Seven Continents Expedition

Hi all,

Partly inspired by the Andras Field RTWC I started my own Bush Pilot: Seven Continents Expedition.

You can follow my progress here.

Sounds like a WONDERFUL idea. Please post some more info - perhaps a routeplan? How long are you thinking of using? How many legs?

@Ole,

All information is available at my website.

For now I completed two legs. Just to get from Andras Field to the East coast of Africa will take 18 flights.

The total number of flights is not yet determined.

I am pretty sure that this will be a huge project that will easily take more than a year to complete. I fly to all the continents in the Carenado Cessna C185F, not the fastest of airplanes!

@Maddz and others: Thanks! I will periodically post my progress here to inform those who do not follow events at my site.

@Otto: WOW! in an ultralight. That is even worse than in a Cessna LOL! Respect to you and the Indian pilots for pulling it off!

@Manuel: The longest leg is from Gorna Oryahovitsa to Antalya with 441 nm. If the Cessna can handle that it should be able to handle the flights over the Med.

Just to be sure I will fly the amphibian for those flights and I don't take passengers or cargo but load the cargo bay with extra fuel, just in case!

All,

I ask visitors at my site to give comments and feedback on my expedition in these forums.

I hope no-one minds..

Well you have all green from the board... Thats for sure. Traffic one way, often means traffic the other way too wink.gif

Kasper,

all the best luck with your journey! So far looking good!

Btw any details about the crash at the end of the second leg? Sounds like it was only a glitch of some kind. Luckily no major harm done.

I'll follow your progress with great interest. And it seems it will last for quite some time, you have huge distance to cover… blink.gif

+ Ari

Hi Ari,

Alas, I am not sure what happened on flight two.

It can be that I used the brakes too forcefully, but then I would expect the plane to have some damage.

It can also be a glitch which would explain the fact that there was no damage to either plane, passengers or pilot. The safest approach is to assume my braking was at fault so I pay extra attention to my braking now.

Your flight across Africa was the inspiration to document this expedition online: it is nice to have you follow my expedition.

Flying in a slow airplane across all continents and having to wait for the right weather now and then will indeed make for a lenghty journey. I expect to take up to two years!

Kasper,

I'm happy that you got inspiration for documenting the journey from me. Inevitably, for such a long journey, there will be times you may feel making the flight notes as a burden, but it will pay off to document your progress for everyone to enjoy. If for nothing else but to remind yourself how far you have come (let's say, after a year when you are halfway through :wacko: ). And definetely it will be interesting for others to read how it went with the flights (nicely dealt with the carburetor btw).

I'm sure weather will be an issue along the jouney. I've never thought of clouds and visibility that much when planning the route on map, and it always surprises me how easily visibility can be ruined by a thick and low cloud layer. Will you be flying strictly VFR? If so, it may make the jouney much more difficult (getting around or below the weather).

+ Ari

Ari,

I really enjoyed following your trip around Africa and figured maybe somebody will enjoy reading about my journey. Since I already planned to document the trip for myself getting it online was the logical next step.

I like your writing better than mine however :D

I will not strictly be flying VFR but since the Cessna can't handle icing conditions I have to be very carefull in my flight planning.

To be honest if I had realized the impact of the plane's inability to handle even light icing conditions I would have chosen either the Beaver or the Bush Hawk XP for this trip!

But then again this is just something that makes the trip more interesting and I will now fly VFR for most of the time.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, after some interesting flights I finished my flying in Switzerland and have now arrived in Italy. This was the longest flight up to now but the next flight to Budapest will really put the little Cessna to the test.

I will let you know when I have survived that flight! ;)

• 4 weeks later...

So, any news? :huh:

Well, actually yes. I had my HD going bad on me! :angry: I have recently installed a new HD and have just finished installing all my software. Flight testing the system is ongoing. I expect to make the flight to Budapest tomorrow (16-6).

Thanks for the show of interest! B)

Well, actually yes. I had my HD going bad on me! :angry: I have recently installed a new HD and have just finished installing all my software.

Oh, that really sucks when it happens. But good that you're recovering and nothing gone bad with the journey.

Flight testing the system is ongoing. I expect to make the flight to Budapest tomorrow (16-6).

Looking forward to hearing from that! Good luck!

• 6 months later...