Gen light flickering

Had a really great flight tonight, but noticed an odd issue I haven't seen over my first 5 hours of flying the Katana. Throughout the flight the gen light would periodically flicker for a few seconds then go out. Then flicker again a couple minutes later, then go out again. Did this throughout the flight although not really causing any other noticeable problems. Any thoughts on what was causing that?

• Upvote 1

Had a really great flight tonight, but noticed an odd issue I haven't seen over my first 5 hours of flying the Katana. Throughout the flight the gen light would periodically flicker for a few seconds then go out. Then flicker again a couple minutes later, then go out again. Did this throughout the flight although not really causing any other noticeable problems. Any thoughts on what was causing that?

This is not a problem with the sim. It rather look like there is a problem with your generator. Have you tried the service/maintenance to see if there is something wrong to be fixed..

I run the inspection for both service and workshop before each flight and that reveals no problems. I notice this problem from the VC, although admittedly I did not check the external view to see if it shows there as well.

During the gen light flickering it looked like the volts needle bounced a bit with it, but I never lost power.

Did you have all the lights on at a low power setting? If so, this might be the cause.

Otherwise I'd suspect an impending fault and it will soon be time to change the generator (well, alternator as the Rotax is not equipped with a generator as standard but if Diamond want to call it a `generator`, who are we to argue..?)

I had that once, just a short while after I got the Katana. At one time something went wrong somewhere during the startup sequence (I think the engine simply didn't want to start) and I tried to start anyway a few times in a row, without waiting in between. I forgot what happened, really, but I do know that after trying to start way too often in a row I managed to start anyway (maybe I simply had the fuel valve closed) and I took of without thinking about the consequences all that starting might have... During that entire (short) flight the gen light flickered just as you described.

After landing I did a check and nothing showed up but during the next flight all was well again. I guess all my starting somehow took too much energy or battery or whatever, and the system was barely able to keep things working...? I am sure it's a simulated thing and not a bug or something.

I did have all lights on during takeoff, but landing and taxi were quickly extinguished after. The flickering occurred for the duration of the flight and MP was fairly consistent at around 25 except for periods where altitude prevented it. I may just replace it before my next leg as a preventative measure. I do love the fidelity of this plane!

I had the exact same thing on a very early flight..... I just can't remember how I solved the problem. I DO remember I had done something strange during the preflight....(perhaps pulling the prop backwards....????) Anyway....I went through the service etc., etc., ...replaced anything electrical and that still didn't solve the problem. I now can't remember if I reset the counter or just exit'd the sim and started again.....but everything has been working like a champ although I'm only at about 35hrs of flight time. Still a young bird. (smile)

Cheers,

Still having this problem, although again, it still seems to be providing power just fine. After my last landing I replaced the generator and it is still flickering on and off. Any other thoughts?

Had this too. When the light flickered, the voltage also dropped. Immediately after landing I did a repair on the generator, now it works again like new.

My last flight I started everything the same except I moved the prop pitch full forward before starting, and for some reason did not see this issue. Weird. I did however lose an engine to what I assume was icing as I'm afraid to touch the carb heat anymore. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Was hoping Marcel might pop in for a comment, but he must be too busy preparing the service pack. :lol:

• 1 year later...

I do have this problem, aircraft hours brans new (hours = 0.0) and engine 1000 rpm started (pump=ON, avionic=OFF, lights all OFF, master gen=ON). Voltage gauge flickers from 14 to 12 volts and amp gauge from 20 or so to -4 amps when gen bugs off. I would like to know if the developpers had put some random problem even with brand new crafts to simulate real life katana weakness ? That might explain the issue so I just have to change the generator/alternator.

Cheers,

Luc

My last flight I started everything the same except I moved the prop pitch full forward before starting, and for some reason did not see this issue. Weird. I did however lose an engine to what I assume was icing as I'm afraid to touch the carb heat anymore. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Was hoping Marcel might pop in for a comment, but he must be too busy preparing the service pack. laugh.gif

You're probably putting a lot of load on that starter if you normally start in anything other than full fine pitch. I too have had the flickering gen light. A repair in the mx mode fixed it for me no problem. As this is a VFR only airplane, you can probably get away with flying it to failure though. If it fails completely, you should have enough battery to make a couple of radio calls and land at a suitable field for repair.