Mixture?

Prozac

Excuse me if this has been previously addressed, but I can find no reference in the manual or the forums; By what method is the mixture controlled on the Katana? There's obviously the choke for startup, but what about operations at altitude? Is the Rotax equipped with some sort of auto-mixture system? Also, can someone explain the cooling system to me? Obviously it works, but it sems impossible that enough cooling air gets to the cylinders through the tiny openings in the cowl. I understand the cyl heads are liquid cooled - assume that's a radiator I see up front? Marcel and developers: great work - best GA sim so far in FS IMHO.

Yes, the Rotax has a form of automatic mixture control for its dual CD carburettors. The cooling system uses liquid-cooling only for the cylinder heads, and normal ram-air colling for the cylinders but as the engine is an opposed four design, there's plenty of airflow and the major components are aluminium, which allows for much reduced heat-sink effect compared to older GA engines. In fact, the engine owes more to current motorcycle engine design than it does to airplane motors - Rotax recommends high-quality motorcycle oils for example, rather than typical aviation lubes.

The full engine sperc - including cooling system - can be read about

HERE

Thank you Simon for the info and excellent link. I've added the Rotax manual to my folder containing Aerosoft's Katana manuals. Should provide a couple hours of interesting study. I've purchased a few of Aerosoft's products in the past and have been a lurker on the forums. I couldn't help but notice several of your posts in the various forums here and you seem very well informed, if a little coarse with your responses. Mind if I ask what your background is?

I was wondering this too. Thanks for the info. Is the proper way to shut down one of these engines to simply turn the key off then? I ask because as a Warrior pilot this is a big no-no - you should always lean the mixture right off and starve it of fuel! :D

Regards,

Tom Wright

Thank you Simon for the info and excellent link. I've added the Rotax manual to my folder containing Aerosoft's Katana manuals. Should provide a couple hours of interesting study. I've purchased a few of Aerosoft's products in the past and have been a lurker on the forums. I couldn't help but notice several of your posts in the various forums here and you seem very well informed, if a little coarse with your responses. Mind if I ask what your background is?

I have an engineering and journalism degrees and originally served in submarines. After I left the Navy I learned to fly, then joined the motorcycle industry initially as a journalist then latterly as a consultant doing R & D, test and quality assurance work which led me into other areas such as marine fuel injection systems and automotive SMART repairs. I spent thirteen years as a consultant to the National Motor Museum, Beaulieu and a variety of publishers in the automotive, aviation, healthcare and motorcycle industries. Currently, I'm working in telecomms. In 1999-2002 I built my own plane - a Europa XS - with a friend. I have around 850 hours TT, mostly in GA but if I can get the money I'm looking to do a Harvard conversion (something about old, round engines that drip oil... :wub: ). I've previously mentioned my motorcycle training qualifications.

I suffer f^%^wits every working day, so have little tolerance left when I come here. On several occasions I have given evidence in Coroners Courts when some muppet has messed with engineering he shouldn't and died as a result. I also corroborate or refute evidential probity - so my mistrust of those who believe something is true simply because they read it somewhere or repeat it ad nauseum rather than check it out for themselves is probably deep-seated.

FS isn't life and death, but neither is it an excuse for laziness, failure to read the manuals, or consider and learn from the body of wisdom that already exists before asking a question that has been asked - and answered - a thousand times before.

Done properly, FS is a metaphor for life.

You call it coarse. I call it blunt and straightforward. As I don't know any of you here personally, I don't care either way. I'm here for my benefit, no-one elses, but if someone else is helped by me along the way that's great. I respond best to those that seek a hand up, not a hand out.

`nuff said. :mellow:

I have an engineering and journalism degrees and originally served in submarines. After I left the Navy I learned to fly, then joined the motorcycle industry initially as a journalist then latterly as a consultant doing R & D, test and quality assurance work which led me into other areas such as marine fuel injection systems and automotive SMART repairs. I spent thirteen years as a consultant to the National Motor Museum, Beaulieu and a variety of publishers in the automotive, aviation, healthcare and motorcycle industries. Currently, I'm working in telecomms. In 1999-2002 I built my own plane - a Europa XS - with a friend. I have around 850 hours TT, mostly in GA but if I can get the money I'm looking to do a Harvard conversion (something about old, round engines that drip oil... :wub: ). I've previously mentioned my motorcycle training qualifications.

I suffer f^%^wits every working day, so have little tolerance left when I come here. On several occasions I have given evidence in Coroners Courts when some muppet has messed with engineering he shouldn't and died as a result. I also corroborate or refute evidential probity - so my mistrust of those who believe something is true simply because they read it somewhere or repeat it ad nauseum rather than check it out for themselves is probably deep-seated.

FS isn't life and death, but neither is it an excuse for laziness, failure to read the manuals, or consider and learn from the body of wisdom that already exists before asking a question that has been asked - and answered - a thousand times before.

Done properly, FS is a metaphor for life.

You call it coarse. I call it blunt and straightforward. As I don't know any of you here personally, I don't care either way. I'm here for my benefit, no-one elses, but if someone else is helped by me along the way that's great. I respond best to those that seek a hand up, not a hand out.

`nuff said. :mellow:

Hi Snave! I have read your posts for years and never knew that you were a fellow submariner. I served in the US Navy for 30 years and spent 24 of those on sea duty as an engineer. I too have a low tolerance for BS. A submarine is not a place for mistakes and they have shaped my thinking a lot. I thank you for the help that you give to others who sincerely want to learn about the flight sim world and I have an understanding of your occasional terseness. I am really enjoying the Katana too. I think it represents an new level in FS.

Cheers

Rodger Butler EMCM(SS) Ret.