Eaten by grizzly bears?

With this low of an OAT, I think I'm getting carb ice again. Is there a way to not crash into the mountains and get eaten by bears? As you can see I'm at full power power losing precious MP. I engaged carb heat and it didn't clear up the ice. I can't really descent to warmer air either. Do I have any options?

carbice.jpg

With this low of an OAT, I think I'm getting carb ice again. Is there a way to not crash into the mountains and get eaten by bears? As you can see I'm at full power power losing precious MP. I engaged carb heat and it didn't clear up the ice. I can't really descent to warmer air either. Do I have any options?

Technically, yes. You can drop lower and fly just above the trees. Foliage tends to absorb moisture in the atmosphere and can create a small region just above the treetops where the humidity is considerably lower than higher up if the wind velocity isn't too high as to disperse the layer. As icing is dependent not just on temperature, but also humidity, you might get lucky... if FS models the weather to that degree (which it doesn't).

You might be able to use this narrow banding to track to a lower, warmer altitude or to make a 180 and fly back out the way you came in - the only route that provides you with any degree of assurance that the icing is less.

What you cannot do is proceed forward.

Yeah interesting... looks like turning around and descending would have been the best. I decided to continue on (lol), skimming tree tops with just enough power to clear that larger range ahead, once clear of it, descended into a valley where I made an ER landing at a USFS strip. As I descended the ice seemed to clear up a little bit, because I had more avail MP.

Man this plane gets me haha!

Would the inlet baffle help there? Also, I remember Snave stating that the Carb heat is there to prevent carb icing, not to clear it up after it happened. It seems to work somehow (in the sim) though, but one better gets friend with those bears soon when flying the Katana in close to icing conditions. :lol:

I actually love that "downside", talking about the modelled effects of icing on the Katana.

I think default FSX planes can "ice" too, but it takes some hours in arctic regions it seems and also doesn't set in very reasonable in my eyes. What happens very fast is the iced Pitot tube though.

I had a similar situation a few days ago.

At first Carb heat didn't do anything, besides decreasing MP heavily.

After a minute or two MP slowly started to rise, to the point where I was only flying a little below Max power again, much higher than before applying Carb heat.

Sometimes this just takes a little more time.

When you notice Carb icing and try the carb heat, give it a little time. You'll think you've been patient, but a minute or two in that situation is a lot longer than normal ;-)

• Upvote 1

The carb icing simulation is one of the really enjoyable aspects of Katana. I've been bitten twice - both times on warm, humid days, and for exactly the same reason on both occasions: I was preoccupied looking for the airfield and forgot to pull the carb heat in time. Makes me wonder how often that happens in the real world ...

• Upvote 1

The carb icing simulation is one of the really enjoyable aspects of Katana. I've been bitten twice - both times on warm, humid days, and for exactly the same reason on both occasions: I was preoccupied looking for the airfield and forgot to pull the carb heat in time. Makes me wonder how often that happens in the real world ...

Not much, as I've never experienced carb icing in a Rotax-engined aircraft. Even in the British climate! Marcel however, had it in one of the development flights for the Katana 4X, so it can happen. And I put it down to making judicious use of carb heat - As we've pointed out in the Tech forum, carb heat can be applied at any time in the real Rotax 912 if required, as the carb heat is actually heating the body of the carb, not the incoming air as it is with most old ironhead Lyconentals so its effect on power is really quite small, and the air is already slightly heated by the position of the carbs relative to the exhaust headers

105_pic3.jpg

and by the fact that the air doesn't come in directly to the carbs. But as the air compresses as it travels through the throat of the carb it gets colder, so any moisture can be deposited in the carb throat or butterfly where it can freeze and begin ice build-up.

Beggers the question why, after all these years Rotax haven't gone over to fuel injection? But that's a different issue...