Engine Limitations

Kimo

First I will have to say thank you for this outstanding aircraft. But i have a question about the engine is it 100 hp or 80hp?

Accordance official diamond flight manual it is a 100hp 912s3 engine but in the 4x da20 limitations manual it says 80hp 912s3?

Also rpm, oil press limitation are different.

You may not be aware of this, but Diamond never made a new-build 100 hp Katana. ALL 100-horse Katana's are factory-rebuilt refurbished and re-engined examples of the original 80-horse example.

Therefore the factory literature almost always details the 80hp example. IIRC a Supplemental, rather than separate, Type Approval certificate was issued for the DA20-100.

Perhaps this also explains things as I recall the manual of the examples I flew as being a `mish-mash` of 80- and 100- ?

You may not be aware of this, but Diamond never made a new-build 100 hp Katana. ALL 100-horse Katana's are factory-rebuilt refurbished and re-engined examples of the original 80-horse example.

Therefore the factory literature almost always details the 80hp example. IIRC a Supplemental, rather than separate, Type Approval certificate was issued for the DA20-100.

Perhaps this also explains things as I recall the manual of the examples I flew as being a `mish-mash` of 80- and 100- ?

Well i think you better go and read your books because according to wiki the Katana came out as the DA20-A1 Katana this was launched with the faithful 80 hp Rotax 912 engine

Right heres the interesting bit

It was also launched as a DA20-100 Katana it had the 100 HP rotax912s engine on board

so i think home work in order and if your really stuck heres the link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diamond_DA20

all the best

Craig

Actually, dear hart, I think YOU are the one in need of assistance if you rely on Wikipedia.

Straight from the horses mouth:

DIAMOND HISTORY

read `1999`.

Interestingly, and I hadn't realised this, the DA20-100 post-dated the DA20C-1 Eclipse with the Conti by a year.