Crashing to Desktop

metronom

Hello,

everytime when i crash with the Catana, i got a ctd.

The reality slider is full to the right, but i don't think it should go so far and close the FSX after a crash :huh:

Any Ideas?

metronom

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you have crash detection on? I have it off because too often I crash due to an invisible box somewhere while taxiing... The Katana damage system works seperate from the FSX damage model, so you night as well turn crash detection off.

Best solution would be to not crash the Katana, obviously.... ;) 'Every time' seems as if you do it regularly...? It's been ages since I actually crashed a plane in FSX.

I'm getting consistent crashes to desktop, too, albeit under different circumstances. When I've been flying the Katana for more than a couple of minutes and I go out of full-screen 3D mode (to access the settings control panel, or to save a flight, for instance), I always get a crash. After a nice long flight this afternoon, I parked the plane, got it all set up with chocks, control locks, etc., then went to save the flight - whammo, CTD. The error I get says something on the order of "This features requires SmartAssembly to be installed on your computer". I've reinstalled the dotnet 4.0 runtimes, but it has no effect on the crashing or the content of the error box.

Any thoughts?

First thought: Got any dodgy entries in the FSX.cfg Bill? Are you running FSX as Administrator?

I run a pretty clean FSX.cfg on this rig. It's strong enough not to require any tweaks. And yes to running as admin.

I run a pretty clean FSX.cfg on this rig. It's strong enough not to require any tweaks. And yes to running as admin.

Well bill you are not the only one, notice that this one runs on to much memory footprint ;-)

Cheers,

André

I had some crashes being related to the (running) RXP unit. Their .mem file was corrupt and only the deletion helped then.

This is not a Katana problem though, but I came up on the Katana running the GNS530. Happened after some minutes in flight, so not at startup or something.

Maybe this helps some of you. Ever since deleting that .mem file (it gets rebuild then), the thing works like a charm, speaking of the whole package of Katana and RXP.

Find it in the "my documents" folder under \rxpGnsSim\Nonvol.

I had some crashes being related to the (running) RXP unit. Their .mem file was corrupt and only the deletion helped then.

This is not a Katana problem though, but I came up on the Katana running the GNS530. Happened after some minutes in flight, so not at startup or something.

Maybe this helps some of you. Ever since deleting that .mem file (it gets rebuild then), the thing works like a charm, speaking of the whole package of Katana and RXP.

Find it in the "my documents" folder under \rxpGnsSim\Nonvol.

Thanks, but I don't have any RXP equipment - I'm using the stock cfg files as they came "out of the box".

Just checking Spotlope, are we 100% sure you installed as admin?

I can't be sure of anything right now, as my brain is fried from the late stages of a disease called scenery development. As I'm reading up on the SmartAssembly errors, it's becoming obvious that many people find relief by reinstalling the products. That's what I'll do today, making positively sure that I do so as admin.

I'm not sure if my crashes are the same but I'm getting g3d.dll fatals. Three so far, none of them with any specific circumstances. The last one was during a flight from Darrington to Orcas, pootling along nicely keeping a close watch on EVERY dial and light. GPS on (not the fancy one, just bog standard) 20-25 minutes in BANG! Windows tells me it encountered a problem and would I like for it to restart FSX. Checked the Event viewer, g3d.dll. Haven't had one of those for yonks.

Hi, Ron.

Can you try a flight with Autogen back to "normal" and a "medium" level of detail radius? Those g3d.dll things mostly (not always) are scenery related and, speaking of the area you are describing, this seems to be a "heavy" one when being used together with complex planes. You're talking about the fine Orbx scenery there, right?

As said, just a try with those mentioned settings. It helped other guys before and may help you too.

For example, they are referring to another heavy area here and the settings seemed to have helped there.

An update: I reinstalled the Katana, taking care to assure that I ran it as administrator when I did. I thought the problem was licked, but then after a half-hour flight I got the dreaded CTD again when I tried to save the flight on landing. It seems to crash whenever I access the menu after even a brief flight. I did a successful save on the ground at the start of the flight, but that was after only a couple minutes of preflight. I even tried adding the Vista uiautomationcore.dll to the FSX root, as that's been fingered by a goodly number of W7-64 users as a fix for this situation. Unfortunately, no dice in my case. What I'm left with now is a plane that I seem to be able to fly without problems, but can't save at the end because of this issue.

Since the problem seems to happen after a while of flying, I'm wondering if some sort of memory leak might be to blame. Just spitballing here.

And you are on g3d.dll trouble too, Bill? Or do you get another module showing up?

Oops, just read that SmartAssembly thing. Sounds like the Visual Basic and/or C++ thing with those runtimes in different versions. Did you check this stuff and tried to repair/reinstall it so far?

Talking about Microsoft Visual C++ 200x Redist, showing in the Programs and Features screen of Windows.As quite some addon aircraft rely on those components, the Katana may be another candidate there. Marcel could surely tell.

Bill, are you speaking of the FSX menu bar or the 4X Katana menu?

Marcel, the crash happens when I attempt to access the FSX menu after a short Katana flight. The Katana's shift-3 menu comes up no problem.

Hi, Ron.

Can you try a flight with Autogen back to "normal" and a "medium" level of detail radius?

I've been running 'Extremely dense' since forever in every a/c I own with no problems. But I'll give it a go.

Those g3d.dll things mostly (not always) are scenery related and, speaking of the area you are describing, this seems to be a "heavy" one when being used together with complex planes.

After mulling it over I came to the same conclusion. Maybe my settings were on a knife edge and the Katana tips it over.

You're talking about the fine Orbx scenery there, right?

Don't let JV see this, but is there anywhere else? :rolleyes:

As said, just a try with those mentioned settings. It helped other guys before and may help you too.

For example, they are referring to another heavy area here and the settings seemed to have helped there.

Yeah, that's a well trodden path eh? I'll just fiddle with my graphics a bit. :confused2_s:

I have to say, it adds a certain frisson when you get to within 12 miles of KORS and wonder if you'll make it. So far no luck. It's become a challenge!

That could be it. Are you running Win 7 or Vista, Bill? If so, try the UIAutomationcore fix:

LINKIE

Thanks Simon, but as I said above, I've tried that fix. It doesn't seem to help in this case.

Sad to say I'm still getting CTDs. A pattern, if it called as such, is that disaster strikes anything from 20-30 minutes into a flight. The rotten thing is that I get no such crashes with any other aircraft. DA Cheyenne, Turbine Duke, Sibwings BirdDog to name a few.

Oh, I've been to that same bar, met the same woman! :huh: