New Computer - Deeply Disappointed

Dear FSX Gamers:

I just received my $3365 Allienware Aurora and I must say I am deeply disappointed with the graphics. Mathijs was right about spending a lot of money on a system that in the end might not deliver. How can a 3k computer hesitate in a FSX mega city? My old 2.7GHz Window Vista performs as good as the new allienware. Let me try to explain some of the problems I am having and if you can share your thoughts on how I can fix these problems I would appreciate it.

Issue#1 – When I open FSX the horizon looks remarkably shiny as if the temperature was 150f. The glare is not normal. The image is not solid and the runways and buildings ahead glare as if there was the huge mirage on the horizon. The buildings in Chicago also glare from a distance.

Issue#2 – When I take off using the PMDG 747, the graphics begin to jump a bit as if the computer was hesitating with the intensity of the game. This is in Chicago. Is this too much to handle for a 3k computer? I called Dell last night and ran a series of test and the CPU is actually delivering the 4.1GHZ. The GeForce 580 is also working to the maximum. Is this a game problem?

Issue#3 – This might be the problem – I can’t download Service Pack 1 because a window comes up asking me to insert FSX disk?

In short, I do not get a smooth image. Chicago is a problem. Why can’t I get a decent graphics on a 3k computer? Is this too much to ask? Why can’t I get the nice images that some of you have posted on the internet? Why is my computer hesitating? I tried lowering the setting but that caused a blue ground (water). I would really appreciate your guidance. I was so excited about taking my hobby to a new level with a nice computer and buying add-ons from this and other sites. I am not ready to throw in the towel on this computer but all appears to be a waste of money. I might return it if everything fails. I need your help before I get rid of this thing. Following are the specs:

Alienware Aurora-R3

Intel Core i7-2600K (8MB Cache) Overclocked Turbo Boost to 4.1GHz

16GB Dual Channel DDR3 at 1600MHz

1 1.5GB GDDR5 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580

1 2TB ( 2x 1TB) SATA II (3Gb/s) 7,200RPM (2 x 32MB Cache)

1 Matte Stealth Black Alienware Aurora w/ 875W Multi-GPU Approved PSU

Huascar

Hi there

First off please go ahead and delete the two duplicate posts from the other 2 threads (i.e. just delete what you wrote and save). It is just going to get too confusing.

Then, go grab a beer or similar and relax. There is nothing wrong with your 3K+ machine. There is everything wrong with your FSX installation and frankly what you're going to need to do is to uninstall FSX completely and start again step by step.

You MUST have at least FSX SP1 installed - without it you are going to see exactly the problems you mention.

So please, go to this post and READ THE WHOLE THING VERY, VERY, VERY CAREFULLY. If anything does not make sense then pop in here and ask. Until you have read the entire post I linked you to please do not do anything more with your FSX installation, other than perhaps uninstall the lot and clean out your registry using CCleaner.

Dude I was as disappointed as you when I recieved my new computer few weeks ago. Its not AS good as yours (gtx 560, 8 gb ram) but I expected more. 10 FPS with a few add-ons!

What helps, is the list above mentioned. Just take a sunday, shut the door, and go through it.

After you've done this, you should visit this site: http://www.venetubo.com/fsx.html

Just upload your .cfg file there it will optimize it for your specific computer. Make sure you make a back-up of the original .cfg before overwriting. This should give you another FPS-boost.

You also should do some experiments with your settings. Turn of any shadows (plane, ground scenery) if you can resign it. Also lower the traffic as much as you can, these settings eat A LOT FPS.

Configuring your system will take some time, it's not that easy ;)

• Aerosoft

First of all, relax, you got a killer computer... you did not waste money. What you got is a modern computer and a simulation that in base very 2002. There is no computer that will run FSX smoothly with all sliders to the right. Even worse, there never will be. BUT if you are not able to update FSX to the latest version you got a version that will be single core capable and brain dead in some other aspects. That's most likely 90% of your problem. So you need to sort out that issue before even looking at fps.

I am not a big fan of tweaks and services that promise better fps. We tried most of them and the vast majority change stuff that might help in one area but will hurt in another. We have never seen any fix that added more then 10% of FPS (if we discount systems that were incorrectly configured to start with). In fact when people complain about fps we tell them to delete FSX.cfg and a good number report that that solved the problem.

So make sure you get FSX updated to the latest version and then we'll talk. I do not completely understand your issue. SP1 will indeed ask for Disk 1, but inserting that should be easy right?

Thanks for the reply and recommendations. The version of FSX was just ordered. I got it last week brand new because I wanted it to be the latest and newest version. Is there a download update?

• Aerosoft

what folder should I install it in then? I already downloaded SPI. How do I move FSX out of that folder?

The main idea is not to install FSX in the Program Files folder as Windows sees that as a protected section. Just make a new folder in the root of a drive.

Huascar, as per the other thread please get hold of FS-GS and let them sort this out for you. They will cover the best installation techniques and ensure you have it all done correctly. Without getting the installation right you will be wasting your time doing anything else.

Also as mentioned above you really should get the Acceleration expansion pack for FSX. It includes a lot of useful stuff and as far as I know Michael from FS-GS is going to want you to have it. I will let him explain the reasons.

I visited that website and it adjusted all my settings. It works great now. I am still having problems with Las Vegas (all the buildings are flashing) may be a problem with the software. It looks like things may be coming back to normal. The setting adjustment is made a different (not perfect yet).

I sent FS-GS and Michael and email and did not get a response.

• 1 month later...

The main idea is not to install FSX in the Program Files folder as Windows sees that as a protected section. Just make a new folder in the root of a drive.

Can it be: E:\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X?

harpsi

Folks - I got a replacement computer cause the first one broke (motherboard went bad). I have 16GB of memory, does it work against FSX to have too much memory? According to a microsoft expert, it does in FSX. I no longer know who to believe. Crazy the amount of info on this and other FSX topics.

Hi

I did'nt think 16GB memory goes against FSX running well, more like its not necessary to have so much. 6GB is probably enough. Anyhow, just enjoy your nice computer.

Cheers

16GB means that all your ram slots are filled and this fact may have a negative influence on overclocking simply due to the demands placed on the ram controller. That is the only possible negative I am aware of.

Interesting - three different opinions thus far.

Add-ons? should they always go in the dafault FSX folder?

For some reason REX decided to go to a different folder, not the FSX default folder.

All my add-on aircraft and scenery goes in my 'Microsoft Flight Sim X' folder. I think aircraft has to be in there anyway. Add-ons like REX look for your FSX registry path so it can load its textures so that can probably be anywhere but i keep them all on the same part of the drive. Neat and tidy and all that.

Hello;

I have Fsx Acceleration installed on my computer,I have 12 gbits of ram,installed on the D-drive,the same,except for letters,I called the folder,Microsoft Flight Simulator X,I running Windows 7,64 bit system,and have no problems with ram.You are just going to have to experiment with the settings,to get it to run,like you want.There are some other free add-ons you can use,to improve your performance,and ways to change your Fsx cfg file,remeber to make a back up copy first.

Remember to run Fsx as the administrator,( when you installed Fsx,did you install it as administrator).Do some google searches,and you will find alot of interestin articles,on this.And another thing,your Fsx cfg file is in 2 places,app data,and your main Fsx folder,you need to update the one in the appdata,and copy it into the fsx folder,and replace the old one.

Mark

Thanks for the information, Mike. I am running it as administrator. I am hiring some microsoft guy who is an expert on this thing. I simply do have the time or the technical smart, nor the desire to mess with this game from hell.