Most fun ive had in FSX ever!

Andysim

I can say without a pause that this aircraft is giving me the most joy ive ever had in a flightsim!. I can hardly get my head around just how much fun it is to run this little machine.

Ive been looking for the best GA aircraft for my ORBX flying and somehow missed this little gem untill just 48 hours ago, when I was pointed in this direction from a forum post.

I fly the A2A accusim aircraft as I love the persistant saves and the ancient systems, but now I have a GA aircraft that I can use when I just want to develop my VFR skills. I really do think this aircraft is going to be first out of the hanger when ever I feel the urge to go exploring. I spent a few circuits getting the trim tabs just how I like them and passed my second hour in the air without blowing anything up or getting killed.

I cant wait for the weekend when I have some more time to get to know all the systems. I fell inlove with the stall warning horn (thats a strange thing to say but when I first heard it I was thinking what on earth was that!) and all the sounds in general are first rate.

I just wish I could work out what im doing wrong with the carb heat, my engine shot back to idle and would not respond. Thinking it might be ice I put the carb on a bit and then the CHT went off the scale and wont come down =(

Thanks all! :rolleyes:

• Upvote 1

I can say without a pause that this aircraft is giving me the most joy ive ever had in a flightsim!. I can hardly get my head around just how much fun it is to run this little machine.

Ive been looking for the best GA aircraft for my ORBX flying and somehow missed this little gem untill just 48 hours ago, when I was pointed in this direction from a forum post.

I fly the A2A accusim aircraft as I love the persistant saves and the ancient systems, but now I have a GA aircraft that I can use when I just want to develop my VFR skills. I really do think this aircraft is going to be first out of the hanger when ever I feel the urge to go exploring. I spent a few circuits getting the trim tabs just how I like them and passed my second hour in the air without blowing anything up or getting killed.

I cant wait for the weekend when I have some more time to get to know all the systems. I fell inlove with the stall warning horn (thats a strange thing to say but when I first heard it I was thinking what on earth was that!) and all the sounds in general are first rate.

I just wish I could work out what im doing wrong with the carb heat, my engine shot back to idle and would not respond. Thinking it might be ice I put the carb on a bit and then the CHT went off the scale and wont come down =(

Thanks all! :rolleyes:

You may want to spend some time with the manuals, and browsing the forums here. Much has been said about the carb heat simulation - as well as a couple of `gotchas` that can catch you out if you are not fully conversant with the systems.

In this case I would think what you've got here is an A2A level of persistent damage modelling and may need the maintenance function!

I fell inlove with the stall warning horn (thats a strange thing to say but when I first heard it I was thinking what on earth was that!) and all the sounds in general are first rate.

I'm with you on this one. I think it's one of the first stall warnings that sound's like what I've heard in real GA aircraft. It's one of the few where you can pull into stall warning just as you settle on the runway. Very satisfying!!

are there any plans to make an IFR capable Aircraft with the same quality and features? That would be so awsome. I gave 3 aircraft atm that are GA and can do IFR including the Duke Turbine from realair the Lancair from Orbx and a IFR aircraft of the same quality as the Katana would be a dream come true =)

are there any plans to make an IFR capable Aircraft with the same quality and features? That would be so awsome. I gave 3 aircraft atm that are GA and can do IFR including the Duke Turbine from realair the Lancair from Orbx and a IFR aircraft of the same quality as the Katana would be a dream come true =)

Already announced Matthias future project - a PC-6 Turbo Porter. If that features the same level of systems simulation it should be a hoot!

• 1 month later...

Bought this aircraft a couple of days ago, together with the pmdg 737ngx, and I'm spending more time flying the katana than the big one ahah!I'm having loads of fun taking off and doing small circuits in order to fully adjust the trim tabs!! well done, it's going to replace the do-27 as my favorite fs aircraft!

You're right guys. In my opinion it is one of the finest GAs out there. But there is a lot to learn to become fluent with it's little oddities.

• Aerosoft

Bought this aircraft a couple of days ago, together with the pmdg 737ngx, and I'm spending more time flying the katana than the big one ahah!I'm having loads of fun taking off and doing small circuits in order to fully adjust the trim tabs!! well done, it's going to replace the do-27 as my favorite fs aircraft!

well there is a lot of logic there. See the 737 is flown by two highly trained professionals, maintained by highly trained professionals. The FSX version is bought by a nice guy with a juvenile beer belly who tries to learn the systems in the few hours he can spare between bringing the kids to soccer and his wife demanding he paints the living room. Personally (so not an Aerosoft point of view) I find it too complex, too demanding and I am able to spend 60 paid hours a week on flightsim!

The Katana on the other hand is something I could fly if my club would have one. I would check the oil, clean the windscreen and could fly it for 1.60 Euro a minute. So from my point of view, the combination of FSX and the Katana is far more realistic then the 737 will ever be. What product like the Katana and the Dimona get you is a simulation of something 90% of our customers could actually do.

True Mathijs.I bought the 737 out of curiosity as I spend most of my time inside a real one.Fair enough,it is quite realistic and delivers what it is promised.However in the end it grants us with the opportunity to learn something that,once and if mastered,becomes boring.A good friend of mine always said to me "you should live aviation as a hobby,if you do it for a living,the fun goes away really soon". I'm starting to think he was right. So for me the katana brings me the fun hobby part of the aviation,and gets it seriously right!!Isn't that great?It gives me the chance to experience something that I should do more often in the real life...And maybe I will start doing it. Thanks for the excellent product!

Sorry for any mistakes,written on a phone.

Mmm, I agree with Carlos and Mathjis... to a point. The Katana is simply an awesome little guy which offers the owner great fun and a flying experience that IMO is almost unparralleled in GA simming. The PMDG does this also, but as quite rightly has been said, requires a standard of knowledge that only few are prepared to learn correctly. I am one of the guys who have no knowledge whatsoever of flying 'proper' big aircraft in FSX, so my learning curve has been virtical! Because of my need to learn, my actual flying hours has dropped enormously, because I'm spending most of my time flying test flights and short hops rather than any constructive flying in the Katana or one of my other GAs. However, if I can get the balance right and not try to learn all I can in an unrealistic time, then I have found a degree of interest in FSX that is taking me to another level. So, if at any time FSX gets a little boring, then discovering the PMDG 737 NGX will offer a challenge to those who want to take themsleves to the next level in simming ;)

Speaking as someone who's flown a lot of FS GA... loves the Katana... is also a longtime airline buff and is currently learning airliner simming via the PMDG 737... I have to ask, why set up a conflict between the two of them? The choice between them isn't an either/or. Why not learn (slowly) to fly the NGX like a professional... and enjoy the Katana as though you own one and fly it on days when you're not flying the line? You could even branch out and spend some time in a restored warbird or propliner thanks to A2A, or borrow their Cub as though they were a friend of yours that had one to lend? It's possible to enjoy FSX in a whole variety of ways with just a few ultra-realistic aircraft. If you like a particular style of flying, great... but there's no reason not to explore a couple of them.

I don't think the OP was setting up a conflict. I think that is more your interpretation. As it happens, I suspect that the `behind the scenes` coding is probably very nearly as complex for either.

Both service the need to apply oneself in a systematic and professional capacity, both will not allow you to `slam and go`.

Both have layers of complexity that extend far beyond the simple knowledge of how to fly an airplane and replace it with a requirement to know (or learn) how to operate THIS airplane (a significantly different concept)

And both have a fascinating level of multi-dimensional activity that can make the satisfaction of the user extend to much, much more than merely getting the rubber off the runway... I have even spent a very pleasant simming evening JUST doing the maintenance and walkround checks on a `long term parked` model to get it ready for flying in the morning...

...or exactly what I have done in the Real World. Now that's simulation! :lightbulb_s:

No one was setting a conflict, neither comparing, I was just saying I find the katana more fun to fly. And it's not because I find the ngx difficult to learn or master, that wouldn't definitely be the case... The thing in my opinion is the katana, while being an extreme complex simulation of the real aircraft, brings me the perfect simulation of the "fun" real world aviation side, the one that people who enjoy flying do on their spare time as a hobby. For example, maintenance wise, the pmdg has a wear and tear simulation, and I keep seeing people asking on the forum for a virtual hangar where you could add oil or fix this or that in the ngx... Guess what, in real life no pilot would ever do that, as soon as you land from your last sector back to your home base, all pax disembark and you're ready to go home, you get the visit of a small van with a really smart guy inside who climbs into the a/c and asks us if something is wrong, well, usually we say no, however and despite our word he goes around and does a complete check of everything, ensuring that the a/c is ready for the next flight in the next morning! And the maintenance is always done within the limits, so, as no components ever go beyond their maintenance interval without proper care, chances for you to get a severe malfunction are ridiculous low... Now imagine you're using a katana in the real life, you don't have a background of engineers backing you up, you rely on your knowledge and understanding of the a/c systems to keep it airworthy, you need to ensure everything is right, you need to feel the engine and listen to it, and then, only then, you actually need to fly it. The katana 4x makes you do all this, and for me that's simulated fun, with the most detail I've ever seen!

The developer got it so so right with this little aircraft!

In the end I'm sure none of us were comparing anything, just expressing an opinion about what we think is fun good or bad to ourselves, exactly as you did. And I'm glad you did it, and I accept it because there's plenty of background in the flight sim world, and as I see it there's always a chance to learn something new due to the pluralism existent on this communities ;).

Apologies - my post wasn't nearly as clear as it should have been. I wasn't reacting to the OP at all - more to Mathijs' post. Though in fairness, now that I read what he wrote more carefully, I don't think he was drawing as sharp a contrast as I thought. And he did say it was his personal opinion, which is of course fine. All I really meant to say is that it's great to simulate things that customers could actually do... but there's also a place for simulating things that they could never do... and simulating them to a very high standard. That's the NGX, for me at least.

I'll say this - the NGX and the Katana, between them, have ruined most other simulated aircraft for me. I'll still turn to them from time to time - there are moments when I just want to get into the air quickly to test scenery or some other in-sim setting, and then I might load up Ant's Tecnam Sierra, which I still enjoy - there's something indefinable about it that just makes it feel like a very light airplane. But most of my others have been hangared. The A2A Accusim aircraft still measure up, especially the B-17, though personally I'm not a big user of the more game-like features like Heidi or the new 377 career model and usually turn them off (others swear by them, of course). But the NGX and the Katana are a whole new world. I'm guessing we can all agree on that. ;)