Carb heat = high CHT = engine self destruct

Just wondering if it is worth asking for temporary fix, or wait for the official patch. I also have this issue. With only 40 minutes on the engine, I have condition at 52%. That was following a flight with carb icing conditions at cruise and in descent. Moderate carb heat was used at cruise settings, and then open during descent. Notice my CHT was high a few minutes to landing. Just checked my data file and it shows the 52%.

So count me in...

• Deputy Sheriffs

As far as it seems now, the problem that occured at some users, have been solved. I am waiting for some other fixes and also have some issues on my list before packing everything together for a patch.

Dear Marcel,

Of course I am a very patient guy, and I do not want to apply any pressure. :rolleyes:

But would it be possible to give an indication about the expected date/week/month of the patch?

That might save me some daily disappointment when checking the forum. :D

Thanks for a great product with great support!

Dear Marcel,

Of course I am a very patient guy, and I do not want to apply any pressure. :rolleyes:

But would it be possible to give an indication about the expected date/week/month of the patch?

Was kind of hoping for this as well, but it seems the support staff is on hiatus. A post for help was made back on the 10th and only non-support folks have even attempted to assist. Shame. I love the plane, but had hoped it would come with some developer support as well.

Was kind of hoping for this as well, but it seems the support staff is on hiatus. A post for help was made back on the 10th and only non-support folks have even attempted to assist. Shame. I love the plane, but had hoped it would come with some developer support as well.

No idea what you are on about. You made no post in the support forum on the 10th May?

Rather than being obtuse and petty, in a topic where it is obvious developer support IS being provided, why not be specific, and stay out of threads where you have no business? As I recall, and if you are referring to the flickering generator light issue (posted 11th May), there is no need for a developer reply as you have yet to provide full particulars to enable anything resembling a successful troubleshoot.

If you need to know HOW to do so, ask in the correct place.

• Upvote 1

No idea what you are on about. You made no post in the support forum on the 10th May?

Rather than being obtuse and petty, in a topic where it is obvious developer support IS being provided, why not be specific, and stay out of threads where you have no business? As I recall, and if you are referring to the flickering generator light issue (posted 11th May), there is no need for a developer reply as you have yet to provide full particulars to enable anything resembling a successful troubleshoot.

If you need to know HOW to do so, ask in the correct place.

Maybe you should take some of your own advise and mind your own business and address posts that are intended for you. I am referring to the gen flickering post which in my time zone occurred on exactly May 10th at 10:02pm if I must be specific, although the concept of time zones may be lost on your narrow focus.

I do have business here as I am suffering from the same issues being discussed in this post and as a paying customer I will comment in it if I wish. I do not require your permission to do so. In the other topic I have supplied all requested information, which incidentally only came at your request and a couple other customers, and no comments or additional requests for information have come from the developer that I bought this plane from. That is where my frustration lies. And now from your arrogance as well. Let's hope Aerosoft does not sanction your representation because if they do I'd say it's about time they sought volunteers elsewhere.

• Upvote 1

Dear Marcel,

Hi Eric,

Sorry for the late answer. I am on travel for some days and there is not much time left. I have been waiting for a fix I couldn't provide. It has arrived in my mailbox meanwhile and I will be able to complete the files once I am back at home.

Greetings,

Marcel

• Upvote 1

Maybe you should take some of your own advise and mind your own business and address posts that are intended for you. I am referring to the gen flickering post which in my time zone occurred on exactly May 10th at 10:02pm if I must be specific, although the concept of time zones may be lost on your narrow focus.

I do have business here as I am suffering from the same issues being discussed in this post and as a paying customer I will comment in it if I wish. I do not require your permission to do so. In the other topic I have supplied all requested information, which incidentally only came at your request and a couple other customers, and no comments or additional requests for information have come from the developer that I bought this plane from. That is where my frustration lies. And now from your arrogance as well. Let's hope Aerosoft does not sanction your representation because if they do I'd say it's about time they sought volunteers elsewhere.

Cant believe Aerosoft allow this guy to do "support" with his rude/arrogant comments, but it seem that the developer/Aerosoft dont mind this product being drawn through the mud with "support" answers like that. A number of complaints have been lodged and it seem that Aerosoft is turning a blind eye to this guys rudeness so dont get your hopes up but in the mean time "ignore" do help most of the sometimes..

A really shame if you ask me, because I know Marcel go way beyond what can be expected to give support. On the case about Marcel not being available 24/7, Mathys have posted somewhere a post saying that Marcel is attending conference and will not be here a couple of days and support might be a bit less and we will see him around here not that often. Apart from that also rspect the fact that he has a normal "LIFE" also beyond his normal working hours, and that Marcels working hours are not always in the same time zone as your time Zone so a little patience do help sometimes..

• Upvote 2

• Deputy Sheriffs

Hi Eric,

Sorry for the late answer. I am on travel for some days and there is not much time left. I have been waiting for a fix I couldn't provide. It has arrived in my mailbox meanwhile and I will be able to complete the files once I am back at home.

Greetings,

Marcel

Hi Marcel,

Thank you for your answer, I understand.

When it's ready, it will come. :D

A really shame if you ask me, because I know Marcel go way beyond what can be expected to give support. On the case about Marcel not being available 24/7, Mathys have posted somewhere a post saying that Marcel is attending conference and will not be here a couple of days and support might be a bit less and we will see him around here not that often. Apart from that also rspect the fact that he has a normal "LIFE" also beyond his normal working hours, and that Marcels working hours are not always in the same time zone as your time Zone so a little patience do help sometimes..

Understood, and agreed. I don't frequent the other forums and therefore did not know that Marcel would be out of pocket for a determined time, otherwise I would have gladly waited until his return. I felt that a little over two weeks was probably long enough to get even a single reply back from an official support person, especially seeing that other posts were indeed being responded to, but I have no doubt real life situations can play large roles. They do for me as well. I believe I may have stumbled across my own solution for the gen light flickering problem, so I'll be happy if there is a solution found for this carb heat problem. At which point this will pretty much be my favorite GA plane to go sight seeing in.

My apologies for sinking to the levels of those I don't wish to emulate.

• 1 month later...

im having the Carb heat = CHT issue last flight, CHT went off the scale and would not come back down no matter what I do. I had to use the reset tool. Im using the beta 1.0.1 patch.

Is there a fix for this yet? I notice the beta patch was from back in april and was wondering if there is any progress.

• Upvote 1

im having the Carb heat = CHT issue last flight, CHT went off the scale and would not come back down no matter what I do. I had to use the reset tool. Im using the beta 1.0.1 patch.

Is there a fix for this yet? I notice the beta patch was from back in april and was wondering if there is any progress.

It's still work in hand. Have you checked for damage? Correct use of the baffle? You may need the reset tool.

It's still work in hand. Have you checked for damage? Correct use of the baffle? You may need the reset tool.

The CHT did come down after a while, there was no damage when I checked the engine after flight. I will keep an eye on it and let you know.

The CHT did come down after a while, there was no damage when I checked the engine after flight. I will keep an eye on it and let you know.

well interim solution is leave carb heat alone if you can, at all cost, then you will not have any problem. well that is until they release a patch for the carb heat. I know marcel is working on it and I have done some tests for him, so he is definately attending to it

• 2 weeks later...

well interim solution is leave carb heat alone if you can, at all cost, then you will not have any problem. well that is until they release a patch for the carb heat. I know marcel is working on it and I have done some tests for him, so he is definately attending to it

But then manifold pressure drops because of icing. Why is this patch taken so,long?

But then manifold pressure drops because of icing. Why is this patch taken so,long?

Because there are some new features in the patch that needed to be tested and some fixes took longer research. Sorry for the delay!

Because there are some new features in the patch that needed to be tested and some fixes took longer research. Sorry for the delay!

Great news Marcel! It seems every time there is a bug-fix or a patch brought out, you manage to add a new feature to Katana in addition to fixing a problem! Thanks for the update, and I look forward to the release of the next patch!

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Just a short information: I am on travel for a while and didn't get the liscence of a essential software to work on this computer. The problem has been solved this night and I hope to get the patch out very soon now...

Greetings,

Marcel

Hi Marcel, this my first post on the subject of the Katana. I only bought it 2 days ago, and haven't flown it very much yet. I spent the time I have had going through the systems and the manual. I haven't noticed any real problems as yet, but the news of a patch coming soon is very nice to hear.

I want to say at this point, although I haven't done anything but circuits yet, this a remarkable piece of work. She feels very nice to fly, and I really like the trim tab simulation. I new roughly how trim tabs worked, or rather what they did, but it took me a few circuits, landings, adjustments, and more circuits to get it just right. Well as near as I can get it so far anyway. I made a few stupid mistakes (yes I'm an idiot), and one was forgetting to put the cap back on the oil filler. Boy did that cost me blush.gif A new or repaired engine, and took ages to clean off all the muck. Talking of which, there was a video on youtube that showed the Katana coming in on final. I was watching intently, then suddenly, SPLAT, a bug hit the canopy and made it dirty. That was the deciding factor in me buying this plane, the fact it gets dirty, and you have to clean it. Totally inspired and realistic.

I'm going to take her up this afternoon for a real flight touring some airports, and I think I will enjoy this plane very much.

Congratulations on such a fantastic, immersive product, I am very, very impressed so far. Look forward to the patch, and thank you.

Update on yesterdays first real flight:

Started off really well, apart from I had to adjust the trim tabs a few more times to get them right. I did however have a problem with my engine CHT, and Oil pressure being a bit high I thought. I didn't use carb heat for the first 2 legs of the flight, and taking off on the third leg all seemed fine. I did do the walk round and checks on each landing as I had to shut down to adjust the trim tabs, and no problems were found. On the third leg I started to lose power and had to use the carb heat. I think I was too late, and had to set down. I shut down and did a complete inspection, but still nothing wrong found. I spawned behind the host at the next airport, and did another complete inspection and waited five minutes to get going again. For the rest of the flight my CHT were very high, and oil pressure too, but no faults were reported. When I go back in the Katana again, I'm gonna have to replace the engine I think. I don't know if the same issue as others, or bad pilotage, but I suspect the latter to be honest. One thing I can say, this plane lands beautifully.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Deputy Sheriffs

Just a short information: I am on travel for a while and didn't get the liscence of a essential software to work on this computer. The problem has been solved this night and I hope to get the patch out very soon now...

Hi Marcel,

Is it possible by now to give a bit more exact time frame to the above mentioned indication 'very soon now'? ;)

In fact the installer has already be done this week, but I found a some wrong files (my fault...) on the compilation so I had to repack and upload everything to Aerosoft with a very poor and slow internet connection. The next days I will be on travel again but I hope, that the update can be released also I am away...

Greetings,

Marcel

• Deputy Sheriffs

In fact the installer has already be done this week, but I found a some wrong files (my fault...) on the compilation so I had to repack and upload everything to Aerosoft with a very poor and slow internet connection. The next days I will be on travel again but I hope, that the update can be released also I am away...

Thanks for the reply, Marcel, and I hope so too.