unusable aircraft

chav_34

posted earlyer in the form about the cht temps and got many suggestions and tryed them all, I have read the manuals over and over, checked all items as per check list, every thing is perfect, also reinstalled the software many times and reset the software using the utility tool provided,

BUT STILL I CAN ONLY MANAGE 0.9hrs I wish i gave my money away to a homeless man,(not trying to be rude) i know the the aerosoft team put a lot of effort in to this program, but it is just unusable, getting completly fed up with it now, and on the verge on asking for a refund, if that was possible.

at the end of the day i purchased this product because of the feature list, i mostly use A2A accusim products, but thought of trying something different, i would just rather have the aircraft in a usable state, and i fly i real life so this aircraft baffles me(light aircraft)

AND JUST TO KEEP THINGS SIMPLE I HAVE FSX-ACC NO WEATHER RUNNING

MS Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit SP2, Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.40GHz Kentsfield 65nm Technology, 4.0GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 332MHz (5-5-5-15), ATI Radeon HD 3870 X2 (Dell)

one extra thing is that in the service menu both the sae20-40 boxes are always red though the oil is fine, i have sat for over an hour changing the oil and filter to no avail, even tryed manually, they still remain red

one extra thing is that in the service menu both the sae20-40 boxes are always red though the oil is fine, i have sat for over an hour changing the oil and filter to no avail, even tryed manually, they still remain red

Persistent damage modelling can be a bitch. Change the engine. It should not take `over an hour` to change oil and filter - 2-3 minutes mebbe. This begs the question, what else have you got going on in your specific system?

And why did you not simply reply to the previous topic? Did you even bother to try the suggestions that were made? If so, why are we having to suggest them again?

Are you loading the sim in Admin mode per previous advice in the forum? If not, then that might explain why you can't fix what is so obviously broken - red means `change`, amber means `fix.` If you can't change then obviously you are going to continue to have the same problem.

The warning always gets activated on both oil sorts and is about a too high lead level in the oil filter, residues in the oil filter or a low oil level.

Snave top line of my post said, quote( got many suggestions and tryed them all )

you ask if i was loading in admin mode yes, UAC off, And if you had bothered to read my post correctly i said changing the oil and filter meaning more than once,

and yes i changed the engine several times and i also said i reinstalled the a/c and reset with the utility tool which should have resolved the problem

red means `change`, amber means `fix sorry i was only born yesterday did not know that,

if you don't have some thing usefull to say don't post

and i'm not a child so don;t talk to me as if i am one.

regard to replying to the previous post i just wanted to highlight the problem

I have this issue too, but not quite within the same time frame, generally after 1.5 hrs cht starts to rise and hits the top of the scale then the engine quits, after about 10 minutes.

I have ensured that no baffles are installed, be default they are not, but i added and then removed them. I have replaced the engine, changed the oil checked everything. The plane is fine right up until the 1.5 hr of flying then the same happens.

I believe there is something about it in the german support forums. Something with the carb heat and high throttle..

I have it too, i think it is too easy to trigger such temperatures, you should be able to run 25 MP at 2200 RPM right?

Today I flew in cold weather, and flying without carb heat was impossible ( in the -in position engine goes back to idle in 2 seconds, and nooo, it was 32 km visibility, no clouds or rain at all, just -3 degrees celcius), and within the hour the engine went hot and even carb heat in did not help anymore.

But I'm doing some more testing on this.

Something with the carb heat and high throttle..

Makes sense i have been flying in the Blackpool area, temp around 8c. I switched on carb heat on the ground due to the temp. I didn't even get 1hr, just managed to land when the engine died due to high CHT again. I had the prop set at 2000rpm and 25MP.

Thanks

Makes sense i have been flying in the Blackpool area, temp around 8c. I switched on carb heat on the ground due to the temp. I didn't even get 1hr, just managed to land when the engine died due to high CHT again. I had the prop set at 2000rpm and 25MP.

Thanks

Again, as I have posted before, you ONLY use Carb Heat when REQUIRED by a drop in RPM and MP. If you don't need it, then don't use it. You do NOT turn it on just because the temperature drops. 25" is waaaaay above the power setting where you should use - or need to use - carb heat anyway, except in the most extreme of climates.

Again, as I have posted before, you ONLY use Carb Heat when REQUIRED by a drop in RPM and MP. If you don't need it, then don't use it. You do NOT turn it on just because the temperature drops. 25" is waaaaay above the power setting where you should use - or need to use - carb heat anyway, except in the most extreme of climates.

So sorry i didn't read the post you have indicated.

No the engine RPM will still drop at 25 with carb icing, even in the UK set for last Monday when the temp was about 8c accoring to the aircraft

I thank you for your somewhat abrupt comment and help within, i will attempt a two hour flight, set in the afternoon and not use carb heating until the rpm starts dropping as indicated

Thanks

Ian

Abrupt because there is already an existing topic where this matter is discussed, dissected, debated and resolved. Your contribution to it would be better placed alongside the existing in-depth subject, which would also indicate that you had read it.

So sorry i didn't read the post you have indicated.

No the engine RPM will still drop at 25 with carb icing, even in the UK set for last Monday when the temp was about 8c accoring to the aircraft

I thank you for your somewhat abrupt comment and help within, i will attempt a two hour flight, set in the afternoon and not use carb heating until the rpm starts dropping as indicated

Thanks

Ian

Read the post under post called "Losing MP then engine quits"

see my entry number 11

It seem to me that you dont use carb heat at all even on ground in very cold conditions. Only allowed to use carb in flight when

1) loosing MP without adjusting throtlle

2) pull back throttle to land and MP go below 20MP.

maybe it is a rotax engine thing.

I have always been told in cold conditions. "always use carb heat on at takeoff and crab heat on at when you intend land and you pull back throttle so that MP goes below 20"

Well it seem to not work that way with the Rotax engine.

I also did what you did and engines never last past 1 hour. From the moment I ignore carbheat I have much longer lasting engine. (current engine is 2 hours and still seem to be going well)

NOTE: My comment to not using carb heat is soley based to extend this simulation engine life. In RL carb heat definitely does not have this detrimental effect

Last Flight I only got the engine running more than idle by using the carb heat, during takeoff also, because otherwise, BANG engine running 600 rpm.

Still I think the engine damages way too fast by this wrong carb heat usage. You don't hear about this every single day in real do you?

It's ok of course that the engine damages because of high CHT, that's normal, but why is it persistent in the tendency to produce high CHTs after one time seeing the trend of developing a high CHT even if you shut down the engine before it ever redlines.

Abrupt because there is already an existing topic where this matter is discussed, dissected, debated and resolved. Your contribution to it would be better placed alongside the existing in-depth subject, which would also indicate that you had read it.

Sigh...your information was both useful and correct, had i noticed said topic i would have indeed read it, digested it and resolved my problem. It would have been preferable too interaction with people who have the answer but unfortunately seem unable to phrase it in such a way as would be deemed polite face to face.

In any case your answer has resolved the failing engine within 1hr, so i owe you my thanks. Thank you.

Read the post under post called "Losing MP then engine quits"

Thank you i will look at this post, switching off the carb heat did indeed resolve the ever failing engine.

Still I think the engine damages way too fast by this wrong carb heat usage. You don't hear about this every single day in real do you?

It's ok of course that the engine damages because of high CHT, that's normal, but why is it persistent in the tendency to produce high CHTs after one time seeing the trend of developing a high CHT even if you shut down the engine before it ever redlines.

Yes this was the tendency i noticed as well. If you switch the carb heat on (when the MP starts dropping, over the engine starts quitting) the engine springs to life but you then have about 30 minutes before the engine fails. Even if the carb heat is later switched off it makes no noticiable difference, CHT continues to climb.

Thank you for your help Janus92

Last Flight I only got the engine running more than idle by using the carb heat, during takeoff also, because otherwise, BANG engine running 600 rpm.

Then my guess would be that there was something else wrong with the engine - did you allow sufficient warm-up time at idle? Check the oil pressure and level? Filter? Have the right oil for the conditions? Coolant level? Changed from Avgas to Mogas? Fuel switched on? Fuel Pump on?

There is no carb icing effect at idle in FSX because to do so would be too difficult to discriminate between a barely-running engine and one switched off.

FSX just isn't complex enough in its derivation of the causes and effects of carb icing, nor its symptoms. You have something else causing the problem.

Then my guess would be that there was something else wrong with the engine - did you allow sufficient warm-up time at idle? Check the oil pressure and level? Filter? Have the right oil for the conditions? Coolant level? Changed from Avgas to Mogas? Fuel switched on? Fuel Pump on?

There is no carb icing effect at idle in FSX because to do so would be too difficult to discriminate between a barely-running engine and one switched off.

FSX just isn't complex enough in its derivation of the causes and effects of carb icing, nor its symptoms. You have something else causing the problem.

Yes I checked all the above, but what are you saying about changing the fuel?? What would that do for your engine?

Hmm, I think you're right. That made me think. I now think the icing was caused by a program called 'Open Clouds', a quite good program though or maybe by fsuipc settings. It was very heavy carb icing I can say, nothing fsx, indeed, would be able to do in these clear conditions.

Thanks!

About the CHT, not using the carb heat except for the above mentioned situations fixed it for me also! Seems like the Carb heat damages the engine before the CHT redlines, causing a tendency to reach higher than normal CHTs after starting the engine the next time.

I might be so very wrong though, and I would like to hear your opinion on it if you have one!

But I would like to see the hidden linkage between the carb heat and the CHT to be reconsidered (not the right word, but I mean: to look at it) and changed to a, i think more realistic, little bit milder influence (or whatever solution you guys can think of) for the service pack, if of course you agree with me that it seems a bit unrealistic this way, and it can be remedied!;)

Keep up the good work!^_^

Janus

did you allow sufficient warm-up time at idle?

On a side-note: I usually fire up the engine and take off ASAP... (well, after doing all checks and maintaines of course). I never wait until the engine is warmed up. Oil temp is usually very low when I take off... Bad habit, I know, blush.gif but... it never resulted in any problems. Is that because I almost always fly in nice weather on June 20th...? I suppose doing it like this in midwinter will getme into problems sooner? Or not?

Maybe it's time for me to step out of the comfort zone and start using some real weather... or at least different weather. I suppose that will make things more exciting and less unpredictable, which is nice with the Katana! happy.gif

...snip snip

About the CHT, not using the carb heat except for the above mentioned situations fixed it for me also! Seems like the Carb heat damages the engine before the CHT redlines, causing a tendency to reach higher than normal CHTs after starting the engine the next time.

I might be so very wrong though, and I would like to hear your opinion on it if you have one!

But I would like to see the hidden linkage between the carb heat and the CHT to be reconsidered (not the right word, but I mean: to look at it) and changed to a, i think more realistic, little bit milder influence (or whatever solution you guys can think of) for the service pack, if of course you agree with me that it seems a bit unrealistic this way, and it can be remedied!;)

Keep up the good work!^_^

Janus

That is how I also feel. When the odd occasion ask for carb heat damages the engine way tooo much. Whenever I have used carb heat in this simulation gaurantee the engine need replacement withing 1.5 hours after carb heat has been used.

So +1 to see the linkage between carb heat and CHT to be reconsidered. It is way tooo excessive... As somelese said you can fly rotax into red and get home and there is NO neeed to replace engine. yes damage accrue but not at the rate as in the simulation

Simon

I for one have used the "reset" utility to ensure plane is 100% before tests... definate huge impact the moment you use Carb heat for any matter during a flight. You will have to replace engine with 1.5 hours after you started using carb heat - gauranteed. tested numerous times and everytime from a "Reset" plane.

As long as I dont use Carb heat, I have not problem. So currently I only fly sunny days

I can report now that I have reached 9.3 hours on the engine before it started going to the redline on descent to an airport, using bliksimpies rules..

But I did see a huge rise in cruise CHT over those hours, I started on a cruise with little over 180 F CHT and ended at 240 F CHT in cruise on the last flight. All flights were done on 7500 feet with OAT between -6 and +5C.

Slowly (but still way too fast) Engine health decreases with usage of the carb heat. I did get some icing now on fsx real world weather due to some rain, not much rain, but it still makes climbing very hard on 19.5 MAP (20 MAP being the line drawn by bliksimpie/the manual?)

Janus

Slowly (but still way too fast) Engine health decreases with usage of the carb heat. I did get some icing now on fsx real world weather due to some rain, not much rain, but it still makes climbing very hard on 19.5 MAP (20 MAP being the line drawn by bliksimpie/the manual?)

Janus

Yes, i have also observed similar results. Using the information imparted by, i think it was Simon; i no longer get less than 1 hr in the air. It would appear that the Carb heat switch may as well be labelled the 'self destruct' mode switch.

I have also observed that switching the carb heat off once it has been switched on, does not appear to have any impact on the wear, it still continues on into the red and kills the engine, generally within about 40 minutes.

At the moment we are having good weather in the UK, so i am getting no or very little icing. I have seen carb icing in this aircraft at 8c 2000rpm and 25mp.

I will have a look into the code but the carb heat can only harm the engine indirect with too high temperatures. What causes real pain is leaving the choke lever pulled while the engine is running and warmed up...

Thanks Marcel!

For your information, I have done all my tests after a reset before each flight, ran it from the default startup flight, checked everything according to the manual before taking off.

It seems more like some fsx problem

I am going to try to untick the 'engine stress damages engine' in the realism, as I found that one ticked. And after getting the problem I will shut the engine down again before it damages because of heat, shut down fsx and take a look at the data.cfg.

Janus

After 2.5 hours (about 45 minutes use of carb heat during which I saw CHT rise from 185 to 240 F, and then carb heat in, after which the rise stopped) I have these which have changed a lot

CONDITION_ENGINE=59.891269

CONDITION_FINGER_FILTER=76.487359

The rest of the conditions is between the 98 and 100 percent of its original state.