Crashing to Desktop

metronom

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No CTD at all neither in FTX nor anywhere else.

Me neither. I flew Darrington to Orcas Island (FTX) in the Katana last night and made it safely with no crashes, not so much as a stutter.

Regards,

Tom

Me neither. I flew Darrington to Orcas Island (FTX) in the Katana last night and made it safely with no crashes, not so much as a stutter.

Regards,

Tom

Also did the flight to check and no crash experienced.

Me too, no CTD and no high CHT this time...;-)

Btw, is it possible, that it has also something to do with using time acceleration?

Cheers, Stephan

Not sure, i've never used time acceleration. I think it's mostly down to graphics memory exhaustion. With high levels of autogen in OrbX, it almost pushes my PC to breaking point. The first sign is low FPS and stutters. If you push it even harder, eventually you'll run out of memory and that causes the CTD.

Regards,

Tom

14 miles out, clicked on 'Select runway for landing' in the ATC window and kaboom!

Interesting. My sound freeze crashes (also linked to G3d.dll) uaually happened when I was interacting with FSX ATC via the menus. Makes me think the problem is some sort of thread collision - FSX being asked to do too many things at once. I agree with bliksimpie that the "too many things" involve texture loads. The fact that I was having my problems in proximity to Paine VOR leads me to wonder if there isn't some sort of texture corruption at Paine Field.

Most of my sound freeze crashes were in Orbx scenery. A couple were outside of Orbx country, in the Washington, DC area using UTX, GEX and Cloud 9 landclass. The heavy load in those cases came from weather - significant thunderstorm activity.

I've been too distracted by a string of real-life obligations to test the Katana in Orbx, but I'll try and see if I run into similar problems.

Interesting. My sound freeze crashes (also linked to G3d.dll) uaually happened when I was interacting with FSX ATC via the menus. Makes me think the problem is some sort of thread collision - FSX being asked to do too many things at once. I agree with bliksimpie that the "too many things" involve texture loads. The fact that I was having my problems in proximity to Paine VOR leads me to wonder if there isn't some sort of texture corruption at Paine Field.

Most of my sound freeze crashes were in Orbx scenery. A couple were outside of Orbx country, in the Washington, DC area using UTX, GEX and Cloud 9 landclass. The heavy load in those cases came from weather - significant thunderstorm activity.

I've been too distracted by a string of real-life obligations to test the Katana in Orbx, but I'll try and see if I run into similar problems.

These sound freeze crashes you talk about, are they the kind where you get a Not Responding message and you have to close it with the task manager? If so, i've found that with those errors often you can wait them out (couple of minutes to a maximum of about 10) and eventually they'll disappear and the flight will carry on as normal. Happened to me when flying the PMDG 747-400 on a long haul. 2 hours in and I get a Not Responding message. I let it sit there for a few minutes and sure enough it eventually cleared on its own and the sim resumed like nothing ever happened!

Regards,

Tom

These sound freeze crashes you talk about, are they the kind where you get a Not Responding message and you have to close it with the task manager? If so, i've found that with those errors often you can wait them out (couple of minutes to a maximum of about 10) and eventually they'll disappear and the flight will carry on as normal. Happened to me when flying the PMDG 747-400 on a long haul. 2 hours in and I get a Not Responding message. I let it sit there for a few minutes and sure enough it eventually cleared on its own and the sim resumed like nothing ever happened!

Regards,

Tom

Yes, that's the one. Screen freezes, controls and keyboard freeze, sound continues. I've read about people waiting it out and getting FSX to resume (sometimes after 10 minutes or more), but that's never worked for me - typically, the freeze-with-sound continues for a minute or two, then FSX crashes to desktop. I'd love it if I could get it to resolve on its own - the freeze/crash is really frustrating. As I mentioned earlier (I think in this thread), the only cure for me has been upgrading the video card. That made me think the problem had to do with some aspect of video processing power. If others are right about corrupt textures, that would fit the pattern, though the fact that mine usually happen during ATC interactions make me think that there are thread collisions happening elsewhere, too. Unfortunately I'm not fluent enough in hardware or software to be able to work out a better explanation than that. But I hope others will.

If I may add, and perhaps help in this topic, I am also getting CTD's with the Katana, but always in the same pattern: when I end the flight. I tested several scenarios since last night, and this only happens with the Katana.

Everything goes fine in all flights, but once I am parked, all systems shut down and tied down, and then ''end'' my flight, my FSX crashes. Not a show stopper, but it appears that when I then load the Katana for another flight, it does not ''remember'' I used it before (need to reinstall the RXP Garmin, timers are at 00:00), etc.

I run a Win 7 64 bit (well maintained) system.

This is the issue that at least three of us are having. I'm not having any crashes during flights, but the issue mentioned by KatanaCanuck happens to me every time. As he said, not a show stopper, but very annoying in that our aircraft condition isn't saved.

I'm not sure if this is related to the issue being discussed in the bulk of this thread; perhaps it should have its own thread.

Out of curiosity, how many of you are having this issue? Also, do any of you at Aerosoft support have an idea of the cause or solution to this issue?

This is the issue that at least three of us are having. I'm not having any crashes during flights, but the issue mentioned by KatanaCanuck happens to me every time. As he said, not a show stopper, but very annoying in that our aircraft condition isn't saved.

I'm not sure if this is related to the issue being discussed in the bulk of this thread; perhaps it should have its own thread.

Out of curiosity, how many of you are having this issue? Also, do any of you at Aerosoft support have an idea of the cause or solution to this issue?

This is exactly the issue I've been having. So far, I have not had any crashes in mid-flight, only when accessing a menu at the end of a flight to save it.

This is exactly the issue I've been having. So far, I have not had any crashes in mid-flight, only when accessing a menu at the end of a flight to save it.

When you just close FSX, is there a crash?

I'm not sure, Marcel. So far, I've always been trying to save a flight before exiting FSX. I'll try making a flight and just quitting and see what happens.

Okay I am back.

To follow-up on the CTD experienced, and the on-going "quest for the fix" with Bill, Marcel and BPL.

It appears that indeed there is something up when using the Katana in conjuction with FTX scenery.

First off tonight, I did a short flight from my real life home airport (outside of FTX coverage, and with FTX Central back to 'Default FSX). After landing and shut-down, I pressed 'esc' to exit flight. I got the usual 'end flight' choices, and clicked on it. That's one of the scenarios when I usually get the CTD.

I got no CTD this time.

I then loaded up a flight at KORS. In realistic mode, the Katana 'remembered' my previous flight and all the correct settings (fuel, timers, etc).

I did a short hop, and after parking and shut down... yup, the usual CTD when came time to 'end flight'.

So my most obvious conclusion is the link between FTX PNW and the Katana. This boggles my mind in a way, since I don't really by the 'your system is not good enough (or similar) line.

There is to be something deep 'within' that is causing this.

As I mentioned before, I have no issues with the Katana from start to finish (and actually love it). And I will keep using it. But the lack the maintenance and 'memory' of the plane sort of kills have the purpose of it.

Please keep on posting here and we might figure it out.

Note: faulty module for the CTD is always d3d9.dll

Cheers!

Note: faulty module for the CTD is always d3d9.dll

Cheers!

Sorry long post again.

Ok we just need to differentiate between thos getting the g3D.dll error and the d3d9.dll error.

d3d9.dll error has been known to happen at least 80%-90% of the time whenever you are busy doing something from the FSX MENU eg SAVE, even from days way long before ORBX and Katana so it is definately not related to either an ORBX or a Katana product. It has happened many time with fsx default installations without even one addon added)

propable causes

1) d3d9.dll error has been known to cause problems because of grapgix drivers and specifically in conjunction with FSX and SP2 (not so common with FSX Acceleration)

2) d3d9.dll error has been known to start happening when you use directx10 in FSX sometimes

3) d3d9.dll error has been known to start happening when people changed (mod) the shader. There are a number of people who got this error when they use the shader mod 3 that is around. The D3D9.DLL file that you put in the FSX directory is an altered version of the Direct3D interface and therefore it can cause problems.

4) d3d9.dll error has been known to start when people add the freeware bloom mod called ENB Series, contained a config file, and a d3d9.dll that is added to FSX. The D3D9.DLL file that you put in the FSX directory is an altered version of the Direct3D interface and therefore it can cause problems.

the g3D.dll (FSX program specific dll-loaded into system when you installed FSX) is definately related to loading problem of textures in FSX

the 3d39.dll (not FSX specific, but windows specific) is very much culprit arrising from drivers in the past? (Common Path: C:\ Windows\ system32\ d3d9.dll)

What is d3d9.dll

The module d3d9.dll is DirectX DLL for DirectX9. It adds DirectX functionality to Windows Multimedia tasks and games. This DLL is used for handling tasks related to multimedia on Microsoft platforms. The file d3d9.dll, defined as the 3D graphics API within DirectX 9, is widely used in the development of computer games for Microsoft Windows, Microsoft Xbox, and Microsoft Xbox 360. This module is also used by other software applications for visualization and graphics tasks because of its ability to quickly render high-quality 3D graphics using DirectX-compatible graphics hardware. The d3d9.dll file includes components for use by a running application as well as components for use by software developers at design time. The runtimes are included as built-in components of Microsoft Windows. The d3d9.dll file renders three dimensional graphics in applications where performance is important, such as games. The module also allows applications to run fullscreen instead of being embedded in a window, though they can still run in a window if programmed for that feature. The d3d9.dll module uses hardware acceleration on the graphics board, allowing hardware acceleration of the entire 3D rendering pipeline or even only partial acceleration. It exposes the advanced graphics capabilities of 3D graphics hardware, including z-buffering, anti-aliasing, alpha blending, bitmapping, atmospheric effects, and perspective-correct texture mapping

Possible error scenarios to check for solving d3d9.dll error (if we look at the above definition and previously recorded errors)

1) is your graphix drivers maybe a culprit, tried another version. Older sometimes is better. newest not always best and stable for FSX specifically. many people rectify this by going back to older more stable graphix drivers.

2) your Direct 9.0c that you loaded might be corrupted as the d3d9.dll is very much directx9.0 related.

3) do you have shader mod 3 modification installed

4) Do you have ENB bllom effect mod added

5) d3d9.dll is Directx9 related. Do you use direct x 10?

6) have you tried to acces the menu once you went from fullscreen to embedded view. does it also crash then.

Edit-

interesting post I found.

D3D9.dll is a DirectX.dll. If you ran all the test with dxdiag ( try start/run/dxdiag.) and it didn't report any errors than you most likely

have a video driver problem or a DirectX problem. Or reinstall direct x from www.microsoft.com/directx and reinstall your

video drivers, reboot and try uninstalling them again. Then reinstall them. Make sure you clean/sweap drivers leftovers

when you re-install new drivers or an older set of drivers.. There are several good guides for doing this around.

Yes, I get a crash just trying to close FSX. Any way I try to end the flight results in a crash, and it occurs no matter where I fly. I have the demo for FTX PNW, but I get crashes anywhere I fly.

I'm not technically gifted, so I can't contribute much in the way of hypotheses about the cause. All I know is that FSX crashes every time I try to end a flight in the Katana, no matter the other circumstances. I have never had a flight in the Katana that didn't end in a crash.

Btw and just as a status in between:Because I bought some new airports for orbx-AU, I'm flying now since monday with Katy every flight, something about 8 or 9 hours with weather engines, 2 monitors, plan-g, hot cpu because of high temps here outside (cpu 35-58degrrees), long legs, short legs, bad weather, almost all things to the right in fsx: No CTD.... But: This was in Orbx-AU! Since monday no CTD! Last week I did exactly the same things, but it was in PNW and I had several CTDs and I had to screw down autogen and water to get a bit rid of it...but they still happened. There MUST be something with Katy and PNW...

Cheers, stephan

Ps: in my messages after CTD are also these files mentioned, you're talking about...mostly this d3g.dll

Yes, I get a crash just trying to close FSX. Any way I try to end the flight results in a crash, and it occurs no matter where I fly. I have the demo for FTX PNW, but I get crashes anywhere I fly.

I attach a panel.cfg to this message with excludes some modules. Would be interesting, if those crashes still occur. Pleae backup you original file.

As the load/save module will not be available, you have to switch to instructor mode every flight and systems etc. should be loaded in full condition. Otherwise use the "repair all" button.

Thanks for your help! :)

panel.zip

My CTDs are mostly g3d.dlls or the occasional ai_player.dll (?) :unsure:

Have you tried to do fresh install of your drivers. What version have you currently installed.

From my experience g3d.dll errors is fixed 70% of the time with a fresh install of drivers.

Dont worry about the ai_player.dll. That is just listed sometime because ai is on and system thinks it is Ai_player.dll eroor but infact that is way off the truth.. dont read anything into the aiplayer.dll error..