Still Having Some Icing Issues

Chris_327

Hi all,

Just installed the service park, but I'm still having a bit of trouble with carb icing.

No matter what the weather, I seem to get pretty much instantaneous icing, the moment I reduce power. For example, I did a circuit today at Fall City, (27'C) entered base and engaged the carb heat and reduced power. Took the carb heat off on final and then when I went for full throttle to complete to touch and go; I don't get anywhere like full power.

I'm assuming this is carb icing, as it seems to have the indicators of it, but is it really possible to get icing when the engine has only been running long enough for one circuit, and in 27'C temperatures? It's starting to get a bit annoying, as I seem to have to fly everywhere with the carb heat on these days!

Anyone have any suggestions or similar problems after the service pack?

Chris

Same problem here, I've given up now and use it in simple mode so I get a brand new plane every time I use it. I still get all the other stuff, ground checks, oil, fuel, and flight dynamics, I just care if the engine breaks anymore.

It seems your not understanding how and when carb ice can form. Carb Ice can form at almost any temprature given there is enough moisture in the air. Here is a nice chart to show you. http://www.kfackler.com/gtuf/carb_ice.html

So if you said it's 27ºC out thats around 81ºF (sorry the chart is in ºF) Ok so look up the 81 in ambiant temprature. To get ice to form the dew point only has to be around 38F so thats what 3C? So around 20% humidity. Chances are the dew point was higher. Take a look at the chart even at 40% humidity you well into the serious icing at gliding power. Dont let that "Serious gliding power" fool you. Its just a fancy way of saying anying under cruise power.

I understand how icing occurs, I was just unsure about how quickly it occurs on the Katana compared to reality.

Using the above example of just one circuit (looking at the REX metar, temp is 27 and dewpoint is 24; well inside icing zone), is it actually possible that from reducing to cruise power at the start of the downwind leg, to engaging the carb heat at base, there can be sufficient ice buildup to result in not having enough power for the climb out?

Cruise power could not have been set for more than 2 minutes, so in reality is this long enough for icing of this severity to occur?

In real life I've flown in conditions according to the chart that would result in icing but I've never seen it or heard of it occuring like this!

Yes carb icing can build very quickly at times. Especially when the dew point and ambiant temprature are so close. I was out flying yesterday in a Cessna 150 in RL and had some carb ice build within 5min of throttling back to 2300rmp at my cruise altitude.