My Frame Per Second on New Computer

I ran a test today for the first time to see how many frame per seconds my computer would yield in New York City (see pic attached). I was getting 68 as I took off the Kennedy but as soon as I was nearing Manhattan it dropped to 58 FPS. It sometimes got to the low 40s with the outside view. My setting are set at medium with the exception of road traffic (58%). I have no clouds and water resolution at medium. I was flying the PMDG 747. I still got a bit of jumping, however. Outside New York City the computer is running smoothly. My computer is still screwed up because FSX stalls when I try to do replay in NYC. I I welcome your comments.

post-45694-0-33271300-1314318535_thumb.p

The traffic in FSX eats LOADS of FPS, so try to limit traffic as much as you can (25% or less). I suggest you read the post "Why I get 50 FPS and you might not", located in the same forum, it explains how to use the settings in FSX so have best FPS AND visual result!

And everything above 25 FPS is superb!

No.

I am not using light bloom - not important to me. I noticed that in Vegas (with add-on) I was getting 70 fps. The settings are at medium. It does not look bad at all. Traffic and clouds are the big factor. If I set traffic beyond 58% in NYC, I start having frame problems (still in the 40s though). I continue to have problems with FSX - the programs sometimes stalls when I switch from day time to night time and it does not like replays, especially in NYC and other major cities. I believe it is an installation problem. I have to undo everything and start over.

• Aerosoft

What you describe all seems very logical and reasonable. Not sure what you expect but getting 50+ fps over Manhattan is pretty good. It's road traffic that cause the most issues there as I know of no area or scenery with denser car traffic. At max we have counted up to 1500 moving cars, there is no computer that will handle that smoothly. Set if at 25%.

One rule of thumb, if you get consistent frames over 40 you might consider locking it at 35 fps to avoid fluctuation.

I have noticed from reading the posts that most people here get frame per seconds in the high 20s and 30s with the exception of a few of you. I must not complain if I am getting 58 in NYC and high 70s in Vegas. The 3k computer is delivering on FPS, but it could be doing better if I had stuff installed correctly. The game collapses from time to time and I suspect it is due to the installation. I am not a technical person and that's why I need to hire someone with the technical expertise to help me get it installed the right way.

I'd say that you should follow Mathijs advice and try to run FSX on the cheap first by adjusting your settings. If you still do not get the performance you want and you love FSX, then consider investing if a good CPU if you can afford it. You should do this if you care about both...performance and outstanding scenery. If you care about performance only, you can lower the settings to minimum and fly away. To me scenery is important and that's why I trying getting the best CPU in the market. I love the game and it is one of my favorite hobbies.

Best,

Huascar

I am not a technical person and that's why I need to hire someone with the technical expertise to help me get it installed the right way.

You not going with the FS-GS service?

Yes I am. I have a meeting with him on Saturday via phone. We'll take a look at the bios and go from there. I will overclock a couple of points if I can, followed by re-installation of games. I have a mess in my computer.

Good. Just be aware that an overclock should only be done AFTER FSX and all your addons are re-installed. Not before.

Also, do you have a seperate HDD for installing FSX on or is it all going on your C drive? A seperate HDD would be better but if not available then make sure you DO NOT install FSX in the default location. Create a new folder at the root of your C drive (same place where your program files and all windows directories are) and simply call it FSX and install in there. I have no doubt that Michael will walk you through these, and other, very important steps.

Did you get the Acceleration expansion for FSX?

Thank you for the recommendation. As far as I know I only have the C drive. I do not have immediate access to my computer at the moment as I am on travel.

I have FSX acceleration. I bought the package. I wonder how important it is to have acceleration. The game may work better without it. In the case I would download SP2. Do you think adding acceleration can inconvenience the game? I do not care about the war planes.