Carb heat question

rocky

I'm sure this is something that can be answered quickly, well at least I think it can. I have noticed while flying the Katana, which is now my favourite GA incidentally, that even when it gets -8c temp and I turn up the carb temperature, no matter how little, it has a diverse effect. It seems to have no benefit. The only thing that happens is that the engine seems to run less smooth and the performance drops off. I can understand this scenario if the heat was not necessary, but I have always understood that even at temeratures of maybe +5c, carb heat might be needed. so how come at -8c it appears to not require any heat whatsoever?

I'm sure this is something that can be answered quickly, well at least I think it can. I have noticed while flying the Katana, which is now my favourite GA incidentally, that even when it gets -8c temp and I turn up the carb temperature, no matter how little, it has a diverse effect. It seems to have no benefit. The only thing that happens is that the engine seems to run less smooth and the performance drops off. I can understand this scenario if the heat was not necessary, but I have always understood that even at temeratures of maybe +5c, carb heat might be needed. so how come at -8c it appears to not require any heat whatsoever?

Carb heat should be turned on whenever you significantly reduce power, e.g when you are descending the aircraft or coming in for a landing (although you may want to turn it off on short final, to have maximum power available in the event of a go-around). The idea is to prevent carburetor icing which occurs in humid air. At -8C the amount of water vapor in the air is insignificant, so no need for carb heat.

Using carburetor heat does have an impact on the engine, although I understand that this is not a big factor in the Katana.

A short article on the topic here: http://flighttraining.aopa.org/students/presolo/skills/carbicing.html

Carb heat should be turned on whenever you significantly reduce power, e.g when you are descending the aircraft or coming in for a landing (although you may want to turn it off on short final, to have maximum power available in the event of a go-around). The idea is to prevent carburetor icing which occurs in humid air. At -8C the amount of water vapor in the air is insignificant, so no need for carb heat.

Using carburetor heat does have an impact on the engine, although I understand that this is not a big factor in the Katana.

A short article on the topic here: http://flighttrainin.../carbicing.html

Ahhh, OK, thanks for the info, much appreciated.