Caution: Trees on Runway

BPL

The other day I decided to take a quick flight from KBUY to KTTA in my Katana. I took off and flew Direct GPS toward my destination. Everything went fine until I noticed something very strange while on the 45 for left downwind: the airport was covered in trees! I was getting ready to go somewhere; so I decided to just quit the flight and figure out the problem later. I also figured that the problem was isolated to KTTA, since I'd never seen it anywhere else.

Last night I fired up the Katana for a short hop from KBUY to 5W8. I set up on the 45 for left downwind, and...oh no...the woods had overrun 5W8! At this point, I began to investigate. I discovered that many (but not all) of the airports in the area are covered in trees. Also, the clearing that surrounds the airports in FSX isn't there, and the terrain shimmers through the runways. The scenery and autogen just act as if there were no airport. The problem occurs with any aircraft.

Today I used Windows Update to install what I assume are the latest drivers for my video card, and the problem occurred before and after.

I run FSX SP2 with UTX.

My system specs:

Vista 64

2.60 GHz AMD Phenom II X4 810

4 GB RAM

NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Some thing similar happened to me. Are you using FTX products? If so switch back to FSX default.

Thanks for the reply.

I have the demo for FTX PNW; but I'm flying in North Carolina, not the FTX coverage area. Could FTX affect scenery outside its coverage area?

Thanks for the reply.

I have the demo for FTX PNW; but I'm flying in North Carolina, not the FTX coverage area. Could FTX affect scenery outside its coverage area?

Yes it can.. I believe it swaps some default autogen stuff. Generally the FTX Central provides a setting for aus,pnw, and fsx default. You actually have to be careful to even select the right region before you add one of their airports.

Yes it can.. I believe it swaps some default autogen stuff. Generally the FTX Central provides a setting for aus,pnw, and fsx default. You actually have to be careful to even select the right region before you add one of their airports.

Thanks for the help. I switched from North America to FSX Default in FTX Central, but the problem still exists. It did appear to change the look of it somewhat, but I think it made it worse. :huh: Now the runway is completely invisible from the ground (but reappears at altitude). The odd thing is that the scenery underneath the airport continues as if there were no airport. The clearing was replaced by forest and town textures, and the autogen continues right over the airport.

What should I try now? Should I uninstall FTX?

Hello BPL,

Or you could try FTX and seek assistance from them before un-installing.

Thanks. I hadn't thought of checking with FTX. I'm probably not going to have time to try anything for a while though; I'm very busy studying for the ACT.

If I get it fixed, I'll let y'all know. Thanks for all the help.:D

I haven't spoken with FTX yet. But I uninstalled my FTX demos, and the problem is still there.

I've discovered something else. The problem seems isolated to a certain part of North Carolina. I've checked airports in Washington State, Virginia, and South Carolina, and they're all fine. The airports in western North Carolina also seem to be fine. But KCLT, KRDU, KILM, and all the smaller airports around them have this issue. I've checked airports that are just a few miles apart but across state lines; the ones in NC are messed up, but the ones in SC and VA are fine.

I'm very perplexed. This is a big issue for me, since I do most of my flying in NC. Any ideas?

Hello BPL,

Trees are normally autogen so you need to find out what scenery placed autogen in this area.

Thanks, Shaun.

The only scenery that covers this area is UTX. Do you think that could cause it? The odd thing is that none of my add-on scenery covers just that area. UTX covers it, but it also covers the areas that have no problems. I can't imagine what kind of graphical issue would follow state lines! :blink:

BTW, Shaun, sorry I originally posted this in the wrong section of the forums; I wasn't sure where to post a support topic that didn't involve an Aerosoft product.

Thanks for your help! :)

Hello BPL,

Did you try disabling UTX in the scenery library.

Thanks for all your help, Shaun.

I just tried disabling UTX in the scenery library, and the problem is still there. I can't think of any other add-ons that would affect the scenery in that area. I also can't figure out why the problem only occurred recently. Those airports were fine in the past, and I can't think of anything that would have caused this problem since I last saw them.

I don't know what else to try besides reinstalling FSX, and that's probably more trouble than it's worth.

Hello BPL,

Save a flight at an exact location you see the trees in the wrong place, then try disabling every single add on scenery you installed even disable the Add On scenery folder entry in the scenery library and then reload your saved flights and see if the trees are still there. If not add a few sceneries back at a time to see if you can find the one.

Hello BPL,

Save a flight at an exact location you see the trees in the wrong place, then try disabling every single add on scenery you installed even disable the Add On scenery folder entry in the scenery library and then reload your saved flights and see if the trees are still there. If not add a few sceneries back at a time to see if you can find the one.

Thanks, Shaun. That's a great idea. :) I'll try it and post the results.

Thanks, Shaun. I figured out what's causing it! It's caused by the scenery area "Dangerous Airports 1: Burnsville." With this area disabled and all the others enabled, the problem is gone. How should I go about fixing it?

Thanks, Shaun. I figured out what's causing it! It's caused by the scenery area "Dangerous Airports 1: Burnsville." With this area disabled and all the others enabled, the problem is gone. How should I go about fixing it?

Hello BPL,

Can you please check that Dangerous Airports 1 is activated in the Aerosoft launcher.

Hello BPL,

Can you please check that Dangerous Airports 1 is activated in the Aerosoft launcher.

Yes, it is activated.

Does it also affect a default airport in the region if so can you give me the ICAO of one please.

7A8, which is just a few miles from Mountain Air, is affected. Here are some other affected airports: 5W8, KILM, KRDU, KCLT, KMRN, and many others. Some airports, such as KBUY, KAVL, KMWK, and NC14, are not affected.

While checking various airports to find examples for you, I noticed something else strange at several of the airports, such as KAVL, KMWK, and KMRN. When I selected "active runway" from the airport menu, FSX would place my aircraft not on the runway, but off to the side of it and at an angle to it.

Hello BPL,

Seems a few others have this issue so I will get it reported.

The actual file that seems to be causing the issue is cvxBURNSVILLE.BGL

So if you want to still use the airport just disable that file temporarily till its fixed.

Hello BPL,

Seems a few others have this issue so I will get it reported.

The actual file that seems to be causing the issue is cvxBURNSVILLE.BGL

So if you want to still use the airport just disable that file temporarily till its fixed.

Thanks for all the help and patience, Shaun. :D