Key-Mapping for Spoiler

Avio

I've purchased the Discus X before and am now interested to consider buying this one.

Question One -- as I'm using only a normal joystick with only one slider for the throttle, I understand I would then need to assign a key to the spoiler. But that function only has ON / OFF command and no intermmediate settings. Will this "spoil" the experience when coming in to land, when precise control of the spoiler is needed just like in the Discus?

Question Two -- What is the best glide speed as well as the best glide descent rate in fpm (with prop stopped) ?

Thanks.

I've purchased the Discus X before and am now interested to consider buying this one.

Question One -- as I'm using only a normal joystick with only one slider for the throttle, I understand I would then need to assign a key to the spoiler. But that function only has ON / OFF command and no intermmediate settings. Will this "spoil" the experience when coming in to land, when precise control of the spoiler is needed just like in the Discus?

As far as I'm aware in FSX F1 to F4 keys are for throttle, therefore, I change the joystick throttle to spoiler. Takes a few seconds and use those for throttle.

Question Two -- What is the best glide speed as well as the best glide descent rate in fpm (with prop stopped) ?

Thanks.

I tend to get 45 to 55 knots and 400 to 600 fpm.

Thanks, James. I actually went ahead to buy this even before I saw your reply !

And I permanently swopped the joystick throttle for the spoiler, and use just the keys for throttle control. Works great for me.

As for Best Glide, I am seeing about 75 km/hr and 100+ fpm descent only! Is this too good to be true ??

I use the normal setting for the Dimona, (the spoilers are not that important as in the Discus) Throttle on joystick, spoilers on keybord (on off)

Best glidespeed is around 100-110 kph (LD 26-27)

Best regards, Joachim

Thanks, James. I actually went ahead to buy this even before I saw your reply !

And I permanently swopped the joystick throttle for the spoiler, and use just the keys for throttle control. Works great for me.

As for Best Glide, I am seeing about 75 km/hr and 100+ fpm descent only! Is this too good to be true ??

With my settings and beta testing I used to either hammer it on acute glide paths etcetera to see what breaks or just sit back and let it do it's own thing, hence, my figures. You could fall asleep at times :D

One approach technique seems to work quite fine is to leave the throttle at about 35%, and control the speed / descent with the airbrake on short final.

thats definitely the wrong methode :D

There are 2 apprach possibillities:

1st: motor plane like, That means approach speed 130kph. 3° glidepath (ride the papi) and at the very end cutt the trottle, extend the spoiler and touch down the plane.

2bd: glider like, That means a pretty high approach with closed throttle using the airbrakes to controll the glide path.

I recommend the 1st methode, because it is faster and better for surrounding traffic. (And at least in FSX easier to handle)

Best regards, Joachim

Thanks Joachim.

Actually I meant using 35% throttle then cut to idle using F1 key just prior to final descent to touchdown. Thus using 35% for powering plane, and airbrake adjustment for controlling glideslope (which seems to give good response).

One question -- the manual says NOT to extend spoiler fully when touching down. This is quite puzzling. Why is this so?

You can extend them fully in FSX. It doesn't matter. But in reall life the wheel brake is linked to the spoiler lever, so if they're fully extended, you'll land with wheelbrakes on, wich isn't that good.

Best regards, Joachim

You can extend them fully in FSX. It doesn't matter. But in reall life the wheel brake is linked to the spoiler lever, so if they're fully extended, you'll land with wheelbrakes on, wich isn't that good.

Best regards, Joachim

Because of that, I use airbrake on keyboard, then setting it back to 90% with my mouse in the VC. Glidepath manipulation after that via throttle and you're done.

• Aerosoft

Thanks.

If you have a stick like the Saitek X52 you can use one of the additional sliders for the spoiler. Just make sure you do the checklists and not be an idiot like me and try to take-off with them fully extended,

and not be an idiot like me and try to take-off with them fully extended,

Do what I once did and try landing :lol: Ain't nice watching sparks fly and it also scratches the canopy :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

If you have a registered version of FSUIPC you can assign two buttons to act like an axis, firstly open FSUIP and click on "Buttons + Switches" then click on the button you want for "spoilers increase", tick the box for "select for FS control" and search for "spoilers increase" once you have set that tick the box below for "control to repeat while held" and then confirm it with "OK". Repeat the same with your chosen button for "spoilers decrease". You will find that the buttons work as good as any axis, I also use this for trimming.

• 3 weeks later...

The problem is, that there is no spoilers in in the checklist, because they are spring loaded and can't be forgotten. (But in FSX they can)

As I posted in another thread for CH Eclipse yoke users, I have mapped the spoilers to the spring-loaded 'paddle' axis, controlled with my left thumb. This means you can't leave them open by mistake! Of course, you could also plug in another joystick and map its pitch axis (say) to the spoilers and get the same effect. You do need to do a bit of fiddling in the calibration dialog to make sure you only use half the axis (eg. centre to fully back).