Fuel tutorial

tup61

Although everything is well explained in the manual, some people might be confused a bit by a few things (I know I was... :P ). And also the order of doing things as described in the manual is different than I'd do it... So... here's how I do it!

1. This is how the fuel screen looks when loaded. I left off the left side where you can change the price (what's the use...?) and see how much fuel you loaded (what's the use...? ^_^ )

7591_copy.jpg

2, First thing I'd do is drain the tank: that's step 3c from the walkaround check! Press and hold the little draining vent: if you see water (blue) appear in the bucket, keep on pressing until you see fuel appear (yellow). Stop as soon as you see fuel. If you see fuel right from the start, also stop immediatley (obviously).

7252.jpg

3. Next thing to do is to check the fuel quantity: that's step 3d from the walkaround check! No need in adding fuel is there is plenty in the tank... First you have to open the fuel tank cap. There are two clickspots to do this and both clickspots do the EXACT same!!! Here are the clickspots:

8573.jpg

4. And here's what you see when you clicked them: the tank is open. Again, both clickspots do the EXACT same and can be used for fueling and checking!

7834.jpg

5. Now check the amount of fuel by dipping the pipe into the tank: you do this by pressing the arrow (and not clicking on the pipe or whatever):

4135.jpg

6. Within a second you will see the amount of fuel in the pipe: you have to watch rather closely because the color is a bit dark. The fuel will drop out of the pipe quickly too.

8016.jpg

7. If you need to fuel, choose the type of fuel you want (I always keep the default choice) and drag the fuel nozzle from left to right into the tank filler neck:

5177.jpg

8. Press and hold this clickspot to refuel. It will automatically stop when the maximum capacity is reached. Remove the nozzle when done (simply drag left).

6278.jpg

9. Close the fuel tank cap by clicking on it: again, either of the two clickspots will do the trick!

3389.jpg

10. When things look again as they did in the beginning, you can take off and enjoy another flight with the magnificient Katana!

7591_copy.jpg

• Upvote 1

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I was about to tear my (sparse) hair out. I hadn't twigged the fuel dipstick. :blush: Also when doing the walkabout 'Drain tank' and 'Visually check fuel' are always highlighted, so I dutifully went and drained the tank. When I got a bucket of urine I did think it was odd. I made the assumption that if I was instructed to drain the tank it WOULD have water in it. :rolleyes: OK, that's that bit squared away at least. Oh wait! I just remembered. If I drained the tank (does it completely empty it?) I should have been able to fill it up with 20L shouldn't I? I couldn't get more than a litre. :unsure:

I have to say the Katana is a great little aeroplane and I applaud the philosophy of 'real' maintenance etc. netKar PRO (car racing sim) went down this road and it was hailed as a ground breaking innovation....for a while. But having to spend 20 minutes of a 30 minute race being repaired after a small shunt the novelty soon wore off. I wonder how many owners of the Katana will opt for the Simple mode.

I fully admit to being slow on the uptake but I found the manuals helpful but the interface...messy. I expect I'll get used to it though.

Now I'll just wait until Mr. Evans comes and kicks my head in! :D

I read the manual, honest.

Here I am!

8278290-couple-workout-on-ring-man-and-woman-fighters-in-sports-helmets-guy-kicking-girl-in-head-by-leg-and-.jpg

The trouble with all interfaces is that they don't necessarily represent other experiences in the sim. They represent THIS developers particular take on the genre.

On the one hand you have to ask "Why reinvent the wheel?". On the other, you have to say that for real world pilots, learning the idiosyncrasies of individual aircraft has absolutely nothing to do with previous experiences with other manufacturers. And why should it? Forward for up, backward for increase, the history of aviation is about non-standard and UNconventional. Why should there be a consensus..? instead there should be adaptation.

Isn't that 'adapting'? -_-

P.S. Beating up girls? Tsk tsk.

She didn't read the MANual... <_<

The fuel drain is a small beaker, not the entire tank contents. Water doesn't usually mix with Avgas (it can though, but we're getting ahead of ourselves...), so you see it clearly separated from the actual fuel in the beaker. If there is none, go fly. There's only a single drain in the Katana. There's up to five in bloody Cessna's.

BTW the location shown in the aircraft three-view in the settings menu is not the actual location. It's located at the bottom of the left side of the fuselage, under the tank location behind the seats and roughly in line with the fuel filler and accesses the fuel tank at the lowest point - water is heavier than fuel.

To drain the sump, one activates a spring loaded drain by pushing the brass tube in with a drain container. The brass tube protrudes about 30mm and can snag your fingers if you're not careful or don't have a proper pipette thingy to do the job with... like most Katana users we don't in the Katana 4X! :D:D

She didn't read the MANual... <_<

The fuel drain is a small beaker, not the entire tank contents. Water doesn't usually mix with Avgas (it can though, but we're getting ahead of ourselves...), so you see it clearly separated from the actual fuel in the beaker. If there is none, go fly. There's only a single drain in the Katana. There's up to five in bloody Cessna's.

BTW the location shown in the aircraft three-view in the settings menu is not the actual location. It's located at the bottom of the left side of the fuselage, under the tank location behind the seats and roughly in line with the fuel filler and accesses the fuel tank at the lowest point - water is heavier than fuel.

To drain the sump, one activates a spring loaded drain by pushing the brass tube in with a drain container. The brass tube protrudes about 30mm and can snag your fingers if you're not careful or don't have a proper pipette thingy to do the job with... like most Katana users we don't in the Katana 4X! :D:D

Informative AND nice! Not so hard eh? :D

I'm pretty sure I've come to terms with the ins 'n' outs of the Katana now. I always had an uncomfortable feeling I shouldn't be flying Turbine Dukes and L-39s et al. This little puppy has brought the 'sim' back into Flightsim. :beer3_s:

I know what you mean. In the same time you can go one fifth as fast, one quarter as far, use one third as much fuel and cavort around half as much sky, yet have twice the fun... That's the kind of maths I can relate to!:lol:

• 9 months later...