GPS lag and unable to tune COM frequencies

Jwam

Hi Aerosoft,

I've just ordered your Discus X.

Firstly, these planes are AWESOME. These are the best gliders I've ever used on FSX. They handle very well, and the C4 is very well rendered.

But I must admit I'm a little bit disappointed.

First, when I saw your trailers, I thought the PDA thing was a very good idea. It is very helpful to track our course not to deviate from thermals. But, I was very disappointed when I tried to use it. My FPS drop from 30 FPS (limited) to 15 at the best. Also, I could notice very annoying stutters appearing every second and a half. I know FSX don't handle virtual screens very well, and I understand it lowers FPS. But I fly PMDG planes, and even the Flight1 Mustang with a "full" featured G1000 and 3 enormous panels without those stutters.

I've got a quite good hardware (i7 2600K, GTX580, 12 GB RAM, FSX mounted on a SSD) and I have never faced such annoying FPS drops. Maybe you could help me a bit finding out what's wrong with my settings, or maybe you could optimize this device so we can just use it !

Also, it appears that I can not tune the com frequency on your gliders. I use the mouse wheel. The knobs turn but the frequency does not change. When I force it to change with the FSX ATC menu, I can not talk on the frequency, just like if COM1 was offline. It wouldn't be a problem if I only played solo, but I'm used to talk with my friends through local COM radio calls, and we want to glide together !

Here is a little video to show you. Maybe I'm doing it wrong. This video is private (only accessible through the link) and is only intented for troobleshooting. I'll remove it as soon as you want.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFCJuvv4ifA

Sorry for my bad english.

Hi Jwam, I have the Aerosoft Discus also, and like you have found it a great addon. Sure, I have found a drop in frames but as I'm sure you know, that is only to be expected with any add on aircraft. As for the stutters, that's a little more difficult. There is one problem I have encountered with terrible stutters and that is nothing to do with the glider but with a third part add on called Cumuls X. This is a small free program which reproduces thermal activity, and does it pretty well. So, unless you have that installed, I'm afraid i'm not quite sure what could be causing your problem. I think I am correct in saying that the aircraft comes also with a free add on Winch, this is a third party add on so it may be worth disabling this and having a test flight. Cheers.

Hi Jwam, I have the Aerosoft Discus also, and like you have found it a great addon. Sure, I have found a drop in frames but as I'm sure you know, that is only to be expected with any add on aircraft. As for the stutters, that's a little more difficult. There is one problem I have encountered with terrible stutters and that is nothing to do with the glider but with a third part add on called Cumuls X. This is a small free program which reproduces thermal activity, and does it pretty well. So, unless you have that installed, I'm afraid i'm not quite sure what could be causing your problem. I think I am correct in saying that the aircraft comes also with a free add on Winch, this is a third party add on so it may be worth disabling this and having a test flight. Cheers.

Hi Howard.

Thanks for your advice !

I'll try disabling all my addons this evening.

But did you experience stuttering only with the PDA turned on ? When I turn it off, it is so smooooth !

I'll come back later to give the results.

Thanks again !

The frame rate drop with GPS turned on is normal. We tried to reduce it as good as possible, but no chance. 2D Panels are a pain in FSX especially GPS maps. It can be that the glider runs smooth on your system up to one point wich overloads it suddenly. Most certainly the GPS in this case. This could be the cause for such a massive drop on your end.

The freq change problem is strange. No idea so far. Let me ask.

Bests, Joachim

Thanks ! I tried loading FSX without CumulusX, WinchX and scenery addons, and I still have the GPS lag. It's unfortunate you could not optimize it better. But your Discus remains an awesome plane.

I'm waiting your recommendations for the COM frequency. I tried reinstalling the plane and loading it from another running plane, but no joy.

Thanks for your professionnalism.

The freq change problem is strange. No idea so far. Let me ask.

Bests, Joachim

Hi Joachim,

This is a strange one as been busy with work, just fired up my B and find no hotspot to allow the changing of frequency, likewise, no hotspot for the Parking Brake? I also can't obtain a hotspot for the changing of frequency for the BT and K?

Edited: Just checked the Parking Brake issue on other models and don't have the hotspot on the BM and K either, very strange!!

Good news !

Please keep us updated.

Good luck with this patch, I hope you'll glance at the PDA optimisation again :eyepop_s:;)

Best regards. Romain