Some sounds missing...

Richard Portier

Hello,

After purchased the download version and installed the Simcheck A300 Ver 1.2b, it seems there are some sounds not played... Ex : No sound for Flaps, Slats, no "cockpit" sound when I power on the plane (BC_A300_FLAP_ NEW.wav or BC_A300_BAT_NEW.wav). These sounds are in the sound folder but not played in the sim.

FSX SP2 Accel, Windows XP3 pro

What's wrong ?

Thank you in advance.

Best Regards.

Richard Portier

Hi Richard,

We removed the flaps and slats sound because, as a user correctly pointed out, you cannot hear these sounds in the cockpit ;-)

Not sure what you mean by cockpit start-up sound though?

Björn

Hi Björn,

Thanks for your prompt answer.

I understand but the file BC_A300_FLAP_ NEW.wav is just click sound it's not the flap or slat sound during expand or retraction....

About "Not sure what you mean by cockpit start-up sound though".

With cockpit C&D I connect the bat ON in the elec panel. May be I'm wrong but normally there is an "ambiance" sound played ( BC_A300_BAT_NEW.wav) ? No ?

Please if you have the time of course can you listen these two wav files (more clear to understand what I mean).

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Richard Portier

Hi Richard,

I've tried settings slats and flaps with keyboard and joystick and the flap/slats handle sound plays just fine, the same with the "ambience" sound when the battery is on.

You said you are using version 1.2b, confirm that in the settings panel you see version "SP2b"?

Do other cockpit sounds play correctly? For instance when you flip switches?

Björn

Hi Richard,

I've tried settings slats and flaps with keyboard and joystick and the flap/slats handle sound plays just fine, the same with the "ambience" sound when the battery is on.

You said you are using version 1.2b, confirm that in the settings panel you see version "SP2b"?

Do other cockpit sounds play correctly? For instance when you flip switches?

Björn

Hi Björn,

I confirm : SP2b and yes it seems all switches play correctly. I have too the air sound when I connect Pneumatic...

Regards,

Richard

• 4 months later...

Hello,

Come back again with the A300 after few months... After deinstall/reinstall I notice there is always the problem sound missing related in my previous post.

Concern only some "click" sounds as flaps, parking brake... Also there is not "Ambiant" sound when I power up the batteries.

Edit : I updated my audio drivers (realtek). The problem is still there. I must add that the "click" wiper sound is not played too...

So, to be more specific the followings files located in the D:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Sound\SimCheckA300 :

-BC_A300_SLAT.wav

-BC_A300_WIPER.wav

-BC_A300_PBRAKE_OFF.wav

-BC_A300_PBRAKE_ON.wav

-BC_A300_FLAP.wav

are never played...

Seems other "clic clac" work normally.

I have this problem only with the A300. (I have all PMDG planes, CaptainSim etc...)

An other remark : is it normal that the external lights work with batteries off ? Is it a A300 feature ?

Am I alone with these issues ?

Thank you in advance

Regards,

Richard Portier

Hi Richard,

Just so we are on the same page, this is what you should here:

- When the WIPER switch is moved you should here a click sound for the switch, there is no sound for the movement of the wipers

- Flaps and slats you should here a click when the handle is moved, you can not hear the movement of the flaps in the cockpit

- Parking brake: you should here a wizzing click when it is pulled out or put back

- When the batteries are on you should hear the sound of the ventilation/cooling of the instruments, when the airco switches are on there should be an extra sound for the wind blowing through the airco vents

-> I will check the issue with the lights!

Björn

Hi Richard,

Just so we are on the same page, this is what you should here:

- When the WIPER switch is moved you should here a click sound for the switch, there is no sound for the movement of the wipers

- Flaps and slats you should here a click when the handle is moved, you can not hear the movement of the flaps in the cockpit

- Parking brake: you should here a wizzing click when it is pulled out or put back

- When the batteries are on you should hear the sound of the ventilation/cooling of the instruments, when the airco switches are on there should be an extra sound for the wind blowing through the airco vents

-> I will check the issue with the lights!

Björn

Hi Björn,

On the same page ? Yes we are. I speak only of what you have reported.

So, I think the executable that I downloaded is maybe not the good one. Why ? Here's what I found :

In the D:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Sound\SimCheckA300 folder

there are : BC_A300_BAT_NEW.wav and BC_A300_BAT.wav.

There are also BC_A300_FLAP_NEW.wav and BC_A300_FLAP.wav

I proceeded as follows : I renamed BC_A300_BAT_NEW.wav file in BC_A300_BAT_NEW.ORI then I renamed the BC_A300_BAT.wav file in BC_A300_BAT_NEW.wav. You know what ? It works !!

I conducted the same way with the BC_A300_FLAP_NEW.wav and BC_A300_FLAP.wav files....and it works too !!

After that, I had a look on these files with Audacity program editor. I could note that comparing that one of the two files had a low volume. And of course the file which had a low volume was the one which was not played. May be a clue ?

They were the only two duplicate files. So, I could not do the same with the other files (wiper, parking brake, slat etc etc...)

For information the downloaded ZIP file "AS_SIMCHECK_A300B4-200_FSX.zip"=209Mo (219 472 681 octets) created on saturday 11 june 2011.

And the AS_SIMCHECK_A300B4-200_FSX.exe file=212Mo (222 856 320 octets) created on the 04 march 2011 at 12:14

What do you think about ?

Waiting for your answer,

Best Regards,

Richard Portier

Dear Richard,

The version number of the panel can be found by opening the settings panel, it should be "SP2b", if it is different then you should download the latest version.

The files you quote are the correct files however.

"_NEW" files are updated sounds from new recordings I had made this year. In the FSX sound settings I have all the sliders at 50% and the sounds are clearly audible, so it is not clear why you don't hear them.

Note that I normally wear headphones while flying however, the ventilation sound is rather delicate, so maybe it is not very clear when using external speakers?

Kind regards,

Björn

Hi Björn,

I confirmed at the beginning in my post dated 18 june 2011 that I had the SP2b version.

As I explained in my previous post, changing the files : it works because the volume of the files is higher. I can clearly hear the click flap and ventilation sound. My sliders are at 50 like you...

From your side, have you installed the same executable file wich is actually to download on the site (exactly the same of mine) ?

From my side, what am I supposed to do ? Increase volume of wiper, slat, parking brake "clicks" with Audacity ?

It's very curious because other sounds like aircos switches, wind blowing through the airco vents work normally. The "ding" when the parking brake is on is ok too... And again it's the first time that I have this kind of problem.

I hope a solution can be found :) .

Except the problem of external light with battery off, I noticed that with the hydraulique off, all the surfaces move when I turn the yoke.

Anyway I like this plane and I would like to have all sound operational...

Best Regards,

Richard

Hi Richard,

I'd really like to help you with the sound stuff but I can't hear what you are hearing and I have the exact same files, does anyone else have this problem too?

The parking brake sound, flap handle sound, spoiler handle, battery sound, wiper switch... they all work just fine here. You cannot change individual sound volumes I'm afraid except if you start editing these files. So in your case they are completely not there? Comparing this to other aircraft doesn't make much sense btw as I don't use the standard FSX sound engine...

So it this point I'm at a loss why these sounds don't play on your system, but I will check to see if I can find anything out of the ordinary with these files.

I will look at the lights issue and the flight surface movements also. Thanks for pointing these out to me.

Björn

Hi Björn,

Thank you for your prompt answers ;-)

You speak about spoiler handle, also does not work... What is the name of the file because in the folder there is just _SPOILWIND file however the _TRIM file "yup yup" works !

"The parking brake sound, flap handle sound, spoiler handle, battery sound, wiper switch... they all work just fine here. You cannot change individual sound volumes I'm afraid except if you start editing these files. So in your case they are completely not there?"

Not sure to understand what you mean with this sentence ? "So in your case they are completely not there?"

The files are in the folder but I can't hear them.

"So it this point I'm at a loss why these sounds don't play on your system, but I will check to see if I can find anything out of the ordinary with these files."

Thank you very much for that. From my side I will try to edit some files (not today) in order to increase the volume with Audacity program and test...

Best Regards,

Richard

Hi Björn,

I edited the following files :

-PBRAKE OFF and ON

-SLAT

-WIPER

-PITCH_FEEL (seems it's the clicksound's airbrake)

-CLACKER

-ROT

I increased all these files with +10db

They work like expected now. I can hear them...

I will continue to test to see if some other files are affected

On another topic, I noticed that the BNKANG (bank angle warning) is not played. Is it implemented ?

Best Regards,

Richard

Hi Richard,

Strange that you have to turn up the volume so much for the sounds to be clear!

Regarding the GPWS question. "Bank angle" call outs are not implemented on all A300's, but it is on this one!

In the A300 world this is "GPWS - Mode 6".

The "Bank angle" call will only be heard at or below 100ft AGL and with bank angle of more than 30°.

Björn

Hi Björn,

"Strange that you have to turn up the volume so much for the sounds to be clear!"

In fact I choose this value arbitrarily, just for test... If I have time I will increase more gradually to see how high the file is audible.

For the GPWS I tested at 5000 ft... I ignored that it was at or under 100ft for the "bank angle". Thank you for the information.

About the sound problem it seems I'm alone, it's very curious. Do you think it would be interesting if I send you a "problem" file ? Just curious... If not I can live with that ;-)

One more thing I noticed : during T/O config test (pushing button) there is no alarm if the speed brakes is not armed. I may be misinterpreting the manual :

(CM3) T/O CONFIG TEST

 Depress T/O CONFIG TEST pushbutton and check no warnings.

If intermittent horn sounds and CONFIG lt is on, check:

 Pitch TRIM setting (red light on PCPI)

 SLATS or FLAPS position

 SPEED BRAKES position

What about ?

Last but not least ;-), a simple request : do you think is possible to include an APU sound in external view in a may be future update ?

Best Regards,

Richard

Hi Richard,

Sure, you can send over one of the files, no problem. The only thing I can think off is that these new files are true stereo and that maybe this gives a different effect on your computer versus some of the other files?

Regarding the TO warning, the alarm will go off if the Speed brakes are extended.

About the APU sound, we tried to add that and also the sound of the external power unit.

The problem we were faced with was this: we can create a sound based on the current view, so in external view -> turn on sound effect, but then there is no panning or distance effect (louder from the back than from the front for instance). We then tried to connect a sound file to an external effect feature (e.g. smoke coming out of the APU => play APU sound) and that worked great except that the sound will happily turn ON but it will not turn off again once the effect is removed! So after much experimenting we decided to abandon this idea. Does anyone else have a working APU sound that works realistically? If so, I'd be glad to hear how they did it ;)

Björn

Hi Richard,

Sure, you can send over one of the files, no problem. The only thing I can think off is that these new files are true stereo and that maybe this gives a different effect on your computer versus some of the other files?

Regarding the TO warning, the alarm will go off if the Speed brakes are extended.

About the APU sound, we tried to add that and also the sound of the external power unit.

The problem we were faced with was this: we can create a sound based on the current view, so in external view -> turn on sound effect, but then there is no panning or distance effect (louder from the back than from the front for instance). We then tried to connect a sound file to an external effect feature (e.g. smoke coming out of the APU => play APU sound) and that worked great except that the sound will happily turn ON but it will not turn off again once the effect is removed! So after much experimenting we decided to abandon this idea. Does anyone else have a working APU sound that works realistically? If so, I'd be glad to hear how they did it ;)

Björn

Hi Björn,

Where can I post file, here on the forum or PM (in PM I don't see upload file option) ?

Thank you

Richard