Praises, Reports, Questions

CoolP

Well done, Marcel and team! What a pleasure and nice experience to go with this new product of yours. It's way too cheap by the way.

Here are some observation and reports, mainly from this thread. I thought it would be easier for you guys to see them collected in the Aerosoft forums.

Trying to make the descriptions somehow briefly, letting you judge about the origin of some "flaws" (may well be some user caused stuff there) and the validity of some wishes.

1)

The "normal" clickspot for RXP gauges is missing in the RXP setup coming with the plane. A run of the RXP config tool helps and adds a new window for the comfortable operation of the GPS when the VC is shaking for example. Personal preference, I know.

Very innovative feature to switch the configs on the fly by the way.

2)

I expect this to be a feature, not a bug.

hole.th.jpghole2t.th.jpg

Some holes when the canopy is closed.

3)

While cleaning the plane (neat feature again), it isn't fully clear where to attach the sponge for getting just over the windscreen. The schematics of the plane show the windscreen from above, so it's a very small area.

4)

The night lighting seems to distract some guys (including me) because, on the first attempt in real darkness, the thing is very subtle. For me, the main instruments become nice and clear after some 2 minutes or so, but I think that only a slight gamma change or the use of the ENB mod renders them as "too dark" in quite some eyes.

Also, the clock doesn't get backlit, but the screenshots on the page show her lit up. Am I missing something about the clock? Can get the rest to work (two switches on the pedestal plus the dimmer on the left).

Promotional shot with clock lit.

katana021.th.jpg

Current experience in the sim (from user ryanbatc, but the not lit clock is a thing on my system too).

katanannight.th.jpg

The lighting of the aircraft lights (landing and taxi) gives me some sort of haze layer, getting lit up at some angles. There's no haze from the weather itself, it just comes from switching those extra light effects (=non FSX standard) on.

5)

The Introduction manual does not mention the different options for the rpm lever. Flap lever and realistic/standard radios are described, but the rpm lever and the linked simulation of the prop governor isn't explained.

6)

My aircraft saves most of the settings, but always misses my "default radios" only wish. Takes a click to enable it again, I know, but as all other settings (flap, "parked", lights, and so on) are saved and this one not, I'd like to mention it.

7)

I'm too dumb, I can't find the Structural Temperatur Indicator. Yes, the manual describes it, but, as said, I'm just to dumb. :blush:

Edited: Ryan helped. Feeling better now.

8)

I saw the tow bar problem already being described. Yes, it's able to air start the bird, currently. :P

9)

First wish: VC rain effects.

Yes, you are right, so much nice details already in this bird and the price, as said, is too low for them. But customers always want more, so I'm wishing for some raindrops.

10)

I don't get the point of this Tool Button feature when looking at the Workshop or Service. While the Replacement Button is clear to me (system/fliud gets replaced, so I have a new one thereafter = function ok), this

The progress bar does not represent the status of the system nor is the system in perfect condition if the progress has been completed

puzzles me.

What is the expected outcome after working on it but not knowing if it is ok now?

Also, again, very personal viewpoint, the time it takes to start the inspection and then e. g. working on/replacing a part can be quite long.

Yes, the real thing will take longer, but I have something to do on the real thing while the sim one leaves me there with the progress bar only to look at.

Don't get me wrong, the whole maintenance features of this plane are awesome, but the "work on time" may be reduced when looking at the overall time it takes to just run the inspection and changing one or two parts.

11)

I can't get the CDI needles to show me some deviation at all. Running the radios in simple mode (since I have some hardware to drive them), the RXP unit is installed.

But tuning a valid VOR or using the RXP to drive the needles doesn't make them react. I can see that the From/To indicator is working fine, but the needles are always centered.

12)

Second wish.

Currently, only the RXP 530 owners can use their gauges. Big thumbsup for the 3D model there!

Now, when using the RXP units, the COM/NAV radio of the plane renders obsolete since the RXP includes all COM/NAV tuning and the Katana only has COM1/NAV1 units.

Now, if the 430 users were able to exchange the default Katana radio with their 430 RXP unit, they would have a chance to use their gauges too.

People with 530+430 or twin 430 may also get happy when the space gets usable for them. So this wish includes some more 3D models (or a "flat" option) especially for the 430 guys around. See some picture and explanation here.

As said, customers always want more, please don't get offended by it, Marcel. :)

13)

Edited: One last item, almost forgot about it.

The Inspection showed my that I have to watch that Inlet Baffle. It was marked yellow. Now, I did not have one installed as I was flying Australia at some 25+ degrees Celsius, so I think that the system just stumbled upon the fact that there was no item to be inspected.

Once again, great work on that plane, big fun to operate and maintain her.

I've read your statement that you are away for some days now, so I'm aware of some waiting time and you truly deserve some spare time after finishing this jewel, no doubt.

Thanks for checking. :)

We will both agree that this really is a neat FSX addon with tons of fun included. I'm really glad that this list doesn't get read as some sort of complain collection but as pure sign of interest and excitement towards the product.

I am not away all the days but only a few hours at home... :)

Thank you very much for the list. In fact I try to read the thread in the avsim forum from time to time.

Some points will be fixed as soon as possible, others may be considered and some will not be done, for example the raindrops (I checked if it is possible at the Katana and came to the conclusion that it isn't, sorry...) and the GNS430. Things will get to complex and I want to procceed my work on the Eclipse and the Porter in the near future. There is another kind of avionic that may find its way into the Katana cockpit... but it is too early to talk about it. ;)

About the maintenance: Replacements is a work that has a clear end and so the job has to be completed. You can't exchange the engine 50%. On the other hand, maintaining an engine would never be done 100% as it is nearly impossible to get it in the same condition as a new engine. If you stop the engine maintenance after a while, you may be able to fly with it many hours without problems. If you do the full maintenance it is even in better condition but not perfect. If you have the time, you could do another maintenance and the status will get better.

By the way: the repairman and serviceman become better and quicker with the time.

As I mentioned some times before: If you have not the time to maintain the aircraft, just switch to one of the other modes for this or the next few flights. The realistic mode stands for work, investing time in servicing and maintenance but will be rewarded with some special features and some kind of thrill. :)

• Upvote 1

Thanks for your answers, Marcel.

By the way: the repairman and serviceman become better and quicker with the time.

Man, you gotta love details when programming such things. Thunbsup again and thanks for the information, I will train those guys. :D

Thanks for the information about the rain drop attempt, it's ok when it gets explained. Will try to tease you with that 430 RXP option though or maybe you go for the simple "flat" panel way to allow all those RXP nerds (I'm one, now) to set up their stuff while not having to fight the 3D model. See that as a compromise suggestion, please, not as one 'the customer wishes, so do it!' complain.

I like the style of your work and therefore can accept quite some "downsides". Getting pretty excited about that mentioned "maybe" avionics feature to come though. Lets start guessing!

I think that your paragraph about the maintenance works should find a way in the revised manuals then. This would clear up things some more and invites the pilot to try this and that. An approach for which the aircraft was build in my eyes and where it sets new standards.

About the maintenance: Replacements is a work that has a clear end and so the job has to be completed. You can't exchange the engine 50%. On the other hand, maintaining an engine would never be done 100% as it is nearly impossible to get it in the same condition as a new engine. If you stop the engine maintenance after a while, you may be able to fly with it many hours without problems. If you do the full maintenance it is even in better condition but not perfect. If you have the time, you could do another maintenance and the status will get better.

Once again, great work there. :)

Still Marcel,

In realistic mode, it would be good to have "Fix All" button, that fixes everything fairly quickly, but does not clean the aircraft or remove special features. I simply do not have the time to maintain this awesome little plane unsure.gif

Craig :-)

14)

When loading her in "parked", I can't open the canopy by hand (mouse). The locks are open, but it doesn't move although I can see that hand symbol there.

Now, pressing Shift-E, the exit opens (of course) and I then can use the mouse to adjust it. Can anyone confirm this? :huh:

Having a problem now to place the pilot in the plane. The load screen shows the Copilot and some baggage, but no pilot. (Right) Clicking the seat triggers a short flash of the pilot, but he doesn't stay there and the seat remains empty.

Will try a setting reset.

From the FSX payload screen, the Pilot is there, but I can't see him on the Katana payload overview. No click action leads to success so far. But seems like a graphical problem only since the weight is there.

payload.th.jpg

Still Marcel,

In realistic mode, it would be good to have "Fix All" button, that fixes everything fairly quickly, but does not clean the aircraft or remove special features. I simply do not have the time to maintain this awesome little plane unsure.gif

Then fly it right from the outset. It is actually not that difficult. Reading the manual helps. There is also simple mode. The manual explains all.

By the way, If merging this thread into the initial release issue section helps, go ahead!

Sorry about posting an exclusive thing. :blush:

Nice shot, Ryan. Way better than my poor description.

I can see your CDI needle showing some deflection. Are you using the RXP unit or the tuned default GPS? (looks like default, from the knobs)

Just asking because mine still is static all the way (VLOC and GPS in RXP don't make a difference), but this may then be related to the RXP setup. Would be a clue then.

rxptest.th.jpg

The RXP recognizes the OBS Course (330) for example, so it is linked, somehow. But it can't get the needles to show some deflection. Also, a VOR can't do this when the plane is in the RXP mode. Static CDI needles, only the From/To arrow changes.

Marcel, does the OBS gauge have some custom feature which (maybe) prevents the needles to get driven when the RXP unit is active? I saw some fluctuation being build in on the Do27, that's why I'm asking.

Normally, the RXP units work well with all standard gauge functions of various CDIs on my planes.So I'm looking for the origin of the error now.

I've already altered some settings in the RXP config tool, but, to my knowledge, there isn't any active which would actually prevent the CDI needles from moving.

From trying out some things, I think that the faulty CDI doesn't come with the RXP unit, but with the "simple radio" setting.

I've loaded the plane with the default GPS and simple radios: no deflection possible. Triggered the realistic radios and got my CDI needles to move.

Now, once I've toggled through realistic, simple, realistic and simple again (=2 complete cycles), I can drive the CDI with the RXP or a valid VOR while staying at "simple". This looks like the current workaround to me.

Refining the procedure to get the CDI working when in simple mode:

Set radios to "realistic", turn on the radio unit, set them back to "simple". So no back and forth, but a defined startup sequence.

Seems like the radio unit always needs to be started in "realistic" to allow a CDI needle movement.

And some observation (it isn't of any use though).

Pressing the button for the spoilers (FSX default command) lets the whiskey compass shake. :lol:

I had tons of CTDs lately, but after investigating, the RXP unit seemed to have been the problem there, so no Katana fault. Deleting those RXP .mem files helped. Looks like a general fix for all RXP related problems if I remember Bert Pieke correctly.

And another wish. The tooltip for the altimeter only shows Kohlsman (a great guy), so you have to lean forward quite a bit to read the values for the pressure setting.

Even with TrackIR runnning, this isn't the easiest thing to to in some situations, so maybe the corresponding settings could show up in the tooltip, to allow a quick overview and operation when ATC gives you some QFE or something, where pressing "B" doesn't help.

Yes, the OBS knob would be a nice target too. :)

I wonder what this pen clickspot might trigger.

The VOR gauge will show the FSX default deviation, but the realistic radio will not let any other software nor hardware tune the stations. So it is why there is a separate simple/compatibility mode for the radios. ;)

No doubt there and surely well done simulation, but if I start the radio unit in simple, the CDI needles won't move at all, not with the RXP, nor a valid VOR. Only the startup in realistic does the trick then.

After starting in realistic (where you can tune and "see" some VOR), you can switch back to simple and everything works.

I would love to fly realistic only, but I'm tuning stations with some hardware to avoid the clickspots in the VC since the EZCA and TrackIR enables quite some movement in the cockpit. Hard to tune stations then, when you have to fly the bird and get that mouse over some clickspots.

By the way, the gauges on the Katana a really work of art in optics and smoothness.

I am not away all the days but only a few hours at home... :)

Thank you very much for the list. In fact I try to read the thread in the avsim forum from time to time.

Some points will be fixed as soon as possible, others may be considered and some will not be done, for example the raindrops (I checked if it is possible at the Katana and came to the conclusion that it isn't, sorry...) and the GNS430. Things will get to complex and I want to procceed my work on the Eclipse and the Porter in the near future. There is another kind of avionic that may find its way into the Katana cockpit... but it is too early to talk about it. ;)

As I mentioned some times before: If you have not the time to maintain the aircraft, just switch to one of the other modes for this or the next few flights. The realistic mode stands for work, investing time in servicing and maintenance but will be rewarded with some special features and some kind of thrill. :)

Marcel, when you mention the GNS 430, do you mean to say that there will be an update to support the RXP GNS430 in the panel? Or are you jsut refering to a fix for owners of only the 430 so they don't have to edit their panel.cfg?

... I would love to fly realistic only, but I'm tuning stations with some hardware to avoid the clickspots in the VC since the EZCA and TrackIR enables quite some movement in the cockpit. Hard to tune stations then, when you have to fly the bird and get that mouse over some clickspots.

By the way, the gauges on the Katana a really work of art in optics and smoothness.

CoolP, what U need to do is create an EZCA profile with some "radio/instrument" views with TIR disabled...

EZCA enables U to enable/disable TIR per view at will... U should take advantage of this feature.

This should take U about 5 minutes at most.

Still Marcel,

Plus one 1+

Marcel, when you mention the GNS 430, do you mean to say that there will be an update to support the RXP GNS430 in the panel? Or are you jsut refering to a fix for owners of only the 430 so they don't have to edit their panel.cfg?

I still didn't get an answer from RealityXP but this is understandable - we have holidays. If I have to remove the entry from the panel.cfg, the whole enabling/disabling in FSX is useless... :-(

No plans for the GNS 430.

CoolP, what U need to do is create an EZCA profile with some "radio/instrument" views with TIR disabled...

EZCA enables U to enable/disable TIR per view at will... U should take advantage of this feature.

This should take U about 5 minutes at most.

Ah, thanks. Surely a nice idea but I'm running some neat little hardware panel to switch freqs and stuff and I've tried the "extra view approach" on other planes already. Sadly, I was too slow there and got distracted too much, especially online where I wanted to keep some outside view and adjust things.

For me, the sim just isn't the same as reaching down to some real knobs and just checking the settings within some parts of a second. I have to drive some mouse pointer over the knobs, turn, maybe correct and so on.

May well be a personal inability of mine. As said, I'm happy with that "simple" option and my hardware (or the RXP) switches the freqs nicely while I just have to watch (and really grab) those knobs. But I appreciate your input there.

Wow, I just saw the fix list from Marcel. Impressive and fast work there!

I'm still getting some strange loadout when entering the sim. The payload screen of the Katana for example shows me the Pilot, his Co and some baggage. At the same time, the payload screen of FSX gives me a pilot only, at 50kg.

Turning the blue markings off and on in the Katana screen then enables the real load. After this off/on action FSX shows Pilot an Co with their correct weight and also the baggage station as active.

Can anybody confirm this? Takes a fresh FSX start.

• 2 weeks later...