Katana and/or Dimona

kerel

Hi,

Love to fly the Katana. What about the new Dimona? Better flying feelings, more beauty, about the same?

Is it worth to buy both? Please tell me.

Regards

Karel

Hi,

Love to fly the Katana. What about the new Dimona? Better flying feelings, more beauty, about the same?

Is it worth to buy both? Please tell me.

Regards

Karel

Completely different, apart from the fact that you sit on the left under a bubble canopy. The fun with the Katana starts before you start the engine.

With the Dimona it's when you stop it... :)

• Upvote 2

I have them both and love 'em both. They offer quite different experiences. I must disagree with Snave about one point: I think the Dimona is also plenty of fun with the engine running. ;)

• Upvote 2

Same for me here. I love both of them, but I think the Katanas Cockpit looks a little bit better. Also the Dimonas climb performance is just poor, but yeah, it's worth a try. Just don't get the silly idea to fly from an airfield where you must make steep climbs after takeoff.

• Upvote 1

Same for me here. I love both of them, but I think the Katanas Cockpit looks a little bit better. Also the Dimonas climb performance is just poor, but yeah, it's worth a try. Just don't get the silly idea to fly from an airfield where you must make steep climbs after takeoff.

Txt all. I do understand it is better not to buy the Dinamo.

Regards

Kareltje

Txt all. I do understand it is better not to buy the Dinamo.

Regards

Kareltje

Then you miss the entire point of the replies you have received.

Which is a lesson in itself.

Then you miss the entire point of the replies you have received.

Which is a lesson in itself.

No you did. It was a joke from a real Dutch gay.

Regards and sleep well.

Karel

Any plane that does NOT have a maintainance mode and all the other stuff and options and modes the Katana has, has become boring to me, really... Which is a bit of a shame, but well... I even (really!!!) deleted all my other planes from my computer (apart from the Airbus X, but all my other planes were GA). But then again, just as in real life you usually own ONE plane and have to deal with that... so it's no big problem.

Now you could say it's all about the flying, but even then: flying the Katana will have all kinds of effects later on, so you are a lot more careful with it, which makes it far more realistic.

Anyway, my PERSONAL answer to the OP would be" does the DImona have the same modes etc. as the Katana? No? Then I wouldn't buy it. ^_^

May be it is true what you say. Before I flied the SF260. Very nice to fly, not the quality textures as Katana has, but anyway nice. Saw on a FS exhibition that the FS 260 was more a hobby of FSX enthousiasts.

Now my Katana is parked on Thionville, France and I go on to the next. When I'm in Swiss I will buy the other one, I think.

Regards and have a nice day.

karel

One point of view Jeroen, but then the opposing camp could equally ask: "Can the Katana glide with the engine off, or even gain height in thermal activity? No? Then I won't be buying it..."

The point is its horses for courses, and neither can possibly meet ALL the varied expectations.

The fact that someone feels the need to ask about a comparison between the two suggests they are the ones that need to do the study, as it's like comparing chalk and cheese! - and you don't know whether you're talking to a cheese connoisseur, or a blackboard manufacturer... :huh:

Personally, I would use my Lancair for extended cross-countries, the Katana for local flying and the Dimona for its intended use as a motor glider. But that doesn't mean I get rid of the J41, the B17 or the 377, the P47 or the Spit, the PC12 or even the Dynamic, as each fulfills a different role in the simulator. For aerobatics I might choose something else, but for short-field landings and take-offs all of the above are rubbish, compared to the Beaver or a Huey...

What makes the original question insubstantial is that we have no idea of the OP's requirements or intentions, so no basis for comparison.

My criteria and your criteria may have no impact on our Dutch friend, who may be after the most realistic bicycle-spotter, or a true mountain flyer, or something with a large baggage capacity for smuggling weed, but as we don't know, we can't say... :D

• Upvote 1

My criteria and your criteria may have no impact on our Dutch friend, who may be after the most realistic bicycle-spotter, or a true mountain flyer, or something with a large baggage capacity for smuggling weed, but as we don't know, we can't say... :D

To fly as real as it gets. To have a nice plane of my own. To fly VFR around the areas I know very well. To make longer trips, from Netherlands to ... France, Germany, Paris, Swiss, Austria, Corse ... wouw.

I stopped IFR-IVAO, because too much to work.

Regards

Karel

To fly as real as it gets. To have a nice plane of my own. To fly VFR around the areas I know very well.

For this the Katana is the best. I mean, it's as close as you can get to having a real plane on your own! But for this...

To make longer trips, from Netherlands to ... France, Germany, Paris, Swiss, Austria, Corse ... wouw.

...you'll need something completely different. I think the Orbx Lancair would be a good choice for that, although I don't own it myself. Obviously you could also get an Airbus or Boeing for those longer trips, but since you asked about the Dimona I presume you want a small plane. The Dimona isn't suited for what you want (obviously, I'd say). You already have the Katana and you seem to need something for the longer flights: hence the Lancair.

For longer and faster trips and high simuation depth I would also recommend the A2A WoP3 Spitfire. I made a few civilian paints for it, that turn it pretty much into a sophisticated GA tail-dragger. Here:

http://aussiex.org/f...e-g-algt-rm689/

http://aussiex.org/f...e-g-asjv-mh434/

http://aussiex.org/f...spitfire-rn201/

http://aussiex.org/f...re-black-eagle/

The spitfire is really awesome, just a pity about the fast engine degradation issue that has been noted by A2A and their reluctance to bring out a patch for that even after 3 months from the date of them acknowledging that there is a problem. I understand their point that they are busy with other projects and want to facilitate everything in one, but for me that has resulted in the spit being left in the hanger as the huge number of engine replacements just take something away from the "sim" so until the patch comes out, I am sorry but my Spit do not get much airtime.. a real pity if you ask me and a frustration for a lot of users who would have used it much more if it wasnt for this issue, but we all waiting anxiously for the patch as the A2A Spit is really awesome and it sure do need to be flown a lot more...

For this the Katana is the best. I mean, it's as close as you can get to having a real plane on your own! But for this...

...you'll need something completely different. I think the Orbx Lancair would be a good choice for that, although I don't own it myself. Obviously you could also get an Airbus or Boeing for those longer trips, but since you asked about the Dimona I presume you want a small plane. The Dimona isn't suited for what you want (obviously, I'd say). You already have the Katana and you seem to need something for the longer flights: hence the Lancair.

As it has been said above, it is all different for each other as we all have different criteria, but I personally love the carenado C208 for the little longer flights. Still fast enough for me with the added bonus that you can get into very small strips and even some dirt strips if need to be. Something that you cannot do with the lancair.. the lancair is something like a Rolles Royce, fantastic car but you just dont use it on dirt off road. The C208 is more like a Pajero.. still a lot of style and speed for the open road, but also the ability to daily use it for "off-roading"and a lot of baggage area for smuggling that weed..

However if you said you looking at a twin, for sure there is nothing that comes close to the Realair Turbine Duke of course..!! in a class of its own. That is the Porsche Cayenne for m; Fast but once a year you can take her into the back country also

As it has been said above, it is all different for each other as we all have different criteria, but I personally love the carenado C208 for the little longer flights. Still fast enough for me with the added bonus that you can get into very small strips and even some dirt strips if need to be. Something that you cannot do with the lancair.. the lancair is something like a Rolles Royce, fantastic car but you just dont use it on dirt off road. The C208 is more like a Pajero.. still a lot of style and speed for the open road, but also the ability to daily use it for "off-roading"and a lot of baggage area for smuggling that weed..

However if you said you looking at a twin, for sure there is nothing that comes close to the Realair Turbine Duke of course..!! in a class of its own. That is the Porsche Cayenne for m; Fast but once a year you can take her into the back country also

Great planes but not for VFR. Long trips? Luxembourg-Thionville? Even with your bike to do. Short nice holiday trips, that's what I want.

Karel

Though I can´t be regarded unbiased...

Try to forget about the Dimona as a motorglider and look on it what it also is - a GA aircraft, though it is on the slow side, it has a superiour range, beeing able to fly 800 km on a full tank.

The Katana would need to do a refueling stop for such a distance - so which of them do You think would be quicker doing the trip?

The Dimona has a normal cruise speed of 167 km/h (90 kts), where the Katana has 215 km/h (116 kts), so none of tham has sparkling performance.

On the otherside You will have time to enjoy Your favorite scenery and the challenge is just about the same when used as GA aircrafts.

I wonder why the slow speed of the Dimona should be a stopping factor for buying it.

Why buy the slow A2A Piper Cub when I can get the fast Carenado Mooney for even less ?

Like Snave says... It´s two different aircraft.

None of them can be regarded as expensive, so why not get both and then enjoy their weakness and strength ;)

Finn

Great planes but not for VFR

Why not? They have all the instruments (GPS isn't necessary for VFR) and a good view to spot for landmarks.

Long trips? Luxembourg-Thionville? Even with your bike to do. Short nice holiday trips, that's what I want.

Your own words:

To make longer trips, from Netherlands to ... France, Germany, Paris, Swiss, Austria, Corse ... wouw.

Now which is it? ;)

Why not? They have all the instruments (GPS isn't necessary for VFR) and a good view to spot for landmarks.

Your own words:

Now which is it? ;)

Thionville-Metz-Nancy and next? Tell me

karel

Thionville-Metz-Nancy and next? Tell me

karel

Well, I only own the Katana.

But I love that freakin' plane....

It's a joy to fly and I find out new things almost every flight... =)

As for range: You probably won't fly either of them to their max. Range => simply takes too long

The Range on the Katana is enough for almost everything.

Cheers,

Stefan

Well, I only own the Katana.

But I love that freakin' plane....

It's a joy to fly and I find out new things almost every flight... =)

As for range: You probably won't fly either of them to their max. Range => simply takes too long

The Range on the Katana is enough for almost everything.

Cheers,

Stefan

TXT, yes may be I keep it this way. To have too many planes is not right. The Robin will be the next.

regards

Karel

TXT, yes may be I keep it this way. To have too many planes is not right. The Robin will be the next.

regards

Karel

That's the only reason I'm not buying the Dimona (for now).

The Katana is an awesome little plane and the FSX model is in my opinion the new benchmark for GA aircraft.

Sure, I'll be planes without "maintenance options", but they better be a lot different from what I already have ;-)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have an up-to-date system and the Dimona has the worst performance of all my add-ons. It runs even worse than one of those airliner add-ons like the Ifly 737X or the PMDG Jetstream. It is not just a FPS hit, the problem is that it seems to create a lot of micro-stuttering. For me, it is unflyable and that is a shame because it is a very nice add-on.

The Katana X runs fine, by the way.