Possible fix for error on closing FSX

• Aerosoft

Some users see an error when they flown the Airbus X as the last aircraft. We tracked this down to some memory that's not released by FSX as it closes. We did ask MS for some help on this, but as you know FSX is not there main interest at this moment, lol.

But a friendly user (Steve), told me the issue is solved after he copied msvcr71.dll into the root FSX folder. You will most likely find several copies of msvcr71.dll on your system, just pick the newest one and copy it. If it does not help it will do for sure no harm!

As I do not see the error on my systems I can't test this here, but I would be very glad if some other people would try this and report.

• Deputy Sheriffs

Hallo Mathijs,

ich hab das vor einiger Zeit schon mal geprüft, bei mir hat das nicht geholfen, aber ich glaube ich hatte nicht die neueste Version von der msvcr71.dll!

Ich versuch das heute Abend nochmals!

Gruß

Holgi

• Deputy Sheriffs

I'm not a programmer, but as far as I understood, a dll must be loaded to take effect. And as this msvcr71.dll is not part of FSX or another addon, I think it must be loaded somehow before FSX ist started. I checked this with Process Explorer from Sysinternals and found that on my machine it has been loaded at startup by an Adobe product.

So maybe its worth to check:

- is the msvcr71.dll available on the system

- is it already loaded befor you start FSX. Thsi can be chekced through the Process Explorer.

EDIT:

I found this dll 24x on my machine with the following version numbers:

- 7.10.3052.4 size 348160 byte

- 7.10.2179.0 size 344060 byte

- 7.10.6030.0 size 348160 byte

Loaded has been the first one and of course, I never had this CTD ;)

I don't even have this dll on my computer. At least my search-function cannot find one. Can someone give me a hint where I have to look? Or do I have to download one?

BTW I have Win7 Home installed.

I don't even have this dll on my computer. At least my search-function cannot find one. Can someone give me a hint where I have to look? Or do I have to download one?

BTW I have Win7 Home installed.

If you have MS Office installed it will be located in C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office12\ADDINS (path for Office 2007)

If you dont have MS Office installed but do have Acrobat reader try C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Help Viewer\1.1

Assuming of course you install to the default locations

If your using 32 bit windows 7 remove the (x86)

If you have MS Office installed it will be located in C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office12\ADDINS (path for Office 2007)

If you dont have MS Office installed but do have Acrobat reader try C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Help Viewer\1.1

Assuming of course you install to the default locations

If your using 32 bit windows 7 remove the (x86)

Hmm... I don't have MSOffice installed.

And even with a update to Adobe reader10 I don't have the Adobe Help Viewer on my system.

So, is it possible to download one and use it like described or is it not possible because it has to be launched in connection with a application?

EDIT: Ok I have found one in the downs of my system. Stupid search function. I will test this now.

And even with a update to Adobe reader10 I don't have the Adobe Help Viewer on my system.

So, is it possible to download one and use it like described or is it not possible because it has to be launched in connection with a application?

Im guessing it will have to be launched by an application. Im guessing you dont have Java installed either, as I noticed the dll was used there too. Feel free to try the attached dll from my system. Its a clean file but neither aerosoft or myself are responsible for any adverse effects it might cause your system.

Im guessing it will have to be launched by an application. Im guessing you dont have Java installed either, as I noticed the dll was used there too. Feel free to try the attached dll from my system. Its a clean file but neither aerosoft or myself are responsible for any adverse effects it might cause your system.

Thanks for your help. dll installed, FSX launched, Airbus selected and FSX closed = CTD. So no positive effect here. Maybe a running app would change the result. However....I will have a look on what I can find on my system for a further try.

• Deputy Sheriffs

EDIT: Ok I have found one in the downs of my system. Stupid search function. I will test this now.

Chris, depending on your security settings it might happen, that this file is just not shown.

There for it might help to use the tool I pointed to. It is very simple:

- download the zipfile and unzip it to the directory of your choice

- run the exe (best "run as admin")

The click on the binokular (1), enter msvcr71.dll in the search window (2)and click "search" (3)

and you will get something like this:

doubleclick on the search result (4) and you will get something like this:

And so you can be sure that the dll is present and loaded.

well the right location for the files can be seen here as it seems the files are missing in WIN 7 and vista: http://www.addictive...r-in-windows-7/

AS i also checked the system for the: msvcr71.dll file and wasen´t there on any of my systems. Then i start thinking about the Hitman game as i have had an problem whit an missing file for log time a go. There i just downloaded the msvcr71.dll from the net and then the game worked, after placing the file in the windows folder.

UPDATE

sorry but dident work either whit the file from the latest java

• Deputy Sheriffs

Yes that's correct, I just checked a notebook I set up today still with bare Win7 64 bit on it and the file is also missing. But I'm not sure if just putting it in a folder is enough, if there isn't an application loading it.

Maybe registering the dll in windows will do the trick? As then it will be in the registry.

To register go to the elevated command prompt and type regsvr32 msvcr71.dll

If you struggle with the elevated command prompt have a look here

• Deputy Sheriffs

I think this doesn't help to, because dlls or either loaded on startup of an application or dynamically during runtime.

In my case the msvcr71.dll is loaded on startup by Adobe Version Cue, an application that comes with Photoshop. The same file is used by various other applications on my machine and are loaded when running the apps.

This brings me to the conclusion, that the solution posted just happened by accident.

• 2 weeks later...