Mapping joystick buttons

MarkHurst

I just got the Dimona and I'm finding there seem to be several (many?) functions I can't map to buttons and switches. For example: opening and closing the cowl flaps, turning the master switch on and off, all the GPS functions, and so on. I realise that some functions have no FSX equivalent commands, but I would at least have expected standard functions (e.g. cowl flaps) to respond to standard FSX key mappings. Perhaps I'm going about it the wrong way.

A tip for CH Eclipse yoke users: I have mapped the spoilers to the spring-loaded 'paddle' axis, controlled with my left thumb, which I think makes them operate realistically.In other words, you can't leave them open by mistake!

Thats because none of these are standard functions in the Dimona. They are all faked and rewritten to get a realistic behaviour. (Except for the main switch, wich should be standard)

Thats because none of these are standard functions in the Dimona. They are all faked and rewritten to get a realistic behaviour. (Except for the main switch, wich should be standard)

Bummer, I had assumed it would be possible somehow to intercept the FSX commands and redirect them. Or would it be possible to hook onto unused commands - for example, one of the golden Age Simulations a/c implements a banner towing effect that's controlled by the 'tailhook' function (and obviously the a/c doesn't have a tail hook).

It surely is possible, but it would mean some serious extra workload.

Well I can't comment on the extra work, other than to say I'd be willing to pay a bit more. My own brand of FSX cockpit compromise features TrackIR, and flicking VC switches with the mouse is a real turn-off. At the moment, startup excepted, for this aircraft it's really just the cowl flaps that are the issue. (Oh, and the GPS - I will probably end up using the default GPS instead, as for me it's just not practical with the mouse.)

Well, just use the 2D gauge of the Dimona GPS (Included) if an 2d gps is an option for you.

The payment problem is, that maybe you would pay for it. No one else. So you had to pay for the entire work alone. I don't think, this is an option at all ;-)

Bests Joachim

Well, just use the 2D gauge of the Dimona GPS (Included) if an 2d gps is an option for you.

If it could be operated without the mouse, I would! I operate the default GPS through a custom keypad (actually just a re-labelled NUM keypad). One thing I haven't tried is FSUIPC 'mousetraps' for the 2D GPS, which might have potential...

One thing I haven't tried is FSUIPC 'mousetraps' for the 2D GPS, which might have potential...

No joy with FSUIPC. BUT...

Time for a super-hack that allows you to operate the VC GPS from the keyboard.

(1) Buy Key2Mouse from the WideView people.

(2) Install a spare monitor, as cheap and crappy as you like, resolution not that important, as long as you can make it work in FSX.

(3) Open the Dimona's 2D GPS panel and drag it to the second monitor.

(4) Use Key2Mouse to bind the keys you want to the appropriate mouse operations on the 2D panel. (I use a dedicated NUM keypad.)

(5) Switch the second monitor off and fly from the VC!

Video soon, probably ;)

Didn't even know, that such a program exists.

You never stop learning ;-)

Yeah, lots of tricks out there! Now I'm thinking about the C4 - that Key2Mouse thing will work in the VC too, so if I make a static (non-TrackIR) EZCA view for the C4 I ought to be able to spin the knobs from a real-life panel!

Next stop, cowl flaps :)

• 2 weeks later...

VERY NICE video!! Well explained, and nice views on the plane!

Thanks, although I can't take credit for the nice views! I think this is a lovely plane in the cockpit, and great frame rate too. I will have to learn to fly it properly, of course, so far I've just been charging about getting a feel for it.

I don't suppose you'd consider doing a 2D panel for the C4? You could stick it in the Discus too... ;)

Thanks for the kind words :-)

No a 2D version of the C4 is not planed, because it is perfectly readable and useable in VC. Sorry.

And it seems to work with your settings pretty well :-)

Best regards, Joachim