Crashing to Desktop

metronom

Sad to say I'm still getting CTDs. A pattern, if it called as such, is that disaster strikes anything from 20-30 minutes into a flight. The rotten thing is that I get no such crashes with any other aircraft. DA Cheyenne, Turbine Duke, Sibwings BirdDog to name a few.

Oh, I've been to that same bar, met the same woman! :huh:

Hey Ron,

Where have you been flying so far, scenery-wise? I ask because there seems to be something less than compatible between the Katana and my Orbx sceneries. I switched to Southern California last night for a while, and my crash problems went away. My suspicion is that the Orbx sceneries are more taxing on the system, as is the Katana. Put them together, and you've got some very heavy loads indeed. It's more nuanced that that, of course, and there may still be bugs causing these CTD problems, but just for good measure I'd be interested to hear if you still get crashes elsewhere in the world.

Bill

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Ron,

Where have you been flying so far, scenery-wise? I ask because there seems to be something less than compatible between the Katana and my Orbx sceneries. I switched to Southern California last night for a while, and my crash problems went away. My suspicion is that the Orbx sceneries are more taxing on the system, as is the Katana. Put them together, and you've got some very heavy loads indeed. It's more nuanced that that, of course, and there may still be bugs causing these CTD problems, but just for good measure I'd be interested to hear if you still get crashes elsewhere in the world.

Bill

Bill, from the reading over at Orbx, some stable settings came out as really low ones, far away from the sweatspot of fps vs. optics, well below that.

I can, only subjectively, confirm your assumptions that the fine Orbx scenery seems to put some load on the system and then triggers the "too much point" easier than any other scenery I know.

We've discussed some problems at and around Brisbane, Melbourne but also Seattle and after ruling all out all installation related things (left over elevation files and so on), only the really low scenery settings seemed to have cured the CTDs when using some addon aircraft in the mentioned areas.

The surprising thing on this is that, from the fps oriented view, all systems were able to run much higher settings with acceptable fps outcomes. So you are aiming at an even more "fluid" experience because this may be the only stable one, in mid and long time terms.

Sounds vague? It is! But I had to go back to autogen "normal" for example, to rule out the CTDs when flying around Brisbane. Haven't tested the Katana that long now, at these areas mentioned. But from your description, she seems to be another plane with the need for low Orbx settings.

I've just started to try the Katana in Orbx PNW, so can't comment yet on this particular problem. But in the past I've had difficulty running complex aircraft in Orbx sceneries. The issues were only resolved when I upgraded my video card, which leads me to think it's a straightforward issue involving VRAM or some other element of video card performance. I had the famous FSX "sound freeze" (screen freezes, sound continues, then CTD) with the Carenado C208 in the vicinity of Paine VOR - resolved it by moving from a GTX 280 to a GTX 480. With the 480, I had the same problem in the same place using the PMDG 747-400. Once I installed a GTX 580, I was able to fly it there with no problems. I agree with Bill that the combination of Orbx sceneries and complex aircraft can be challenging for even the most capable systems. I'll post here if the Katana + Orbx bring me to a new limit.

Good point there. Although I was as stable with a 285 as I'm now with the 480, this whole regime of stable or not seems to be one with many influencing factors.

Now if somebody came up with a tool to really measure the load on the system and clearly showing the load limits on e. g. the various interconnecting busses of your system, this would really be a major step in the right direction.

We currently can only see "works" or "works not" (CTD or more) when we talk about stability and nobody can for example say how much closer to "works not" you get when the weather changes, the scenery or the plane. You don't have a works-not-meter (that's my copyright now, on this phrase :lol:) there and therefore, you are only guessing what could influence the thing. Fps are a bad indicator for stability for example.

Does your PCI-E bus collapse for a microsecond, does the latency increase, does your CPU core 3 struggle, and so on. Not to mention voltage based stability here and there.

You don't know for sure and you therefore see one guy with the modern system shouting out praises for the new addon while the other guy with some equal setup jumps from CTD to CTD.

Oops, off topic somehow, but maybe a viewpoint to talk about. And the Katana is a thing to really praise, that's assured. Currently testing at Bill's new scenery, great work there too.

• Aerosoft

I've just started to try the Katana in Orbx PNW, so can't comment yet on this particular problem. But in the past I've had difficulty running complex aircraft in Orbx sceneries. The issues were only resolved when I upgraded my video card, which leads me to think it's a straightforward issue involving VRAM or some other element of video card performance. I had the famous FSX "sound freeze" (screen freezes, sound continues, then CTD) with the Carenado C208 in the vicinity of Paine VOR - resolved it by moving from a GTX 280 to a GTX 480. With the 480, I had the same problem in the same place using the PMDG 747-400. Once I installed a GTX 580, I was able to fly it there with no problems. I agree with Bill that the combination of Orbx sceneries and complex aircraft can be challenging for even the most capable systems. I'll post here if the Katana + Orbx bring me to a new limit.

That combination really pushes the memory indeed. Should not be a real issue under Windows 7 though, but in XP and certainly Vista you could simply be running out of memory.

That combination really pushes the memory indeed. Should not be a real issue under Windows 7 though, but in XP and certainly Vista you could simply be running out of memory.

I was running under Windows 7 in all those scenarios, so memory may not be the issue - as CoolP suggests, it may have to do with some other element of video card capacity or just the way elements of the system are interacting. I hate to be so vague about it but there are so many individual aspects to our systems that it's hard to pin these issues down.

I've now had two flights in the Katana from Vashon to Cushman's and everything ran fine. In the first flight I used the Orbx Weather 5 theme instead of ASE and the Katana had a nasty reaction to turbulence, but that's not a system issue... In general, the Katana is much lighter on my system than some of my other aircraft (the A2A Cub is much more demanding, I think because of the polygon and/or texture modeling as well as the processing demanded by Accusim). So my Orbx experience is pretty encouraging. But it's a small sample. Again, I'll post if I run into anything gnarly.

I'll throw in that I've been getting the CTDs on a Win7-64 system with 6GB of RAM. Honestly, it doesn't act as if the memory is exahausted - there's no slowdown in performance or artifacting, just that when I finish the flight and try to access the menus, my sim goes down for the count. I've tried the uiautomationcore.dll fix to no avail, so it doesn't seem to be that. Here's a small things we might check out, though: when I was testing Cushman, I switched on my missing texture alerts in the FSX config. In addition to finding a couple of missing scenery textures, I was getting several Katana textures that had gone AWOL as well. Maybe the search for those textures puts the sim into some sort of loop that causes problems down the road. It seems unlikely to be the main culprit, but it's worth following up on.

• Aerosoft

I'll throw in that I've been getting the CTDs on a Win7-64 system with 6GB of RAM. Honestly, it doesn't act as if the memory is exahausted - there's no slowdown in performance or artifacting, just that when I finish the flight and try to access the menus, my sim goes down for the count. I've tried the uiautomationcore.dll fix to no avail, so it doesn't seem to be that. Here's a small things we might check out, though: when I was testing Cushman, I switched on my missing texture alerts in the FSX config. In addition to finding a couple of missing scenery textures, I was getting several Katana textures that had gone AWOL as well. Maybe the search for those textures puts the sim into some sort of loop that causes problems down the road. It seems unlikely to be the main culprit, but it's worth following up on.

Bill, I'll look into that.

Sad to say I'm still getting CTDs. A pattern, if it called as such, is that disaster strikes anything from 20-30 minutes into a flight. The rotten thing is that I get no such crashes with any other aircraft. DA Cheyenne, Turbine Duke, Sibwings BirdDog to name a few.

Oh, I've been to that same bar, met the same woman! :huh:

Hi,

as far I understood everything, I can compare Ron´s problem very good with my own.... exactly the same. Short flights with Katy are no problem (I use 99% PNW and other ORBX sceneries, but I have had also a CTD in a German scenery - ANDRAS FIELD). But if I want to make a longer flight, it happened already 4 times, that I get a CTD. The first two have happened while changing the view from VC to outside and back. But the last two happened just during the flight in VC. Suddenly frozen pic and zwo seconds later the CTD. It never happens in short flights. (under 10min.) Mostly after 20-30min, so the same, Ron wrote.

With all the other airplanes (A2A Piper Cub, PMDG J41, all Carenados, Lancair IV a.s.o.), like Ron says, do I have also no problem. I´ve flown t.ex. with the A2A Piper Cub, which I have not so long, 32 hours (not i one peace...;-) ) but there was never such a behavier. Yesterday I wanted to made a flight with Katy from KCMW to 7S3 for a second time (ca.1:30h).... No chance - CTD near Vancover - almost the half. (But in this case, the CHT was OK ;-) ). After that I took the A2A Piper Cub in the same conditions. No Problem, just a bit slower... ;-)

I have no Idea.

System: AMD 1090BE @4,0Ghz, 8GB RAM, Nvidia GTX 470, FSX ACC on 256 GB - SSD Cruical, Win7- 64bit, 27"fullHD. I have the 1.01 Beta-Patch installed. I drive every programm in admin.

Snave wrote something about a "clean fsx.cfg", when I remember it right. That will be my next step. It is now tweaked by ..... Jesus? There where you can send your cfg to and get it back... anyway, perhaps I should back it up, take a new one... Further, I have a lot of trusteds in the cfg. Perhaps there is disturbing something? I think, I throw them all out and take just the things I need to fly with Katy a make a test at the weekend. What about the REX or Open Cloud weather-engine? Sometimes it happens that they crash. It has no effect on the FSX so far, but perhaps they crash sometimes "internally" (?), I mean perhaps without a message and it comes to a CTD? Should it be worth to make a flight in default conditions?

Cheers, Stephan

Pity, that Snave can´t write in German... :-( Think, I could learn much more, if I would get everything he writes.... but its a good reason to learn english .... thank you for all your post ( as far as I understand them...;-) )

If I may add, and perhaps help in this topic, I am also getting CTD's with the Katana, but always in the same pattern: when I end the flight. I tested several scenarios since last night, and this only happens with the Katana.

Everything goes fine in all flights, but once I am parked, all systems shut down and tied down, and then ''end'' my flight, my FSX crashes. Not a show stopper, but it appears that when I then load the Katana for another flight, it does not ''remember'' I used it before (need to reinstall the RXP Garmin, timers are at 00:00), etc.

I run a Win 7 64 bit (well maintained) system.

If I may add, and perhaps help in this topic, I am also getting CTD's with the Katana, but always in the same pattern: when I end the flight. I tested several scenarios since last night, and this only happens with the Katana.

Everything goes fine in all flights, but once I am parked, all systems shut down and tied down, and then ''end'' my flight, my FSX crashes. Not a show stopper, but it appears that when I then load the Katana for another flight, it does not ''remember'' I used it before (need to reinstall the RXP Garmin, timers are at 00:00), etc.

YES! That's exactly what's happening on my system, too - also with a well-maintained W7-64 system. In fact, all I do on this rig is fly, nothing else. This is the only plane I've ever had crash it on ending a flight. Most puzzling.

I'm having the exact same issue. But I'm running Vista 64 bit, and I don't have the RXP GPS.

• Aerosoft

All these problems point to one cause... memory leaks. Now I left the Katana running on my system the whole night and this morning I saw that FSX was using 32 Mb more memory then 11 hours before. That's repeatable with default aircraft so it should be seen as standard behavior.

Now to test this is simple, run the Katana with lower settings for scenery and above all AI traffic. If you do not have problems then it's clear that there is a memory issue.

From time to time I also had a CTD in the ORBX Scenery. As my memory goes over 2.8 GB! For Default Scenery he goes up to 2.1 GB. With the default Cessna, I default to 1.3 GB memory and 1.8 GB for ORBX Senery.To get more memory, I deleted my anti virus program reduced (NOD32)and Autogen. Then I instaled Performance clouds and water with lowerresolution. Since I have not CTD anymore. (And about 5 more frames)

Sorry for my bad English. It is Google Translate:)

In German:

Von Zeit zu Zeit hatte ich auch ein CTD in den ORBX Scenery. Da geht mein Speicher über 2.8 GB ! Bei Default Scenery geht er bis 2.1 GB. Mit der default Cessna habe ich 1.3 GB Speicher bei default, und 1.8 GB bei ORBX Senery. Um mehr Speicher zu bekommen, habe ich mein Anti Virus Programm gelöscht (NOD32) und das Autogen reduziert. Dann habe ich Performance Wolken instaliert und Wasser mit geringere Auflösung. Seit dem habe ich kein CTD mehr. (Und cirka 5 Frames mehr)

Hey Ron,

Bill

Yo Bill, Since getting the Katana I've flown only in PNW. Darrington-Concrete-Orcas and Darrington-Cushmans, but....since deleting the multiple entries for my graphics card, leaving only the current display (1920x1080) in the fsx.cfg, I've not had a single crash! Could it be you test your WIP sceneries in different resolutions?

After only just over a year in FSX I've become unsurpassed at clutching at straws. :rolleyes:

Having put the kibosh on it, I'll now go and have another CTD. ;)

Hi Mathijs,

what do you mean with "above all AI Traffic"?

Gruss, Stephan

In more standard English, he means: "...run the Katana with lower settings for scenery and especially lower settings for AI traffic." In other words, turn down your scenery settings, and turn down your AI traffic settings even more.

English idioms can be hard to understand. For a second, I misunderstood what he said; and English is my first language! :lol:

In other words, turn down your scenery settings, and turn down your AI traffic settings even more.

English idioms can be hard to understand. For a second, I misunderstood what he said; and English is my first language! :lol:

Thank you! :-)

regards, stephan

• 2 weeks later...

When I've been flying the Katana for more than a couple of minutes and I go out of full-screen 3D mode (to access the settings control panel, or to save a flight, for instance), I always get a crash. After a nice long flight this afternoon, I parked the plane, got it all set up with chocks, control locks, etc., then went to save the flight - whammo, CTD.

Too same. I noticed this with long fligh. If Id like to save parked DA20 I have CTD. All symptoms like from Bill. No CTD with my different airplanes, Im user ORBX too.

LOG of CTD:

Nazwa zdarzenia problemu: APPCRASH

Nazwa aplikacji: fsx.exe

Wersja aplikacji: 10.0.61637.0

Sygnatura czasowa aplikacji: 46fadb14

Nazwa modułu z błędem: d3d9.dll

Wersja modułu z błędem: 1.0.0.1

Sygnatura czasowa modułu z błędem: 48751493

Kod wyjÄ…tku: c0000005

Przesunięcie wyjątku: 00006d1c

Wersja systemu operacyjnego: 6.0.6002.2.2.0.768.3

Identyfikator ustawień regionalnych: 1045

I thought the g3d.dll crashes had gone away but they came back with a vengeance! 3 consequentive flights from Darrington to Orcas Islands ended at the same spot, just 18nm from KORS. I then tried the same trip with a BirdDog....Made it with no problem. :wacko:

I then came upon THIS THREAD, scroll down to post #16.

I'm not saying this is the definitive answer as I reinstalled the Katana just prior to making this change, BUT the next Darrington to KORS went without a hitch. I did hold my breath though when I got to 20nm out until landing! :D

I thought the g3d.dll crashes had gone away but they came back with a vengeance! 3 consequentive flights from Darrington to Orcas Islands ended at the same spot, just 18nm from KORS. I then tried the same trip with a BirdDog....Made it with no problem. :wacko:

I then came upon THIS THREAD, scroll down to post #16.

I'm not saying this is the definitive answer as I reinstalled the Katana just prior to making this change, BUT the next Darrington to KORS went without a hitch. I did hold my breath though when I got to 20nm out until landing! :D

Hi there Ron

i have also got teh dreaded g3d.dll awhile ago with both KORS and Bremmerton. You will normally get it between 15 and 20 knots from the airport. After a lot of investigating I found. the following:

If you have such an error eg g3d.dll error then it is mostly an texture error at an airport and that is why you get it only when you near an airport. Most of the times it is an texture error of an ai airplane parked at the airport. (It was in my case anyway of Bremerton and that take ages to debug). I know it does not make any sense as you said you did not crash with the birddog. Same happened with me but I got it when i use an complacted aircraft near these airports. When I dont use a complicated aircraft like birddog I also find it does not happen.

Personally I think it is more a case of overload that system struggles and when you get to that said airport and try to load that textures it just overload trying to search it ass off for the culprit texture and then it crash.

You can then google g3d.dll error and you will find lots of information and you not the only one struggling with KORS. There were also other people that have listed KORS as one of the places they get the CTD. I dont think it is plane specific. It is airport specific and it happen when you get too close to the airport and that happen when the system start loading that particular airport data. That is why the crashes occur for everybody about between 20 and 18 knots from the said airports.

I think a lot more investigation need to go into this, but I am pretty sure it is not "the aircraft you fly" related but a few things together with the net result of a crash. There are huge number of posts on the flightsim forums but no real solutions. I don't honestly see an easy solution as the cause won't be easy to pinpoint. Usually g3d.dll errors tend to be related to corrupted textures, when you look at past posts they always happen at or near a specific airport 95% of the time and always related back to an airport and very seldom back to a specif aircraft though there were a few (les then 2% of posts that related to PMDG aircraft. (from me having read through the 1000's of posts on this matter.)

In my case it happened with the Realair Turbine Duke also sometimes - but not all the times.

My summary on G3D.DLL errors is that it is a loading problem in FSX: (too much too complicated)

1. Some other sceneries install parts of bad landclasses... remove landclass

2. Some ai aircraft have bad textures at an airport - fix textures

3. Test it with reinstall of your driver for your graphic card and

4. Test it with older driver for your graphix card (maybe an older one is better than a newer)

5. Overclocking taxing the system too much.. back too bottom line: it is a loading problem..!

Point 3 always worked for me and I always try this first before trying to find texture errors etc , I did re-install of my current graphix card drivers and the error stopped. if you look at all the errors and what the g3d.dll is used for in FSX, then you will see it work together with your graphix drivers..

sooo... before you do a lot of installs en uninstalls..

just re-install current graphix drivers and see that all is fixed and then try again with a complicated aircraft. Most probably your CTD will stop. In my case that worked pretty much 95% of the time.

EDIT--

Also see this post where G3D.dll eroros happend due to tooo complex REX textures.

http://realenvironme...p?topic=13053.0

ah the old g3d.dll timestamp error  happened to me as well

I think this means you have conflicting textures or some rot

I would delete all your saved flights and your config file and let it rebuild

do you have the rex weather engine start up with fsx if so when your config file rebuilds you will get a message asking if you want the rex weather engine to start with fsx choose no.... after fsx is started

and is waiting for input close it. then open rex and go to config manager and choose that rex weather engine [b]does not [/b]start automatically with fsx .in options I believe you want to use dxt5 clouds as they are less of a system drain after you have saved your config and options you can start fsx

and if you want to use rex weather engine start it after fsx with a desktop shortcut.

this and the stuff I mentioned above worked for me A side not I have expierenced this error before when using rex weather while flying in a fsx mission I think because rex was trying to make one weather and the mission was trying to make another there was a conflict.  If none of this helps it may be an issue with your overclock you are overclocked as I remember from the other forum correct. hope this helps 

I am not the most tek savvy bloke but I have had enough of these same errors as you so I thought I would share what has worked for me in the past through trial and error ...GOOD LUCK  [img=http://www.realenvironmentxtreme.com/forum/Smileys/default/smiley.gif]

Bottomline is that G3D.DLL error have been with us from Fs9 days and will be with us for a very long time to come and there is no specific item to correct. It has never ever been proven that a specific aircraft is teh result of a g3d.dll crash but scenery textures have been proven to be the culprit 70% of the time with the rest made up of incorrect graphix drivers errors and overclocking sytems.

G3d.dll errors are normally a texture loading error..

Short lived happiness. I'm now getting obsessed with Darrington-KORS. I got to within 14nm of KORS and was tuning my radio in when...BOSH!

The cat is now wearing a worried look on it's face. :angry: I'm going to have to leave my Katana hangared for a while methinks. :(

Very interesting post btw.