A real Katana in Austria

Tigerclaw

I found a really nice video of a real Katana flying in Austria, with a landing, a take off, and another landing. Just shows the accuracy of Marcels modelling in this great addon.

I have one question though. I noticed the pilot didn't have his position lights turned on. Is this normal practice in the real world?

• Upvote 1

Felt so much like being in Marcel's Katana that I kept turning my head and wondering why my TrackIR didn't work :D

I have one question though. I noticed the pilot didn't have his position lights turned on. Is this normal practice in the real world?

I don't think there is any requirement to have lights on during daytime. Strobes make sense for visibility of course, but pos lights probably don't do much.

With this actual one we could see the work Marcel has done.

Everything is there.

Thank's to him.

Thank you for the link !

I was stucked by the sound !

Perhap's the "sim" one is too "clean". Just engine and little wind.

And then we can hear that the actual isn't so smooth ! ;-))

As for the "ground shacking".

Fsx limitations.

I'm going flying !

Thank's.

Daniel

I don't think there is any requirement to have lights on during daytime. Strobes make sense for visibility of course, but pos lights probably don't do much.

This is not really correct. Strobe/Beacon Lights MUST BE ON during daytime. Landing and Nav Lights are on pilot's decision.

• Upvote 1

Thank you Piper Pilot for the clarification. As the Katana is for day time use mostly, I'm gonna take the nav lights off and save a bit of weight. Might even get better performance lol (Joke).

So far that's the best video I found for the Katana, and I'm really liking any chance I get to go flying the sim version. Marcel did a fantastic job.

• Upvote 1

This is not really correct. Strobe/Beacon Lights MUST BE ON during daytime. Landing and Nav Lights are on pilot's decision.

OK, thanks for the clarification.

What about a plane like the Piper Cub that doesn't have strobe/beacon lights (or any other kind of lights)?

Hi,

no problem :) .

That's a good question.

I think special rules apply in this case. For example that they are not allowed to enter a control zone.

But I have to say that all operators of such planes I know have equipped them at least with strobes as it enhances safety.

• 4 weeks later...

Is that a requirement in Germany? Because in Canada Day VFR has no lighting requirements. However if you do have a Beacon light it is reguarded as good airmenship to have it turned on.

Is that a requirement in Germany? Because in Canada Day VFR has no lighting requirements. However if you do have a Beacon light it is reguarded as good airmenship to have it turned on.

Hi,

yes it is required in Germany (and whole parts of Europe in general as far as I know). There are only exceptions for ultralights and historic aircraft.

• 4 months later...

Before starting the engine and when engine is running the beacon must be switched on. Alternatively - if the aircraft is not equipped with a beacon - then the strobes must be turned on.

If your aircraft has neither beacon(s) nor strobes you need special markings at your airplane and a permit (usually only given to historic aircraft).

Position lights have to be turned on from sunset + 30 mins until sunrise - 30 mins only.