Question about CPUs (I7 930 vs I7 2600K)

Hello fellow hardware gurus,

In my PC, I have an Intel I7 930 cpu. My father in law is looking to buy a new computer, and is considering the I7 2600k.

Here is the interesting part: he is buying a PC from Alienware (Dell owned)...in their config options, the I7 930 is $200 more epxensive than the I7 2600K (which comes clocked from Alienware at 3.9 GHz).

Yet, if I refer to a CPU comparison chart, the I7 2600K @3.4 GHz is almost TWICE as fast as the I7 930.

Anyone know why the I7 930 would be more a more expensive option?

I have overclocked my own 930 to 4 GHz but you can OC the 2600k easily to 4.1 GHz....I would think that the 2600K is the better vaule?

Thanks for your help!

Not sure about the price differences but the 2600 is for sure a better and more future proof CPU!

Thanks Mathijs, I would have thought so. Maybe Alienware is screwed up!

Hello fellow hardware gurus,

In my PC, I have an Intel I7 930 cpu. My father in law is looking to buy a new computer, and is considering the I7 2600k.

Here is the interesting part: he is buying a PC from Alienware (Dell owned)...in their config options, the I7 930 is $200 more epxensive than the I7 2600K (which comes clocked from Alienware at 3.9 GHz).

Yet, if I refer to a CPU comparison chart, the I7 2600K @3.4 GHz is almost TWICE as fast as the I7 930.

Anyone know why the I7 930 would be more a more expensive option?

I have overclocked my own 930 to 4 GHz but you can OC the 2600k easily to 4.1 GHz....I would think that the 2600K is the better vaule?

Thanks for your help!

Mate, without question go for the 2600K!

I have owned BOTH, and the difference is big. FSX has never run smoother with my 2600k overclocked (Make sure to get a good overclock, at least past 4.8 GHZ which is easy on that chip, you wont regret it ;) )

Remember, Alienware is good stuff, but Massively overpriced. I respect what they do, but I build my own systems so I dont deal with them.

Hope this helps, 2600k has many advantages over the old i7 930 etc. More than just speed. I could run FSX on this chip at stock speed, and it was still smoother than my old CPU overclocked.

Enjoy :)

John

Hi John,

Yea I agree with you - I build my own systems too. Even getting a system from Cyberpowerpc is a better value option...

And yes Alienware is overpriced, but my father in law has a huge credit with them so he has to use it for something.

Thanks for the feedback on the 2600K - wow 4.8 GHz is impressive! Is that with aftermarket cooling?

Hi John,

Yea I agree with you - I build my own systems too. Even getting a system from Cyberpowerpc is a better value option...

And yes Alienware is overpriced, but my father in law has a huge credit with them so he has to use it for something.

Thanks for the feedback on the 2600K - wow 4.8 GHz is impressive! Is that with aftermarket cooling?

My pleasure :)

If you have credit with Alienware, then go for it. But sitll try for the 2600k, or request it.

The 4.8 Ghz is impressive :) I'm using a nice watercooling setup, though the great thing about this chip is it runs much cooler than the i7 920/930 etc range, so you hear about people with good aftermarket air coolers getting big overclocks also. It's not that hard at all on this chip.

I'm running an I7 920 @ 4GHz build and recently built a Sandy Bridge I7 2600K rig purely for flight sim, my SB 2600K runs at 4.8GHz but not long after I built it I ran it at 4GHz the same as my I7 920, without doing any benchmarking the SB 2600K seemed a good bit quicker at the same speed ... in fact it seemed quicker than the I7 920 @ 4GHz with the 2600K at its stock speed!

I also chose to go for a Z68 board board for my 2600K and this board will allow me to drop in an Ivy Bridge six core CPU once they are out ... no doubt with a suitable bios flash though.