DA20-Katana Problem

I sure would appreciate any suggestions to solve my only problem w/the DA2-100. I otherwise love this little gem.

When flying in cruise under very normal circumstances She suddenly starts to climb. the stick shakes and

it dives and spins out of control.None of my other aircraft do this only the diamond model. I have switched controllers

with no luck.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Frank

Hello Frank,

I have never seen such a problem. Are you sure that your weather is fine and that there are no gusts which could cause this trouble?

How strong is the climb? Could it be that it gets in a stall because it looses to much speed in the climb? How fast are you when it starts spinning?

And BTW: This is the general forum, there's a sepatate section for the Katana. As it says in the title of this forum, you won't get support here.

This could be a setup or install problem but I agree with Emi that it's worth taking the weather into account. In my still-brief experience with the Katana, I've found that it has a much more violent response to gusts than any of my other FSX light aircraft. Flying with Orbx Weather Theme 5, all the way through the flight, the Katana's nose gave a constant, sharp counterclockwise rotation - sort of half a dutch roll (it was only the left half of the figure eight, not a full dutch roll). It was so pronounced that right after takeoff, I came around and landed to make sure I didn't have a bent propeller shaft or something similar (I didn't). I had to fight for control throughout the flight. Using the same theme with the A2A Cub, all I saw was an occasional light roll and a gust-related variation in airspeed. I'm not a pilot IRL, so I don't know if this performance in gusts is characteristic of the real Katana, but looking at the big low wing, I think it might be. Maybe some of our real-world Katana pilots can let us know.

I'd suggest trying the Katana in clear weather or in other weather conditions (interestingly, I'm usually fine using real weather through ASE) to see if the problem recurrs.

Hope this helps.

This could be a setup or install problem but I agree with Emi that it's worth taking the weather into account. In my still-brief experience with the Katana, I've found that it has a much more violent response to gusts than any of my other FSX light aircraft. Flying with Orbx Weather Theme 5, all the way through the flight, the Katana's nose gave a constant, sharp counterclockwise rotation - sort of half a dutch roll (it was only the left half of the figure eight, not a full dutch roll). It was so pronounced that right after takeoff, I came around and landed to make sure I didn't have a bent propeller shaft or something similar (I didn't). I had to fight for control throughout the flight. Using the same theme with the A2A Cub, all I saw was an occasional light roll and a gust-related variation in airspeed. I'm not a pilot IRL, so I don't know if this performance in gusts is characteristic of the real Katana, but looking at the big low wing, I think it might be. Maybe some of our real-world Katana pilots can let us know.

I'd suggest trying the Katana in clear weather or in other weather conditions (interestingly, I'm usually fine using real weather through ASE) to see if the problem recurrs.

Hope this helps.

It is. Gust response with a stiff carbon-fibre construction and light wing-loading is always a recipe for `lively` response in windshear - I seem to remember reading about a crash involving a Katana which got flipped and smashed into the ground just from being to close to the jet wash of an MD-80 - not the most powerful of twinjets.

Likely cause in this case: Crossing a weather boundary where the adjacent weather has a digit in the wrong place or has a wide variation from the previous.

It is. Gust response with a stiff carbon-fibre construction and light wing-loading is always a recipe for `lively` response in windshear - I seem to remember reading about a crash involving a Katana which got flipped and smashed into the ground just from being to close to the jet wash of an MD-80 - not the most powerful of twinjets.

Likely cause in this case: Crossing a weather boundary where the adjacent weather has a digit in the wrong place or has a wide variation from the previous.

Please note due to the comments above regarding weather and wind gusts, I have flown clear weather without any wind and the condition contimues.

Frank

• Aerosoft

Please note due to the comments above regarding weather and wind gusts, I have flown clear weather without any wind and the condition contimues.

Frank

Frank, the flight model in this aircraft is 100% according to Microsoft SDK. There is no additional code interacting with it, unlike in other aircraft we sell. If you would exchange the .air and .cfg with the file of the default Cessna you would get the same effect. Although we sold a sh*tload of copies there are no similar reports. That means, obviously, we got no idea what causes it.

It also means we got to look for something that is on your system that is not on the thousands of other systems. Can we assume you use default joystick assignments and not are using any additional code (like FSUIPC) to link joysticks to FS?

Has the elevator been damaged?

This simulation is so accurate, it seems, that we have to visually inspect the model before engine startup! Just bringing up the Katana 4X preflight overlay might not be enough (?)

The walk around is, by the way, the one aspect of preflight this is required by regulations in the real world.

Frank, the flight model in this aircraft is 100% according to Microsoft SDK. There is no additional code interacting with it, unlike in other aircraft we sell. If you would exchange the .air and .cfg with the file of the default Cessna you would get the same effect. Although we sold a sh*tload of copies there are no similar reports. That means, obviously, we got no idea what causes it.

It also means we got to look for something that is on your system that is not on the thousands of other systems. Can we assume you use default joystick assignments and not are using any additional code (like FSUIPC) to link joysticks to FS?

Trial + Error + manual has solved my problem. Thanks.

Frank

Trial + Error + manual has solved my problem. Thanks.

Frank

What did the problem turn out to be? Can you share? Might be helpful to someone who runs into the same issue.