Pronounced nose down attitude at level flight normal?

Jigsaw

Hello.

I just took this baby for its maiden flight and there's one thing that I noticed right away: at level flight by altimeter (not VSI) at 1,000 feet the nose points downward in such a way that it almost seems implausible, considering the orientation of the wings and horizontal stabilizers in the airflow. Is that normal or do I observe some problem? Just wanting to know to ease my mind, because if feels and looks a bit weird and I keep getting the urge to pull back on the stick. ;)

nosedown.jpg

I have no doubt that Joachim modelled the behaviour correctly, but Jigsaw may describe the same thing I've experienced when flying her the first few times. The impression needs some time to get used too since the takeoff alone (first) felt like overturning.

But after a while the normal feeling establishes.

I think my viewpoint with EZCA and TrackIR was a bit too high as well. Now that I've lowered it according to the pilot model from the external view (eyeline below the compass and about level with the middle of the GPS antenna) it feels more natural in the cockpit.

So you did not wait for your bill then Patrick, just a sod it and buy it in the end biggrin.gif

I talked about this on the Orbx forums. Tweaking POV sorts it but its all part of the uniqueness of this plane smile.gif

Do you like it Patrick?

So you did not wait for your bill then Patrick, just a sod it and buy it in the end biggrin.gif

I did wait. It came through today and BAM! Bought it right away. ;)

Do you like it Patrick?

Yup! A lot. I love that lawnmower engine sound. :lol:

Switching off the engine 5 miles from the airport at 2,000 feet and gliding in for the landing is a strange but cool experience.

Switching off the engine 5 miles from the airport at 2,000 feet and gliding in for the landing is a strange but cool experience.

Got to try that biggrin.gif

Got to try that biggrin.gif

Even better: try switching off the engine over the Cape Jervis lighthouse at 3,000 feet and glide the 10nm to the Cuttlefish Bay airstrip on Kangaroo Island, across the Backstairs Passage. OZx airfields required.

I juuust made it, almost hitting the fence before touching down. :lol:

Hery guys. The AoA is correct. The Dimona flies staright and level almost like a helicopter, Ass up! Look at the wings airfoil, it looks like a normal airfoild with built in flap :D And High lift profile, this is why the AoA has to be that low. In fact it even looks negative.

And please don't "correct" the eyepoint. It is EXACTLY right in the cockpit. I tweaked it to the right position. It is normal that you can see the ground in front off your feet in the Dimona. Get used to it and you'll love it, because it gets you a wonderful view!

Best regards, Joachim

Hery guys. The AoA is correct. The Dimona flies staright and level almost like a helicopter, Ass up! Look at the wings airfoil, it looks like a normal airfoild with built in flap :D And High lift profile, this is why the AoA has to be that low. In fact it even looks negative.

Thanks for the info

And please don't "correct" the eyepoint. It is EXACTLY right in the cockpit. I tweaked it to the right position. It is normal that you can see the ground in front off your feet in the Dimona. Get used to it and you'll love it, because it gets you a wonderful view!

I had to adjust the viewpoint, because EZdok Camera shifted it when I created the camera for the pilot. This is my corrected view at level flight and it matches the position of the pilot's eyes in the external model. Please let me know if that isn't right:

eyeline.jpg

no it isn't. You must see the cowling. I don't think EZ Doc messes up the viewpoint. I only think you are not used to it. Please post a screen with the default viewpoint, that I can tell you if this one is correct.

Best regards, Joachim

Okay, I removed the EZdok view and this should be the default viewpoint. Is it?

defaultaf.jpg

I noticed that it is offset to the right, the stick being located quite a bit to the left instead of sitting in the middle. Do you lean over like that in the real aircraft, because of the canopy?

defaultoffset.jpg

Just to illustrate my reasoning behind myy previous viewpoint change:

eyeline2.jpg

Okay, I removed the EZdok view and this should be the default viewpoint. Is it?

Looks good!

I noticed that it is offset to the right, the stick being located quite a bit to the left instead of sitting in the middle. Do you lean over like that in the real aircraft, because of the canopy?

You actually sit a bit out of the center in the real plane. The cockpit isn't very roomy.

Just to illustrate my reasoning behind myy previous viewpoint change:

Yes, Karl Otto is more to have someone in the cockpit but is not 100% correct in his eyepoint position. So don't take him as reference.

I fly the Diamond Super Dimona HK36TC in real life, and remember the first time I leveled off in it. I had the constant thought of "going down" due to the viewpoint being so different when flying straight and level then when on the ground. Very good simulation, I'm sooooo happy there finally is a good TMG in FSX, being a TMG pilot myself. Now, about the Diamond Super Dimona in FSX, now essentially being a combination between the Katana and the Hofman Dimona.... rolleyes.gif