Instead of a Strip Map...

In the old days when I was preparing for a long trip in a Hunter, the first step was to get all the maps that covered the route and stick them all together with glue, draw on the track from start point to destination and finally cut away all of it that was more than 50 miles each side of track. This made it into a strip map 100 miles wide and it was folded concertina fashion so that it could sit on my right thigh and be opened a section at a time as I proceded up the track. We had no nav aids in our Hunters so navigation was all by map reading.

Now it is different and as I prepare to take Echo round the World I am substituting an EFB (Electronic Flight Bag) for the big pile of strip maps that I would need for the circumnavigation. Here are a few shots that I took today as I tested the EFB in Echo's cockpit:-

EFB01.jpg

When I call it up it sits on my right knee like this. I have just set a "Direct To" to McLeland Field.

The other shots can be seen by clicking this address:-

http://forum.mutleyshangar.com/index.php/topic/6111-instead-of-a-strip-map/

Thanks for looking :D