Autopilot and Autothrottle.

haseen

Dear:

I download/purchased the Simcheck A300B4-200 for my FSX from www.aerosoft.com on 11.07.11.

I have the following queries:

1. When should the autopilot be engaged after take off? Exactly which subsequent pitch mode should be selected after SRS?

2. During a manual landing with autothrottle engaged, will the throttles retard automatically during flare?

3. The joystick(Saitek Pro) AP and AT disconnect switches don't work.

Kind regards,

Haseen Ahmad

Bangladesh.

1. When should the autopilot be engaged after take off? Exactly which subsequent pitch mode should be selected after SRS?

2. During a manual landing with autothrottle engaged, will the throttles retard automatically during flare?

3. The joystick(Saitek Pro) AP and AT disconnect switches don't work.

Dear Haseen,

1. According to normal operations the Autopilot should not be used below 400ft AGL

2. During manual landing you should disconnect both the A/P and the A/T (should be disconnected before the flare)

3. You can assign keystrokes to different buttons on the panel using the keyboard configuration tool, make sure the right keystrokes are assigned to the A/T disconnect and the A/P disconnect events

Let me know if you need further help!

Björn

Dear Haseen,

1. According to normal operations the Autopilot should not be used below 400ft AGL

2. During manual landing you should disconnect both the A/P and the A/T (should be disconnected before the flare)

3. You can assign keystrokes to different buttons on the panel using the keyboard configuration tool, make sure the right keystrokes are assigned to the A/T disconnect and the A/P disconnect events

Let me know if you need further help!

Björn

Dear Bjorn:

Thanks for replying.

Please refer to the second part of my q no.1. If I engage autopilot(AP) at 400 ft, the pitch mode shows PITCH. Then what next pitch mode the pilots select in real life, VSPD or IAS?

Regards,

Haseen Ahmad

Bangladesh.

Please refer to the second part of my q no.1. If I engage autopilot(AP) at 400 ft, the pitch mode shows PITCH. Then what next pitch mode the pilots select in real life, VSPD or IAS?

Hi Hanseen,

In pitch mode the aircraft will try to maintain the pitch (in fact the SimCheck A300 it is the VSPD) that you set with the yoke.

It is up to you to choose the most convenient mode after that, I usually prefer to use PITCH or VSPD until the N1 computer is set to CRZ (for the first part of the climb) and the flap clean-up is complete.

In VSPD or PITCH you allow the aircraft to smoothly reach climb speed and once you are at the correct speed you would select IAS. For small changes in altitude (e.g. during cruise climb or small descends) you would use VSPD mode. IAS mode only makes sense if you have make relatively large changes in altitude. Also once you are cruising at constant mach, IAS will not be mode of choice as it will hold the speed at IAS engagement in IAS not in Mach number.

The purpose of the autopilot is to help you to achieve what you want, never should your actions be commanded by autopilot because then you loose control! You are the pilot!

The target of most pilots would be to have a smooth flight with relatively small pitch changes. Using IAS mode right after take-off in TO or FLX TO mode, will result in large pitch changes, especially if you have to level off soon after take-off! The IAS mode will probably not even be able to keep up with what you command it to do and you will have speed overshoots etc...

Björn

Hi Haseen,

In pitch mode the aircraft will try to maintain the pitch (in fact the SimCheck A300 it is the VSPD) that you set with the yoke.

It is up to you to choose the most convenient mode after that, I usually prefer to use PITCH or VSPD until the N1 computer is set to CRZ (for the first part of the climb) and the flap clean-up is complete.

In VSPD or PITCH you allow the aircraft to smoothly reach climb speed and once you are at the correct speed you would select IAS. For small changes in altitude (e.g. during cruise climb or small descends) you would use VSPD mode. IAS mode only makes sense if you have make relatively large changes in altitude. Also once you are cruising at constant mach, IAS will not be mode of choice as it will hold the speed at IAS engagement in IAS not in Mach number.

The purpose of the autopilot is to help you to achieve what you want, never should your actions be commanded by autopilot because then you loose control! You are the pilot!

The target of most pilots would be to have a smooth flight with relatively small pitch changes. Using IAS mode right after take-off in TO or FLX TO mode, will result in large pitch changes, especially if you have to level off soon after take-off! The IAS mode will probably not even be able to keep up with what you command it to do and you will have speed overshoots etc...

Björn

Dear Bjorn:

Thank you very much for your explanatory reply.

AP and AT Disconnect key mapping:

I use Saitek Pro yoke, throttle quadrant and pedals. How can I use the yoke and throttle switches to disconnect AP and AT? Is there a separate Simcheck key mapping?

Regards,

Haseen Ahmad

Bangladesh.

• 3 months later...

AP and AT Disconnect key mapping:

I use Saitek Pro yoke, throttle quadrant and pedals. How can I use the yoke and throttle switches to disconnect AP and AT? Is there a separate Simcheck key mapping?

In the latest update there is a utility to assign or change keyboard settings for a number of panel switches and settings. you can use this to assign keyboard commands to AT and AP connect and disconnects.

Björn