Adding Autopilot

here is how I added the default Autopilot to the katana

I also wrote a little gauge to help with the heading setting as there is no "heading" knob inside the katana

It look like this and the clickspots have been indicated

ap_kat.jpg

I also added a simple HSI gauge for those that want it. (you need to re-download the file to get access to the HSI file also and correct the panel entry as below in RED)

Just a little easier to see the heading and where heading bug is pointing..!

APKAT.jpg

STEPS

1) activating autopilot in aircraft.cfg

changed the entry in the aircraft.cfg of the katana

open aircraft.cfg with notepad and scroll down till you get autopilot section

[autopilot]

autopilot_available=0

the entry autopilot_available must be changed from 0 to 1

after change it should like like this

[autopilot]

autopilot_available=1

NB (dont add autopilot section. it is already there inside the aircraft.cfg of the katana)

2) Add 2D additional heading gauge for katana

Download the file here that facilitate the changing of "heading"

http://www.mediafire...d02kv9yjwa3nfmu

select SAVE as and save to your computor.

then move this gauge file "AP_KAT.cab" and add it to the "gauges" folder that you will finder under the FSX root folder. (DO NOT TRY AND UNZIP)

for FSX standard install under windows 7

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Gauges

3) Add 2D popup to the Panel.cfg file.

Open the panel.cfg file with notepad.

You will find the file indise the panel folder under the katana install

for FSX standard install under windows 7

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\SimObjects\Airplanes\Diamond DA20-100 'Katana'\panel

Now add the red entries

-----------------------------

[Window Titles]

Window00=Main Panel

Window02=Icons

Window04=Autopilot

Window20=Ground & Preflight > Ground Equipment // 7200

Window21=Ground & Preflight > Tow Bar // 7210

Window22=Ground & Preflight > Walkaround Check // 7220

Window23=Ground & Preflight > Trim Tabs // 7230

Window24=Ground & Preflight > Fuel // 7240

Window25=Ground & Preflight > Oil and Liquidts // 7250

Window26=Ground & Preflight > Payload // 7260

Window27=Ground & Preflight > Cleaning // 7270

Window28=Ground & Preflight > Temperature Sensor // 7280

Window30=Maintenance > Aircraft and Equipment // 7300

Window31=Maintenance > Workshop // 7310

Window32=Maintenance > Service // 7320

window40=Instructor Panel > Systems Overview // 7400

window41=Instructor Panel > Engine and Fuel // 7410

window42=Instructor Panel > Electric // 7420

window43=Instructor Panel > Instruments and Avionics // 7430

window44=Instructor Panel > Systems and Faults // 7440

Window50=Settings > Settings // 7500

Window61=Initiation // 7610

Window62=Data Window // 7620

//-----------------------------------------------------------------------

[VIEWS]

VIEW_FORWARD_WINDOWS=MAIN_PANEL,

VIEW_FORWARD_DIR=11.0, 0.0, 0.0

//-----------------------------------------------------------------------

[Window00]

file=

size_mm=1280

window_size_ratio=1.000

position=7

visible=0

no_luminous=1

ident=MAIN_PANEL

window_size= 1.000, 1.000

window_pos= 0.000, 0.000

zorder=0

[Window02]

BACKGROUND_COLOR=1,1,1

size_mm=250,2000

window_size_ratio=1.000

windowsize_ratio=1.000

position=2

visible=1

no_luminous=1

ident=7000

zorder=5

alpha_blend=0.9

gauge00=MFDA20_GUI!ICNS-MAIN, 0, 0, 250, 1000

[Window04]

Background_color=0,0,0

size_mm=400, 110

position=6

visible=0

ident=10119

type=SPECIAL

gauge01=AP_KAT!HSI, 0, 0,100,100

gauge02=AP_KAT!INFO, 100, 0,300, 25

gauge03=Bendix_King_Radio!Bendix-King Radio AP, 100, 25,300, 75

[Window20]

panel file continue..

etc ect.....

--------------------------------------

nothing more to change

SAVE

now restart FSX and enjoy your autopilot

Shift 5 will bring up the GPS then for you.

the reason I used window04 is because some has already added the GPS as window03

It does not matter if you do not have a window03.

NOTE: When you want to put on AP Heading hold, make sure you have first set the "heading" to about the same direction you are flying too, because just hiting HDG might result in sudden huge direction change... as heading could be set to be behind you..

here is how I added the default Autopilot to the katana

Thanks for your efforts and sharing the information! I just want to mention that adding an autopilot or chaning the panel.cfg and aircraft.cfg could cause problems with further updates and will not be supported. So please keep that in mind and the original files somewhere. ;)

Autopilot... boo hiss!

:lol:

:lolsign_s:

agree this plane need to be flown by hand.. but I notice there were so many requests that I decided to show them how to do it..

me personally, I like to do the flying myself, but then again sometimes someone need a toilet break.. etc etc..

:cool3_s:

Nice job, bliksempie (as usual ;) ). I won't be using it either (not yet anyway), but I am sure a lot of people will appreciate this!

About what Marcel said: I think the best thing to do is to backup the original aircraft.cfg and panel.cfg (obviously) and whenever there is an update to the Katana (whatever update it is), delete both edited cfg's (yes, delete them completely!), restore the original cfg's, install the update and then change/add the lines to those original cfg's (which might have been changed by the update) again as mentioned in the OP. So do NOT restore the previously edited cfg's back in place after an update!!! (Also 'obviously', but you never know... ;) )

I think that when you do it like this, you will not get into any problems with future updates because this addition of the AP the the panel is completely harmless, so to speak.

P.S. I just downloaded the file anyway... :P You never know when it might come in handy... -_-

Rather than faffing about with all that palaver and possibly creating a problem later on with updates or patches, limit the changes to the aircraft .cfg to

autopilot_available=1

and use the default FSX key combinations for heading hold and altitude hold.

More than adequate for a comfort break and unlikely to cause a conflict.

Rather than faffing about with all that palaver and possibly creating a problem later on with updates or patches, limit the changes to the aircraft .cfg to

autopilot_available=1

and use the default FSX key combinations for heading hold and altitude hold.

More than adequate for a comfort break and unlikely to cause a conflict.

a conflict of what ?

:funkychick_s:

A conflict with subsequent modifications, changes or alterations inserted by the developer as a result of patches, bugfixes or download.

...exactly as Marcel said.

A conflict with subsequent modifications, changes or alterations inserted by the developer as a result of patches, bugfixes or download.

...exactly as Marcel said.

:excellenttext_s:

See post 1 for alternative very simple HSI also added..!

also see the "type=special" added that will keep the AP on the screen regardless what view you select.

Nice job, bliksempie (as usual ;) ). I won't be using it either (not yet anyway), but I am sure a lot of people will appreciate this!

About what Marcel said: I think the best thing to do is to backup the original aircraft.cfg and panel.cfg (obviously) and whenever there is an update to the Katana (whatever update it is), delete both edited cfg's (yes, delete them completely!), restore the original cfg's, install the update and then change/add the lines to those original cfg's (which might have been changed by the update) again as mentioned in the OP. So do NOT restore the previously edited cfg's back in place after an update!!! (Also 'obviously', but you never know... ;) )

I think that when you do it like this, you will not get into any problems with future updates because this addition of the AP the the panel is completely harmless, so to speak.

P.S. I just downloaded the file anyway... :P You never know when it might come in handy... -_-

Yes, very important. Only re-add those lines, please do not use previously edited config files!

Yes, very important. Only re-add those lines, please do not use previously edited config files!

absolutely.. if you want to add on AP afterwards it will mean that you will have to do the extra work as indicated by JvanE to ensure proper working of everything. I think everybody should agree to that and to the fact that adding an AP or for that matter change any file, should not ask for any support to such edited files..

So use if you want to but beware of the consequences.