Anchorage X

alainneedle1

FSX DX10 is only a "Preview DX10". It was the first DX10 game (I think) and why it just says preview and not just DX10 like you see in other games. It's not a full rendition of DX10. Really FSX was out just before DX10 cards hit the market. IMO I'd just use DX9 if I were you.

I got PANC today I noticed there is a DX10 option but for daytime only. Not sure this help you.

How are the framerates conpared to default (which are not that great IMHO)?

I've only tried it with the NGX and it was a LIKE A HAMMER! :dumb_me_s:

To compare, I was pulling about 20 FPS with the NGX and the default, and now it's about 11 FPS with all the traffic turned off. It is really awesome though, and I will use it with a smile. I think the MD-11 will run better there. I don't have the greating computer, but it will generally run FSDT sceneries with no problems. Just buy it!

Thank you for the info., DX10 for day time only is a no go for me, I understand that DX10 is a preview only but with the right driver and the right settings in the Nvidia Inspector you can get some really good performance with FSX, the only thing I have to deal with is some flickering runways (not everywhere).

Here are some testing I did with payware plane and payware sceneries in DX10 in day time and at night, I pushed the plane to the max with strong wind and all sliders to the right but car traffic at 30% day time and 50% night time for immersion, is it perfect...naaaa but a lot better compare to DX9 as I don't have any shimmerings what so ever, anyway here is the testing I did, you will also find my PC. spec. below. frame rate unlimited, I have no tweak what so ever in the fsx.CFG but TBM at 120 and that's it.

I used fraps only without editing, some of the stutterings are caused by fraps and youtube as I had only some small one when testing. By the way you'll notice I don't have flickerings light at night.

Here the cat jumped on my lap at takeoff..

So is DX10 perfect...no...but to me a LOT better compare to DX9.

Thermaltake Xaser VI Full Tower

Motherboard: Gigabyte UD-9

CPU: I7 980x @ 4677.4MHz as of 10/21/2010

RAM: Suoer Talent 2004MHz

Timing @ 7-7-6-20 1T

CPU COOLER: Noctua NH-D14

PSU: ABS Targan 1300W

SSD OS: Crucial SSD Sata III 128GB

SSD game: OCZ Z-Drive R2 P84 PCI Express 256GB for FSX

HARD DRIVE: 1 x 300GB Velociraptor +

3 x 150GB all at 10,000rpm

VIDEO CARD:Zotac GTX 480 AMP! 840/1680/2052

Yeah maybe it's faster because it's not fully implemented..as in the previous post saying it's only a demo. You do realize you aren't getting the full picture in DX10 mode, there's a lot of texture issues. Regardless of that the top scenery producers already take whatever advantages DX10 content has anyways.

Yeah maybe it's faster because it's not fully implemented..as in the previous post saying it's only a demo. You do realize you aren't getting the full picture in DX10 mode, there's a lot of texture issues. Regardless of that the top scenery producers already take whatever advantages DX10 content has anyways.

I understand that but demo or not I get more out of FSX compare to DX9, I may not get the full DX10 but I don't get less compare to DX9 (flickering runways aside). By the way there is a fix for that... http://forum.avsim.n...flickering-fix/

My point was to illustrate what one can do with the right driver and settings in FSX DX10, I mean try to push a plane like I did, full throttle, with all sliders to the right in DX9 without looking at a slide show..(by the way, the last vid. had light bloom on....sacrilege) ..so if one can get better perf. in DX10 preview with the right driver and settings eliminating shimmerings, flickering lights at night not to mention the fact that I had to chase my tail all the time trying to tweak in DX9, something I don't have to do anymore, I'll take DX10 any day of the week.

Have you ever bought an Aerosoft product? I don't recall a single one not working in DX10 mode, but they obviously work better in DX9. Freeware that's patched from old FS9 files is what you should be concerned about.

I have several products from Aerosoft, ManhattanX, US Cities X and others, I stoped buying their US Cities X because I also fly at night and their Cities X do not have night texture, I understand the $$ decision from Aerosoft but it's not for me.

Since I fly DX10 only and I see something like "DX10 option for day time only" it's a no go for me, I don't want a company choosing for me how I should fly over their sceneries, they should have everything in it and let the customer choose what he want to do with it, but like I explained above it's a $$ decision for them.

As for your statement about sceneries working better in DX9....I would have agreed with you 1 > 2 years ago, as of today with the new drivers from Nvidia and the right settings in the Nvidia Inspector I beg to differ, as you can see in all the video I posted above the performance is greatly improved without the DX10 problems we had before, the proof is in the pudding.

In one of the video I posted above I used the new Carenado Centurion T210M and what a surprise to me when I saw that I had DX10 cockpit shadow in this product, that's what I'm talking about when a company like Carenado goes all out with their product... http://www.carenado....ortal/index.php and when I see something like that the company can call me a repeat customer.

I have no problems with peoples who don't care about DX10, night textures or cockpit shadows but this is something I do not want to fly without anymore, to each his own.

FSX, Anchorage X and the DX10 Preview

If you are running FSX under VISTA and have a DX10-capable graphic card, you have the possibility to activate the so called "DX10 Preview" mode.

As the name suggests, this mode is only a preview of what could be possible with DX10 and the flight simulator, if DX10 were a finished product.

At the moment there is no documentation on this mode for add-on developers and has a large number of limitations that make it impossible to create scenery such as Anchorage X with the same quality as DX9 offers.

Dude these posts are secretly about you, and some magical way you got DX10 to work. Even though every publisher I know of uses .DDS files for textures, which makes SCENERY content DX10 compatible. Has nothing to do with night and day, it has everything to do with using the Nvidia transcoding tools that come with DX9 being applied to textures. But then again you've never read the SDK have you? You don't even know the difference between a .BMP and a .DDS, in fact you never even bothered to read the above statement before posting your diatribe about the product.

FSX, Anchorage X and the DX10 Preview

If you are running FSX under VISTA and have a DX10-capable graphic card, you have the possibility to activate the so called "DX10 Preview" mode.

As the name suggests, this mode is only a preview of what could be possible with DX10 and the flight simulator, if DX10 were a finished product.

At the moment there is no documentation on this mode for add-on developers and has a large number of limitations that make it impossible to create scenery such as Anchorage X with the same quality as DX9 offers.

Dude these posts are secretly about you, and some magical way you got DX10 to work. Even though every publisher I know of uses .DDS files for textures, which makes SCENERY content DX10 compatible. Has nothing to do with night and day, it has everything to do with using the Nvidia transcoding tools that come with DX9 being applied to textures. But then again you've never read the SDK have you? You don't even know the difference between a .BMP and a .DDS, in fact you never even bothered to read the above statement before posting your diatribe about the product.

Nothing magical about having DX10 working, you just have to spend a little time trying, look for my threads in REX forums, you'll also see other guys who made DX10 working after trying my settings with the right driver.

Read post # 5, unless he is mistaking the DX10 option is for day time only (he got the product) and I fly at night, developers do not always make their products fully DX10 compatible for FSX, have you try Orbx AI....all plane are white....no paint (texture) on them....anyway that's the end of it for me.

You stay safe flying.

• Aerosoft

I have several products from Aerosoft, ManhattanX, US Cities X and others, I stoped buying their US Cities X because I also fly at night and their Cities X do not have night texture, I understand the $$ decision from Aerosoft but it's not for me.

Since I fly DX10 only and I see something like "DX10 option for day time only" it's a no go for me, I don't want a company choosing for me how I should fly over their sceneries, they should have everything in it and let the customer choose what he want to do with it, but like I explained above it's a $$ decision for them.

As for your statement about sceneries working better in DX9....I would have agreed with you 1 > 2 years ago, as of today with the new drivers from Nvidia and the right settings in the Nvidia Inspector I beg to differ, as you can see in all the video I posted above the performance is greatly improved without the DX10 problems we had before, the proof is in the pudding.

In one of the video I posted above I used the new Carenado Centurion T210M and what a surprise to me when I saw that I had DX10 cockpit shadow in this product, that's what I'm talking about when a company like Carenado goes all out with their product... http://www.carenado....ortal/index.php and when I see something like that the company can call me a repeat customer.

I have no problems with peoples who don't care about DX10, night textures or cockpit shadows but this is something I do not want to fly without anymore, to each his own.

We do care about DX10 but Microsoft does (and did) not. They did not mention any serious information in the SDK, always refused any assistance on it and will never guarantee things will work. Unlikely? Well not really, the beta of W7 SP1 wrecked the DX10 Preview and it took a whole load of calling to find somebody who cared. The same could happen tomorrow.

Now this means that we never fully found it worthwhile to work on DX10 compatibility, certainly not in scenery as some things are just plain impossible in DX10 mode. In aircraft there are also a few issues that can not be solved, but the issues there are not as noticeable. I know there are tricks and tweaks that help (I personally use them) but those can never be officially supported by us, while a much smaller company might be able to.

• Developer

Hi,

I as the developer would like to add a few lines:

I did not make a DX10 version as I did not thought people would ask for it as it has some side effects with flickering default RWY´s

or else despite all beeing said about non supported SDK which is true.

In fact I can (in the case of Anchorage) make a FSX DX10 version, fully working. What you´ll loose is the photo ground polygon with

the ground pictures. Not a big issue as the same ground textures are part of the underlaying Landclass Photo textures. We put the ground polys in to have a "anytime sharp" apperance of the ground when slewing around or flying fast. Photo Landclass texture need some time to load, but once they are loaded they are OK (And they offer you the double resolution compared to the ground polys).

Also I have to exclude the visual appearance of the AFCAd files overlaying the landclass Photo (also flatten and flickering issues) and add a platform with smooth surface to get a smooth surface and not a gravel one (which will happen when removing the Afcad).

And, but maybe also not a show stopper, is that the AES Lite cars and Trains will appear a bit darker during Night.

DX10 version will be backward compatible to DX9, so you can switch between both. For DX9 users I suggest to keep the DX9 version.

Conclusion: Since some customer are asking for a DX10 version I´ll make one. But please wait until you buy it, maybe I´ll come to an unexpected issue which cannot be solved when making the DX10 changes.

Thorsten (sim-wings)

Mathijs, thank you for your reply , I understand the limitation of FSX caused by an unfinished DX10 mode by MS, there will always be a trade off between DX9 and DX10, the major + for me in DX10 is smoothness (FPS), also, the water look a lot better (with the right settings), a lot of developers are showing pictures or vid. of their products in DX10 mode for some of the same reason I just mentionned.

Thorsten, thank you for your educative reply about your product, I also understand the problems and limitations caused by DX10 but like I said before, with the right settings you can solve the flickering lights just to take this one for example, below is a flight I did at night in DX10 over Orbx scenery with car traffic at 60% for immersion purpose, the vid. is "kinda" boring to watch as I am panning around the plane to show that there is no flickering lights, FPS is not that great because of all the sliders been to the right and the car traffics been high but still pretty good.

I flew over Portland (Orbx) with good result, again, my point is not to start a debate between DX9 or DX10, like I said earlier to each his own, but just to show that as of today with the hardware available to us getting more powerful including better GPU drivers and the right settings in the Nvidia's Inspector control panel one can get some prety amazing result in DX10.

Here is the vid., there is no way i can duplicate this result in DX9 without watching a slide show...the stutteringa are mainly caused by fraps and Youtube as I have nor edited this vid. in anyway, what you see is straight out of fraps.

PS: Thank you for making Anchorage DX10, I'll wait for it.