A Day in the life ;)

Chaders

Hi All,

As most of you know 3 years ago I left my career in retail to become a commercial pilot. Some of you expressed an interest in me putting together a post of a typical day’s work for me. This is my attempt.

I’m just starting out in what I hope to be a long career in the airline industry and don’t consider myself to be any kind of expert. I learn more and more from every work day which is exactly what I wanted. I hope you enjoy this post and look forward to your feedback.

My day starts with me checking in to the crew room an hour before the scheduled departure time of the flight. Our in-flight paperwork is emailed as a series of PDF files which all have to be printed for the flight. We print off the paperwork for all the sectors we’ll fly that day. This paperwork includes an Operational Flight Plan (OFP), Significant weather chart (SIG Chart), a route chart that includes the en-route winds, NOTAMS and the met reports for departure, arrival, alternates and en-route alternates along the route.

Once all this is printed the Captain and I sit down and brief for the upcoming day. A decision is made as to who will be the PF (pilot flying) for which leg. We check through the weather and NOTAMs to ensure the flight can be completed legally and then check through the OFP to ensure it is sensible.

Our OFPs are created by our flight planning department who use a semi-automatic system that attempts to find the most economic route for our particular trip. It uses the forecast winds and our weight to find the best routing and can also take into account the en-route charges levied by Eurocontrol.

We check through to ensure the OFP has a sensible payload as this greatly affects the fuel needed for the trip. Other important things to look at are if it has been planned using the most likely runways, arrivals and departures as at some airports there is a big difference in the fuel needed. Whilst we’re looking at the OFP we note down the Minimum Safe Altitudes for the departure, en-route, and arrival. It also gives us some idea on likely areas of turbulence that might affect us.

One of the most important decisions we make is how much fuel to load. The OFP gives us a minimum fuel figure which includes the fuel for the trip, diversion, holding, taxi and 5% of the trip fuel as a contingency figure. Since the planning system is pretty accurate normally we’ll just round this figure up to the nearest 100kgs and take that as our Block fuel. We can add to this for any reason we feel necessary, weather being the usual reason.

At some time during this prep we’ll also brief the senior cabin crew member on flight times and anything that might affect their service in the cabin (Turbulence etc).

One of the last things is to look at the performance books to see if with the current conditions there will be any restriction on the Maximum Take Off Weight MTOW we can lift. As I’m based at Leeds Bradford this can often bring our MTOW below what the aircraft can lift structurally, especially off runway 32 in the wet.

I then phone station control with our block fuel, trip fuel, flight time, taxi fuel, crew numbers and any restriction on our MTOW so they can create a loadsheet.

Although it sounds a lot we tend to get all this preparation done within 10-15 minutes. We then head out to the aircraft.

Once we’ve been through security we jump head to the aircraft. When on board the Captain checks the tech log for any issues from the previous flight. For today’s flight I’m flying the outbound sector so from here on in I’m the Pilot Flying (PF).

Usually when we arrive at the aircraft it’s not cold and dark (something that obsesses Simmers). The usual state for me to find it in is with the battery and ground power already connected. The initial checks are done before climbing into my seat. These include checking the fire detection system, stall warner, mach/airspeed warner, and setting the Inertial Reference System (IRS) to Nav so it starts to align.

Before the Pilot Monitoring (PM, the captain for this leg) performs his walk round, I switch on the wheel well lights and electric hydraulic pumps to assist him.

Once I’m in my seat I go through the initial panel scan to get the aircraft set up. This starts with the overhead panel and follows a logical flow to ensure all the switches are in the correct position; the pressurisation panel is set for the leg.

It then moves across the Master Control Panel (MCP) on here I switch the 2 Flight Directors (FD) on; mine goes on first as this sets it as the master for the flight.

The main panel is next and includes checking the clock, GPWS, setting the autobrake to RTO (Rejected Take Off), performing a light test and aligning the standby AI. As the flow leads me down the centre console I get to the CDU (Computer Display Unit part of the Flight Management System) I enter our current position so the IRSs can finish aligning.

Other items on the centre console include Elevator trim, Radios, Transponder, aileron and rudder trims.

I’ve left out quite a few items to stop you all dropping off to sleep but once the initial scan is done I get the ATIS then return to the CDU to enter the routing details for the flight ahead. I won’t go through this in detail but if you want any info on this, just ask. I also set the MCP up for the departure expected.

During this preparation the captain would have finished his walkaround and joined me in the flightdeck. The passengers would have started boarding and the fuelling should be complete. Once the handling agent has given us our loadsheet we’ll enter the figures into the CDU and pull out the performance book to get our V1, VR and V2 figures which are also entered into the CDU, this allows the speeds to be displayed on the speed tape. We also bug these on the analogue Airspeed indicator. Once the speeds are bugged I brief for the departure. I’ll also call for our clearance during this time which will inform us what SID we’ll need to fly.

The departure brief contains details of the conditions, departure and the all important safety brief. This covers the actions to be performed in the event of any issues during the takeoff. The safety brief would be along the lines of:-

“Up to 80 knots we can reject for any malfunctions. Between 80 knots and V1 we will only reject for Any Fire, Engine Failure, Control Malfunction, Blocked Runway or the Take off configuration warning which sounds like (I advance a thrust lever to sound the horn). If we reject your actions will be??”

At this point the Captain will go through his actions in the event of a rejected take off and I will list mine. This keeps the briefing interactive and ensures we each know our actions. This done I continue with the brief.

“Above V1 we’ll take any failure into the air but there will be no actions below 400ft except cancelling and audio warning and calling Positive climb gear up. At 400ft I’ll ask you to restate the malfunction and we’ll carry out any recall items as necessary.”

I then go through the recall actions for the Engine Fire, severe damage or separation checklist. This is also the time to discuss any emergency turn needed in the event of an engine failure and what our plan will be in terms of returning back to Leeds or heading elsewhere. This depends on performance and weather considerations so can change with each flight. It’s all about having a plan to work to if something goes wrong.

At the end of the safety brief I talk through the departure to be flown including and altitude restrictions.

The briefing out of the way we go through the ‘before start’ checklist ‘to the line’. This checks that all the preparations were performed correctly and all the switches are in the correct position. The cabin crew would have reported that boarding was complete and the Captain performs his welcome PA. We start the APU about 10 minutes from pushback and bring the APU Generator on the bus; this enables the ground crew to disconnect the Ground Power Unit (GPU). With everyone boarded the doors are locked and I call ATC for pushback clearance. Once this is received I switch off the packs (Air conditioning) ensure the APU bleed air is on and switch on the anti-collision light. The Captain calls the ground crew to tell them we’re cleared to push and gets their checks.

Once the pushback has started we start engine 2 and once that is stable, engine 1. With the push complete and the park brake set the tug can disconnect. With the engines stable I’ll check the engine driven generators are performing correctly. Once we’ve seen the Tug, Tow bar and the Ground crew with the Pin (This is a steering bypass pin that disconnects the nose wheel steering so the tug can steer us) I bring both the Gens on the bus, switch the Pitot Heat on and set the ground/flight switch on the pressurisation panel to flight. I call for taxi and the Captain will call “FLAPS”, I select the takeoff flap setting (usually Flap 5) and call “Flap 5 selected”; this is a cross check that I’ve selected the correct flap setting for the performance that we’ve calculated.

The Captain taxis us out to the runway and when the flaps have travelled to the selected position call “Flap 5 Set” this is the trigger for the Captain to ask for the control checks. I check the ‘Tops’ (Elevator and Ailerons) and get the Captain to follow me through on the rudders. I’ll then review the takeoff brief, stating any emergency turn and the departure to be flown. The cabin crew would have reported that the cabin is secure for takeoff. We perform the Before Takeoff Checks to the line. As we approach the hold I’ll report “Ready for Departure” and hopefully we’ll be asked to line up or be cleared to take off.

As we enter the runway I set the engine start switches to continuous, switch the strobe light on and set the Transponder to TA/RA (this switches the TCAS on). I’ll do a quick “Cabin crew seats for takeoff” PA and we perform the before takeoff checks below the line. Once the Captain has lined us up he hands control to me and he takes the radio.

All lined up on the runway with me PF, I advance the thrust levers and wait for the N1’s to stabilise above 40% (This is to ensure the engines will spool up simultaneously) and call “Set Takeoff thrust” as I hit the TOGA buttons. The FMA (Flight Mode Annunciator on our PFDs) will show N1 TOGA and this is called by the PM. The autothrottle advances the thrust levers and, after the PM has tweaked them to ensure the correct thrust is set, he calls “Takeoff thrust set” and leaves his hands on them as it is the Captain that performs any RTO. My eyes are down the far end of the runway and I’m using the rudder pedals to stay on the centreline. The next call is “80 Knots” this is a pilot incapacitation call and must be responded to; it also changes the reasons why we would reject the takeoff (Remember the brief). At the call of “V1” the Captain removes his hands from the thrust levers as we’re going flying no matter what. At the call of “Rotate” I smoothly raise the nose and we lift off. As the nose rotates through 10 degrees the rate can slow so needs a little more back pressure. Once there is a positive rate of climb shown on both the VSI and Altimeter the PM will call “Positive Climb” and I’ll ask for “Gear Up”

With the gear raising and us passing 400ft the PM calls “400ft” and I ask for “LNAV”. This is selected by the PM and the flight director will start giving me roll commands to follow the departure. When the PF is hand flying all selections on the MCP are made by the PM. At 1000ft the PM calls “1000ft” and I ask for “VNAV” which again is selected by the PM. This engages Vertical NAV and the pitch bar on the FD commands a nose down pitch to about 10 degrees which enables the aircraft to accelerate, it also commands climb thrust. 1000ft is also the minimum autopilot engagement altitude for the departure so usually at this stage I’ll set autopilot B to command CMD. On quieter departures we can hand fly for longer (generally up to FL295 where RVSM (Reduced Vertical Separation Minima) airspace begins) but this increases the PM’s workload considerably as they not only need to deal with the radios and monitoring the PF they also need to make any MCP changes as requested. As we accelerate we clean up, with a positive speed trend and above the green F on the speed tape I call “Flap 1” and the PM selects flap 1. The F will move up the speed tape as the flaps retracts and providing our speed stays above it I’ll call “Flap 0” and again this is selected by the PM. Once the flaps are retracted the PM will call “Flaps up, No Lights”. The after takeoff actions from PM are then gear lever to OFF, Autobrake OFF, Eng start switches OFF (as long as engine anti-Ice isn’t required) and release the cabin crew (which is done by cycling the No-Smoking sign).

Once we’ve been cleared to a flight level I call “Altimeters set Standard” and we both set the subscale on our altimeters to 1013 the PM will call “Standard set and crosschecked, Passing FL46 climbing FL110” (obviously the passing FL climbing FL’s reflect what’s actually happening). Being cleared to a flight level is also a trigger for the after takeoff checks. These are read and responded to by the PM. During the climb especially in busy airspace it is normal for you to be given headings to fly as ATC maintain separation from other aircraft. We always keep the heading bug updated to our current heading even when in LNAV to prevent us turning the wrong way if HDG select is pressed before the correct heading is in the window. It’s also possible to get directs whilst in the climb as ATC thread you through the busy airspace. These are usually inputted into the CDU by the PM below FL100 but are always crosschecked before being executed.

As we pass FL100 I call “Altimeters” the PM replies “Passing FL100 climbing FL (our cleared level) Pressurisation checked”. He checks the aircraft is pressurising correctly, turns off the landing, turnoff and logo lights and if conditions are fine switches the seatbelt signs off (usually resulting in a rush for the toilets!). These Altimeter calls are repeated every 10,000ft (so at FL100, 200, 300) we also call “Altimeters” when we are within 1000ft of our cleared Altitude. This is to prevent level busts. Even though the autopilot is engaged as PF it’s important to follow through on the controls when levelling off so you can step in if the autopilot decides to do something silly. You only need to overshoot by 300ft for it to be considered a level bust.

As we approach FL290 we need to perform a crosscheck on our altimeters. This is to comply with the regulations concerning RVSM in the airspace between FL290 and FL410.

Once we have levelled off at our final cruising level life starts to get a bit easier for us. I perform a full panel scan that involves such things as checking the Generator outputs, Cabin temps, Pressurisation and we set the TCAS to look down. I also check the FMS position against the IRSs and traditional Navaids to ensure we have the required navigational performance (RNP). And a top of climb fuel check will be carried out to compare the planned burn from the OFP to our actual burn.

I’ll leave us at the top of climb for now. If you’ve got any questions feel free to ask. I’ll post again to cover the cruise and arrival at a later date as this post has grown a bit bigger than I was expecting.

Cool! One thing though, is Leeds full often? I ask this because I've heard often that ATC just gives a straight proceed to (waypoint)? And do you prefer (if your clasification allows) day or night flghts? And so far nice report!

Cool! One thing though, is Leeds full often? I ask this because I've heard often that ATC just gives a straight proceed to (waypoint)? And do you prefer (if your clasification allows) day or night flghts? And so far nice report!

Hi,

Leeds is pretty busy but the main issue for Directs or headings especially on departures is the proximity to Manchester. Scottish control have the unenviable task of feeding us all into and out of the airways system. They use all the tools at their disposal.

As for the question of night or day, I'm happy to fly in either. Although most of my flights so far have been daytime ones.

Thank you richard :)

I thoroughly enjoyed reading that ( been checking the forum daily for this :D )

Sorry if you have previosly mentioned, but whitch varient of the 737 do you fly?

Really looking forward to next chapter, cant wait!

Thank you richard :)

I thoroughly enjoyed reading that ( been checking the forum daily for this :D )

Sorry if you have previosly mentioned, but whitch varient of the 737 do you fly?

Really looking forward to next chapter, cant wait!

Hi Maddz,

Glad you enjoyed it. I fly the 737-300. Similar to that modeled by Wilco in the PIC addon. Although ours don't have the electric engine instruments.

I love reading stuff like this. Recently, a friend on another forum documented his journey to obtaining a PPL, lesson by lesson right through to passing his GFT in Australia.

Richard, hugely interesting and I hope you'll add to it, maybe when you have an interesting experience and something out of the ordinary ( perhaps I should not wish 'interesting' or 'out of the ordinary' upon a pilot ! )

By the way, what you said about simmer's obsession with 'cold and dark' made me chuckle. PMDG pretty much said the same about their MD-11's saved-panel states.

Looking forward to reading more, and well done young man on having the gumption to follow your dreams !!

:cheers_s:

Hi Maddz,

Glad you enjoyed it. I fly the 737-300. Similar to that modeled by Wilco in the PIC addon. Although ours don't have the electric engine instruments.

My guess would be the Delta old ones...