Avionics (mainly) Issue

Chris_327

Hi all

I've read other issues that people are having with avionics and electrics, and I'm pretty sure I'm experiencing something similar.

Basically a few minutes into a flight, I seem to have multiple system failures. The sequence starts with the GPS (fsx default, not the payware addon) going blank. It's not switched off, because the screen turns off when the unit is; it's like it's just crashed or something.

As soon as the GPS has gone, I lose the ability to contact ATC from the COM/NAV unit. It still functions as normal, i.e. I can alter it and ATC recognizes I've changed freqs, but for some reason I can't communicate.

My Aritifical Horizon and Directional Gyro also fail but seem to be getting some power, as pullng the circuit breakers has an effect.

Finally, the flaps stop working as well, the indicator lights still work, showing the position of the lever correctly, but there is no movement of the flaps themselves.

The first few circuits that I've done, I did without use of the GPS, and I didn't see any of these issues. It's since I've been using that they have occured; therefore I would assume that the GPS is somehow causing a problem. I don't know if this is an electrical problem, but if it helps, I'm getting an average of about 14V during flight.

I have applied the quickfix that Marcel has provided, but so far this has not solved the issue - is this just me being an idiot? It wouldn't surprise me to be honest!

My specs are: W7 64bit, i7 920, GTX460, 6Gb Ram

Cheers

Chris

Probably caused by battery depletion as a result of the default flight you are using.

Try creating a new flight with a default Cessna, then switch to the Katana. Does that fix it?

Hi Simon,

I've been loading with the default Cessna every time, but I've been turning off the engine and avionics on it, as this is the only way that I can get the Katana to load the cold and dark state (for some reason none of the presets seem to load). Maybe this contributes to the problem; I shall have a go at leaving the engine and avionics on when I have some time tonight.

Thanks for your help

• Aerosoft

Hi all

I've read other issues that people are having with avionics and electrics, and I'm pretty sure I'm experiencing something similar.

Basically a few minutes into a flight, I seem to have multiple system failures. The sequence starts with the GPS (fsx default, not the payware addon) going blank. It's not switched off, because the screen turns off when the unit is; it's like it's just crashed or something.

As soon as the GPS has gone, I lose the ability to contact ATC from the COM/NAV unit. It still functions as normal, i.e. I can alter it and ATC recognizes I've changed freqs, but for some reason I can't communicate.

My Aritifical Horizon and Directional Gyro also fail but seem to be getting some power, as pullng the circuit breakers has an effect.

Finally, the flaps stop working as well, the indicator lights still work, showing the position of the lever correctly, but there is no movement of the flaps themselves.

The first few circuits that I've done, I did without use of the GPS, and I didn't see any of these issues. It's since I've been using that they have occured; therefore I would assume that the GPS is somehow causing a problem. I don't know if this is an electrical problem, but if it helps, I'm getting an average of about 14V during flight.

I have applied the quickfix that Marcel has provided, but so far this has not solved the issue - is this just me being an idiot? It wouldn't surprise me to be honest!

My specs are: W7 64bit, i7 920, GTX460, 6Gb Ram

Cheers

Chris

Chris sure you are not an idiot, lol.

The 14 volts for sure indicates the generator is running, so the batteries should be charged. Sounds to me a file can not be reached and that could be caused by a rights issue. Could you try to run FSX as an administrator?

post-43-0-17240300-1303726548_thumb.jpg

Also check this: http://forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?/topic/44908-known-issues-faq/page__view__findpost__p__301652

It could be your problem is related to what Marcel has already fixed.

Hi Mathijs, I took your advice and re-installed the Katana with admin rights, and then launched FSX as an admin. So far the problem seems to be solved, so thanks! I'm so accustomed to seeing manuals say run as an admin that I just seem to miss it these days - because until now I've never had a problem with installing a product normally!

The only problem I have left now is the aircraft loading states, no matter what I do, the only states I can get are "taxi" which arises if I switch immediately from the default cessna, or "cold and dark", which I get if I turn off the engine and avionics in the cessna!

Cheers

Chris

That is ok: If the aircraft you used before the Katana or the default flight if you start FSX with the Katana had the engine running, you will get into the Taxi status. The Katana will not save the situation it has been the last time you used her in flight simulator but will try to recognize the situation in the second it has been loaded.

There will be new features on the status soon: link.

Just had the original issue happen again, I had run FSX as an administrator, and loaded the Katana from the default Cessna, after turning off the avionics and engine. Taxiied out to the runway, got half way through a circuit and the electrics quit again. I used the maintenance mode and changed the generator and the battery, but it hasn't helped. I'm now completely stumped; can't figure out why it's happening :unsure:.

The only thing I can think of is that occasionally I use the trike to check on modifications to airports that I do using ADE, I usually turn the engine off as it just annyos me lol, but occasionally it won't turn back on, and the electrics don't work. Whether this is connected I have no idea.

Edit: I have now also had this problem whilst the GPS is switched off, so it probably is not causing the issue.

Edit: Just read from the issues thread that this may have been fixed. Eagerly awaiting the SP!

Just had the original issue happen again, I had run FSX as an administrator, and loaded the Katana from the default Cessna, after turning off the avionics and engine. Taxiied out to the runway, got half way through a circuit and the electrics quit again. I used the maintenance mode and changed the generator and the battery, but it hasn't helped. I'm now completely stumped; can't figure out why it's happening :unsure:.

The only thing I can think of is that occasionally I use the trike to check on modifications to airports that I do using ADE, I usually turn the engine off as it just annyos me lol, but occasionally it won't turn back on, and the electrics don't work. Whether this is connected I have no idea.

Edit: I have now also had this problem whilst the GPS is switched off, so it probably is not causing the issue.

Edit: Just read from the issues thread that this may have been fixed. Eagerly awaiting the SP!

As long as the OAT and the clock are working, there is voltage in my electrical system simulation. It is a bug with the microsoft electrics which should last forever as the entry in the aircraft.cfg should do that. Nearly all the systems should go on working expcept some as the attitude indicator, GPS, etc. that depend on the FSX power... :(

As long as the OAT and the clock are working, there is voltage in my electrical system simulation. It is a bug with the microsoft electrics which should last forever as the entry in the aircraft.cfg should do that. Nearly all the systems should go on working expcept some as the attitude indicator, GPS, etc. that depend on the FSX power... :(

Ok, I think I understand now. Is this unfixable then as it is a microsoft bug, or will it be possible to fix it in the upcoming SP?

I've read somewhere that FSUIPC has an option to make the FSX battery have infinite charge (Original Post), do you think this would be an effective way of fixing this?

Thanks Marcel

Just to clear up a point here. I was under the impression that the C172 was the default in FS9 and that the Trike is the FSX default. Also I understood that the Trike was chosen because it has near as dammit nothing to load and therefore nothing to interfere with subsequent loadings.

Can't find a 2c smiley. ;)

Ok, I think I understand now. Is this unfixable then as it is a microsoft bug, or will it be possible to fix it in the upcoming SP?

I've read somewhere that FSUIPC has an option to make the FSX battery have infinite charge (Original Post), do you think this would be an effective way of fixing this?

Thanks Marcel

Would be worth trying with FSUIPC. All I can do is switching the FSX generator on permanently. That is what I have done with the quickfix. For my systems, the FSX generator is not necessary.

You are correct Ron, I've just been switching from the Cessna out of habit. I think I was once advised to do this but I can't remember when and what for, it's just on of those things that kinda stuck!

Would be worth trying with FSUIPC. All I can do is switching the FSX generator on permanently. That is what I have done with the quickfix. For my systems, the FSX generator is not necessary.

Ok, thanks again Marcel

The battery fix applied by FSUIPC in its payware version offers a number of permutations in battery `life` extending it anything from twice to unlimited. As it `reads` the raw data from the sim I'm assuming its reading the contrived data from the Katana electrical system inside the sim, so the battery extension SHOULD work, but only Pete Dowson will be able to confirm that.

Thanks for the help again Simon, but I think I've now solved the problem. It was as I earlier speculated; I was being a bit of an idiot.

When I was loading the default cessna before switching to the Katana, I was making it completely cold and dark; to trigger the preset state for the Katana. In doing this, I switched off the battery switches in the Cessna which I assumed I was turning back on when doing so in the Katana.

However, what Marcel said about the separate electric system that he created made me think that I probably wasn't turning the FSX battery back on, just the Katana's and that might be messing things up. I then switched straight to the Katana without touching anything in the Cessna, and hey presto, I just got an hour's flight without any systems failing. So far then it seems I've fixed my problem!