg3021.jpg

It looks like you have the photo base of the scenery. Have you checked in the scenery folder to ensure the .bgl files have installed there? By my count you should have 68 .bgl files in the folder.

Also scan your FSX drive(s) for EDDS and just make sure any files that come up are associated with the Aerosoft product.

Chris

Hi Chris, I did a scan of the drive and came up with all entries relevant to Aerosoft except for several which related to navdata associated with PMDG and Ifly. I thought it might be easier if I attached a pic of the scenery folder...

193Capture.jpg

Ok. I can see your problem now. It is those bgl.blob files.

Make a copy of the scenery folder. Then rename all the .bgl.blob files to .bgl

That should then solve your problem. Any that say .off I would not change. I've attached a screenshot of my folder below.

Ok. I can see your problem now. It is those bgl.blob files.

Make a copy of the scenery folder. Then rename all the .bgl.blob files to .bgl

That should then solve your problem. Any that say .off I would not change. I've attached a screenshot of my folder below.

Hi Chris, I don't believe this.... I've made the suggested changes and deleted the .blob extensions, but still no change :eyepop_s:

Hi Shaun, something is definitely amiss for some reason. What are the blob. extensions that appeared in the entries and are why AES files missing? Anyway, can you suggest a way forward. I am happy to uninstall and try from scratch, however, this I have already tried...

Have you tried renaming the .blob extension so it just reads .bgl?

Also, are you using AES?

FSX will only read .bgl files. For whatever purpose the .blob has been added to deactivate the files. This could have something to do with the launcher. Removing the .blob should make the scenery work fine.

Chris

Have you tried renaming the .blob extension so it just reads .bgl?

Also, are you using AES?

FSX will only read .bgl files. For whatever purpose the .blob has been added to deactivate the files. This could have something to do with the launcher. Removing the .blob should make the scenery work fine.

Chris

No Chris, do you mean the affected files will have an entry such as bgl.bgl?

Hi. No, the files should just be .bgl

E.g myfile.bgl

Just right click on the file and 'rename'. Just delete .blob. You will get a warning that you are going to change a file extension. Accept and make the change.

Sorry I wasn't clearer earlier. Don't worry about the AES files for now, that can be sorted later.

Chris

Hi. No, the files should just be .bgl

E.g myfile.bgl

Just right click on the file and 'rename'. Just delete .blob. You will get a warning that you are going to change a file extension. Accept and make the change.

Sorry I wasn't clearer earlier. Don't worry about the AES files for now, that can be sorted later.

Chris

Chris, I have already done this... with no success.

Obviously, Rocky didn't name those files himself. Perhaps a Google search is in order before just renaming them?

Perhaps. However, a backup of the scenery folder would be sufficient.

I have the scenery installed and working and the files like all others should have the extension .bgl

As far as I'm aware regards scenery, .bgl is the only extension FSX will recognise.

Unless the files are corrupt, changing the extension to solely .bgl will resolve the issue.

My suspicion is that the Launcher is responsible for the .blob issue.

Chris

Chris, I have already done this... with no success.

Ok. Due to the .blob issue I doubt the uninstaller will remove the files correctly.

Run the uninstaller again. After doing so, go to your installation folder and make sure the Stuttgart X folder and sub folders have been deleted.

Then reinstall. You should at least have a fresh set of files to work with.

Chris

Ok. Due to the .blob issue I doubt the uninstaller will remove the files correctly. Run the uninstaller again. After doing so, go to your installation folder and make sure the Stuttgart X folder and sub folders have been deleted. Then reinstall. You should at least have a fresh set of files to work with. Chris

Hi Chris, did a complete uninstall. Checked for any remnanats in the scenery and texture folders, none there. Rebooted, installed and the scenery files are the same as before, with the .blob extensions? The texture folder has all the files with the BMP extension. There is also another folder in there called Default, which house 4 trees BMP files.