A comment on PC-Pilots article on how to configure FSX (Issue 74)

Aerobird

Dear fellow simmers

The most recent issue of PC-Pilot (issue 74) has the best article on how to configure FSX I have read to date, short and to the point without much ado. (By Mr. Mathjas Kok of Aerosoft) And boy, did it work - certainly. My system was rather sluggish but this article gave me a performance boost of 100-200 percent most using external view. In my Cessna Citation Mustang from Flight 1 I now get 70FPS in external view and 30-40 in VC view. parked at gate 28 at Gardermoen Airport (Mega Airport Gardermoen X v. 1.02)

The real trick seems to be activating Direct X10, but that comes with one hitch, The "Progressive arrows" disappears and lines start to "shiver" here and there if you, as I, run a Win7/64 OS. I did solve this partly by starting FSX in Vista compability mode (no service packs). That took care of the shivering lines, but for the progressive arrows showing you your way around the airport did not return. I did find a program which gives a lead car at any airport called "Follow me" at Simmarket which makes the flight a bit more authentic to.

AES is Aerosofts equivalent to this program (albeit it does a lot more), but the scope of airports is limited at the moment so I have decided to put it off for a little while.

Happy flying

Cudos to the FPS frames, but system is not stable - more testing needed. Done and conclusion is that Direct X and FSX do not work well together, FPS are remarkable but also too unstable, FSX will most likely get "hung". I turned off the option, but the article has inspired me to get a more speedy rig for sure and that's something.