ILS DME issues at several airports

tango4

Hi again,

I'm asking for help regarding a DME issue on ILS approaches on several airfields.

In order to simplify, I chose one example to illustrate, ILS 26 (OLW) at ORLY FSX.

When I look at the charts, the DME OLW is supposed to read 8.3Nm at 3000ft at GlideSlope Capture, but it reads much more.

So I tried to figure out why and here is what I think: it seems that the DME is measured from the localizer antennas, but the DME is normally at the same place as the Glide Antennas (and that is the case for ILS 26 at Orly).

I do not know if this issue is a mistake in the scenery design or if it is related to FSX.

If something could be done, that would be great, because it is annoying when performing an ILS.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards.

Charles MOULIN

LFPG ATC

Hi Shaun. I guess you moines at the wrong airport !

You are talking about CDG (LFPG) where I also have that issue. The identifiers you are talking about are matching those at CDG.

Plus there is only a 26 at Orly (no 26R or 26L).

Regards.

Charles MOULIN

Sorry, my first sentence was "I guess you looked at the wrong airport".

Damn iPhone !

Yes you are correct, I was.

What is the distance you know it to be as the DME is placed where the other runways DME's are placed.

Are we looking at a whole runway distance plus a little more.

Acutally yes that's it.

-What I should see:

The DME antenna is located at the same place as the glide path antenna. So basically, the DME should read zero when the aircraft is at the Touch Down Zone.

-What I see in FSX:

When the aircraft is at the TDZ, the DME reads something like 2Nm (if I remember well), and after a few tests, I was able to confirm that the DME reads zero when overflying the LLZ antenna (a bit after the end of the runway).

Hope this is a bit clearer.

Charles MOULIN