So, where oh where, is Simon?

Sharrow

Snave can be rough at times with his words, granted. but this thread sounds like the rantings of a school child tattle taling on a class mate. Seriously grow up. These forums were not very active until a certain company released an A320 and everyone flocked here when they found out how awful it was. After the aircraft got released things returned to normal. Now to blame Snave for that just shows exactly what type of person you are.. forget the facts, and seek revenge.

Snave: do you even recall what you said to him, that got him this upset he's crying about it a year later?

These forums were not very active until a certain company released an A320 and everyone flocked here when they found out how awful it was. After the aircraft got released things returned to normal. Now to blame Snave for that just shows exactly what type of person you are.. forget the facts, and seek revenge.

You're a bit all over the place but I think this comment is rather aimed at me as the OP.

Sure, there was a spike in traffic (with a lot of it in the 15 to 18 age group it sometimes seemed) during the run up to the AirbusX and subsequently a lot of that traffic has moved on to bug whatever the next fad may be. What I am referring to is a gradual but steady decline in the level of impromptu chit chat in this general forum over the course of the last year and a half (two years whatever). Certainly there has been no increase in said chit chat, has there? That is what I was blaming Simon for. And only partly so as the rest of the blame was leveled against the restriction in talk about 3rd party products which was introduced (in what still looks to me like a knee jerk reaction) as a result of things said on these forums during the run up to the AirbusX.

Yes, this forum is only what we make of it, myself included. Have I been making the most of it over the last year or so? No, not as much as I could have perhaps. No arguments there.

As you rightly point out this thread has deteriorated pretty much to the level of a kindergarten playground. But did you happen to notice that it is as a result of responses to just a single person? Yes, some here (again with myself included) are "guilty" of yet again falling for Simon's insinuations and taunts. But this isn't a psychology 101 forum, is it? Do I, or anyone else for that matter, want to be force fed lectures on how to get it right? Well, you know the answer to that.

Oh and by the way - how you ended your last sentance shows you're just as susceptible to being judgemental as anyone else here. Humans have to make a very conscious effort at all times to not allow themselves to be ruled by their emotions and in this regard (and this regard only) Simon's attitude towards the rest of humanity is indeed a useful tool. But it is NOT, in my opinion, a useful tool for both gaining and retaining members on this forum, at least not the kind who post for the pleasure of doing so as opposed to just lurking.

Snave can be rough at times with his words, granted. but this thread sounds like the rantings of a school child tattle taling on a class mate. Seriously grow up. These forums were not very active until a certain company released an A320 and everyone flocked here when they found out how awful it was. After the aircraft got released things returned to normal. Now to blame Snave for that just shows exactly what type of person you are.. forget the facts, and seek revenge.

Snave: do you even recall what you said to him, that got him this upset he's crying about it a year later?

Who..? I only remember the insults on those of significance... :crylaugh_s:

So here we are, to precis the preceding dismal dialogue.

The chat is boring?

No-one wants to accept responsibility for making it less so, only expecting others to do it for them?

No-one wants to practice what they preach?

The decline in the forum (unquantified, as it happens, since no-one bothered to the debate the `quality` versus `quantity` argument) is driving people away?

and

It's all my fault?

The absence of self-awareness is simply staggering.

And by the way, I do a lot of support for forum members via private mail. I wonder why?

And even my fluffy slippers have steel toe caps. :cool3_s:

• Aerosoft

Sure, there was a spike in traffic (with a lot of it in the 15 to 18 age group it sometimes seemed) during the run up to the AirbusX and subsequently a lot of that traffic has moved on to bug whatever the next fad may be. What I am referring to is a gradual but steady decline in the level of impromptu chit chat in this general forum over the course of the last year and a half (two years whatever).

In fact we got 32% more hits (page views) right now then we had in that period. Over a million a month at this moment. What many forget is that we are not only doing FS stuff these days. The sections on World of Subways and OMSI are getting a lot of traffic. What we do see is a decrease in posts per view, indicating that people come to find answers and find them. And that's good, we are not here for chitchat but to promote and support our products.

As I write this 311 different ip's are active on the forum. That's a lot.

It's all my fault?

Simon, I was indeed wrong to suggest that any of this is your fault and I would like to retract any and all statements I have made to this effect. You were and very clearly still are permitted to act in the way that you do and that is where the fault lies.

we are not here for chitchat but to promote and support our products.

If the two must be mutually exclusive then so be it.

This is the sort of thread that I can imagine would cause a newcomers eyebrows to rise higher and higher, until they realized there were apparently friendlier places to be.

Potentially paying customers come here to find out about new products, get support, and possibly to become part of a friendly hobbyist community.

They don't come here to be browbeaten, by ANY side, and I suspect after perusing a tread of this sort, the reaction of many people would be either to use the forum very sparingly (and warily) to avoid a potential nuking, or just leave it to the flora and fauna that seem to have evolved specialized niches and are quite comfortable there.

This certainly creates a nice, comfortable oasis of familiar stagnancy, but growth is the hustle and bustle of a million eager voices.

The situation is very........ unique.

Your mistake is thinking that a newcomer would even read this topic, much less contribute anything of worth to it. They would, if they read it in isolation, that I am some poor soul being vindictively criticised by some other smart asses.

Which kinda brings the message home to the question of practicing what one preaches, wouldn't you say?

And here you are, resurrecting a dormant topic... :goodjob_s:

Long before I purchased a single Aerosoft product, I perused the forums getting the lay of the land. To me the reasons were obvious. Who were these Aerosoft guys? Were their products any good? Did they support their products in a positive and timely manner? What were current customers saying about their experiences?

What was the feel of the forums? Friendly? Welcoming? Ghost town where pleas for help echoed endlessly in the dark silence?

Those impressions strongly affected my decision to enter the hobby more seriously, and to this day affects who gets my money.

Absolutely and without a doubt a thread this popular would get my carefullest scrutiny as a potential new customer, as it would reveal much about the "tone" of a forum. (There are places who will never see a dime of my money simply because of the impression received after perusing their sites)

This thread is negative, not helpful, predictably personal and is as always, troubling.

I register (again) my confusion as to why these flames are allowed to break out again and again for no apparent constructive purpose.

Unless that purpose is to turn people off.

I register (again) my confusion as to why these flames are allowed to break out again and again for no apparent constructive purpose.

Entertainment value. Just a pity that it is customers at who's expense it is being had...

Entertainment isn't expense.

Failing to learn the lesson of the `entertainment` can, however, be expensive when the entertainment has an underlying educational purpose... it is mirth-inducing just who is missing the point here.

And by how much! :dumb_me_s:

But why, pray tell old wizened one, would our peripatetic `potential new user` even bother with some shoddy-worded non-specific interest topic such as this?

In the General Forum?

If they wish to learn about the quality of the product they are interested in, they have more direct sources of information in other fora. Not only that, they can readily find such information because the gin-sodden, numpty-numbing and the execrable entertainment has been banished (or warned off, or beaten into submission - I don't care about the terminology only the result) to leave a forum where information is accurate, readily found and subject to peer review.

And what current customers say about their products is simple:

If you are a moron, raise your game or stay away.

As a marketing professional I can tell you - and others will no doubt be able to see for themselves - that saying that doesn't reduce sales one jot.

In fact, quite the opposite is true - when even the cretin believes that possession might imply the semblance of conscious thought, whether the cranium entertains it or not... :banghead1_s:

I would respectfully point to the numbers of views of this thread as a tangible measure of the interest being generated.

It seems clear the subject has drawn strong attention. (There are years-old product announcement threads that have received less views)

I find it all fairly stark:

Are only certain types of people welcome? Sounds logical, but who decides what type?

Will the site remain inclusive and open, or become a closed personal demesne, jealously guarded and patrolled for orthodoxy?

I guess time will tell.

I guess what puzzles me most about Simon is the sheer tenacity with which he pursues his world-enlightening agenda in this forum and how much time he devotes to typing it all up again and again and again and... On any kind of meaningful scale this forum is utterly irrelevant - fs add-ons are a niche within a niche. It's a little like going to the middle of the Australian outback and declaring "from this very spot I shall change the world by ridding it of the banal and the inane!!!" and subsequently proceeding to do so with all the fervour in the world. Uhmmmm, like who cares dude?

Another thing which stands out for me is the fact that there are a significant number of other forums out there which are doing just fine thank you very much WITHOUT any of Simon's agenda. Anyone else notice this or is it just me?

• Upvote 2

On a slight side note: I see that the change in the voting system (which now shows who likes which post) has pretty much stopped the voting, at least in this thread. Gotta love humans! lol

• Upvote 1

On a slight side note: I see that the change in the voting system (which now shows who likes which post) has pretty much stopped the voting, at least in this thread. Gotta love humans! lol

The reason why the negative vote was removed is because even people were down voting FAQs that were giving useful information, and other posts for no good reason.

• Upvote 1

The reason why the negative vote was removed is because even people were down voting FAQs that were giving useful information, and other posts for no good reason.

But even the new "like this" is very non-useful and the looks resist my eyes...

I guess what puzzles me most about Simon is the sheer tenacity with which he pursues his world-enlightening agenda in this forum and how much time he devotes to typing it all up again and again and again and... On any kind of meaningful scale this forum is utterly irrelevant - fs add-ons are a niche within a niche. It's a little like going to the middle of the Australian outback and declaring "from this very spot I shall change the world by ridding it of the banal and the inane!!!" and subsequently proceeding to do so with all the fervour in the world. Uhmmmm, like who cares dude?

Another thing which stands out for me is the fact that there are a significant number of other forums out there which are doing just fine thank you very much WITHOUT any of Simon's agenda. Anyone else notice this or is it just me?

Really? How do you know I'm not there..? And that my agenda is not adopted as forum policy? I can think of several (where I have seen you be present and posting) where the agenda is ABSOLUTELY the same. How come you never noticed?

And I have never, ever started a topic to force my `agenda`. Here I am, expressing an opinion in a topic that is about me, but not begun by me...

So now what you want to browbeat me for expressing an opinion?

As well as villify me for having a view? And being prepared to stand by what I say, as I mean it?

This topic really is descending into a farcical lack of self-awareness by the primary contributors, who on the one hand want to impose their notions on the forum, yet cannot pause for even a single moment to realise that with every comment, they draw attention to their own hypocrisy.

You want to criticise me for telling others how to behave? By telling ME how to behave? How crass.

And now we're plucking blatant mistruths about how `significant` numbers of other fora work without the agenda.

Name 20...