Diamond DA20-100 Katana

Some more features? Nice work there and I'm exited about that unknown one of course.

Very useful setup there with the different status options and nice to read about the saved fuel state. Great service!

another one:

I was fiddling around with the oil and haven't been able to close the oil-access-door since then.

It will now fly around in the wind when in the air.

Everything else is closed.

Clicking on it either at "ground equipment" or directly on the oil page will not move the door.

If I click on it multiple times it will sometimes flicker but not move.

I can't do a screenshot right now, but if necessary I will do so later!

another one:

I was fiddling around with the oil and haven't been able to close the oil-access-door since then.

It will now fly around in the wind when in the air.

Everything else is closed.

Clicking on it either at "ground equipment" or directly on the oil page will not move the door.

If I click on it multiple times it will sometimes flicker but not move.

I can't do a screenshot right now, but if necessary I will do so later!

RIGHT click with mouse...

Marcel and Aerosoft

Thanks a lot for such amazing aircraft, it is great to see how the solutions for FSX limitations are possible (and a reality...)

So far no issues for me apart from the difficulty to trim the rudder. I really appreciate your effort and the way you have handle this initial issues for the rest of users.

Thanks for "Actual Status" information.

And looking forward for the new features stated,

Julio

Am I right with my assumption that the service pack will be available by using the Aerosoft launcher?

I was wondering why I had to install the launcher even though the Katana doesn't use it for activation. That would explain it. ;)

• Deputy Sheriffs

Well, I skipped the launcher installation - let's see where I can get my update from ;)

You will also get it from you shop account and/or from the "Update-Section", like all other updates.

Good Easter Monday!

After four flights without problems with this plane, I met a

today!

I-mode driver "realistic". I followed the discussions and

checklist but this is what happens:

After takeoff, climb, I have a message that tells me that FSX

"The mixture was depleted and this results in a loss of power,

press ctrl + x to continue ". I press these two keys and

nothing happens.

Hence, the engine stops and I lose altitude and crash it.

I start a flight and same story!

I looked in the manual of zinc and I have followed the checklist.

If you encountered this incident or if you have an idea on

good cause and thank you for helping me already.

Happy late Easter weekend.

Sorry for my english.

Mous (Pascal) near EBLG.

Thank you.

I may have encountered a similar issue. I wanted to confirm some assumptions with regards to time, distance, and fuel used to climb the other day and took off from KORS with the intention of leveling off at 5500ft. There was some cloud and rain present, but as I was operating with wide open throttle, I did not see a need for carb heat. Passing 3K, the aircraft started to loose power. Checked the fuel valve and turned the boost pump on to no avail. Added carb heat....nothing. Turned back and managed to dead-stick her back to a downwind landing at ORS. (Note: prop was barely windmilling at 70-80 kias. Not turning at all below 60 kias. As soon as the wheels hit the ground, the engine came back to life for a second and immediately shut back down. Wierd.) I sat on the runway for a couple minutes trying to troubleshoot the issue. I managed to get the engine to fire a few times upon attempting a restart but each time it immediately quit. I opened up the maintenance window and ran an inspection which showed nothing wrong with the plane. This was all the troubleshooting I managed to do before a landing AI 172 crashed into me and reset my flight! :mad: I attempted the flight again, this time leaving the boost pump on the entire time and applying the carb heat immediately after takeoff with the same result. I then departed into the pattern with the intent of staying below the weather and again the engine quit on downwind. This was the "N" registered Katana which, I understand has the carb heat mis-labeled and in the heat of the moment I may have been pulling the cabin heat, but I don't think carb icing was the problem based on my throttle settings. Everything is set to fully realistic and the auto mixture is off in FSX. Evidently, I have gotten pretty good at engine out landings and can happily report that the Katana glides very well. I do NOT recommend using landing flaps in an engine out situation though, as the approach profile approaches something akin to the Space Shuttle! Selecting takeoff flaps once you have the runway made works great!

I may have encountered a similar issue. I wanted to confirm some assumptions with regards to time, distance, and fuel used to climb the other day and took off from KORS with the intention of leveling off at 5500ft. There was some cloud and rain present, but as I was operating with wide open throttle, I did not see a need for carb heat. Passing 3K, the aircraft started to loose power. Checked the fuel valve and turned the boost pump on to no avail. Added carb heat....nothing. Turned back and managed to dead-stick her back to a downwind landing at ORS. (Note: prop was barely windmilling at 70-80 kias. Not turning at all below 60 kias. As soon as the wheels hit the ground, the engine came back to life for a second and immediately shut back down. Wierd.) I sat on the runway for a couple minutes trying to troubleshoot the issue. I managed to get the engine to fire a few times upon attempting a restart but each time it immediately quit. I opened up the maintenance window and ran an inspection which showed nothing wrong with the plane. This was all the troubleshooting I managed to do before a landing AI 172 crashed into me and reset my flight! :mad: I attempted the flight again, this time leaving the boost pump on the entire time and applying the carb heat immediately after takeoff with the same result. I then departed into the pattern with the intent of staying below the weather and again the engine quit on downwind. This was the "N" registered Katana which, I understand has the carb heat mis-labeled and in the heat of the moment I may have been pulling the cabin heat, but I don't think carb icing was the problem based on my throttle settings. Everything is set to fully realistic and the auto mixture is off in FSX. Evidently, I have gotten pretty good at engine out landings and can happily report that the Katana glides very well. I do NOT recommend using landing flaps in an engine out situation though, as the approach profile approaches something akin to the Space Shuttle! Selecting takeoff flaps once you have the runway made works great!

This might be related to the issue noted

HERE

Have you loaded the Katana from a previous flight where the mixture was set anywhere other than full?

Ctrl+Shift+F4 is the default keyboard command full rich mixture, IIRC. Might be worth trying that.

Hello,

I redid the same flight and in the same conditions.

I made ctrl+shift+f4 ( thank you Snave ). The message concerning the impoverished mixture appeared and the engine jammed before the takeoff.

I did not leave the game, I made maintenances and the checklist.

I was able to make my flight up to the landing and in spite of this message of wealth appeared about ten times, I no more had problems of engine.

Go to understand...

Good evening.

Pascal ( EBLG ).

one more thing:

Landing/Taxi-Lights:

- strong (default FSX) effect on the ground, but the "realistic" effect at the lights themselves (the bulbs)

Is that possible?

Oh and please keep thinking about improving the VC lighting at night =)

Thanks, Stefan

post-37517-0-36494800-1303851153_thumb.j

I cannot get the ASI, Altimeter, or VSI to function. I did the complete pre-flight walk-around, and removed all flags and tie-towns, and even cleaned the aircraft, but to no avail. I even did an inspection, and nothing cropped up as being faulty. What am I doing wrong. i also have the same thing with the engine lurching to a halt, and the towbar spped problem.

Craig.

Errrm, I have exactly the same problems. No ASI, no altimeter, no Vario, engine dies on approaches, no flaps... I have to say I am rather disappointed at a product that appears to have so many issues, or is it something I am doing wrong? If so, I would appreciate some guidance.

I am sorry Howard. The problem with those three instruments was a missing "}" and it is fixed. Will be available with a first service pack very soon. Other problems are caused by FSX and I hope we did find a solution for that.

On the other items you have to give me more details. Flaps and engine could be simulated faults, or perhabs a bad setting of your hardware.

Oh and please keep thinking about improving the VC lighting at night =)

Isn't the Katana only certified for daylight/fair weather flying? Maybe it doesn't have cockpit lights as such.

I'll go check...:)

Yep, there it is, lifted from the real manual.

katana.JPG

Isn't the Katana only certified for daylight/fair weather flying? Maybe it doesn't have cockpit lights as such.

I'll go check...:)

Yep, there it is, lifted from the real manual.

katana.JPG

That's... stupid (Diamond-wise) =P

Alright then... =D

Hello,

I redid the same flight and in the same conditions.

I made ctrl+shift+f4 ( thank you Snave ). The message concerning the impoverished mixture appeared and the engine jammed before the takeoff.

I did not leave the game, I made maintenances and the checklist.

I was able to make my flight up to the landing and in spite of this message of wealth appeared about ten times, I no more had problems of engine.

Go to understand...

Good evening.

Pascal ( EBLG ).

I strongly suggest you turn OFF those messages. What works as advice with default aircraft has no place with an advanced model such as this. Those messages are usually used by beginners.

Errrm, I have exactly the same problems. No ASI, no altimeter, no Vario, engine dies on approaches, no flaps... I have to say I am rather disappointed at a product that appears to have so many issues, or is it something I am doing wrong? If so, I would appreciate some guidance.

OS? System Specs? Sim variant? Operating in realistic or simple mode? Have you read ANY of the previous topics covering these issues? If so, what fixes have you tried? Default flight startup?

We can't help without the basics!

:)

I am sorry Howard. The problem with those three instruments was a missing "}" and it is fixed. Will be available with a first service pack very soon. Other problems are caused by FSX and I hope we did find a solution for that.

Thanks Marcel....

Here's just a small thing:

When switching on Avionics with RXP GNS530 installed, you can see a thin silver coloured frame appearing around the actual 3D 'mask' of the GPS. It disappears again when switching off Avionics. I guess that's the 2D RXP GNS530 gauge shining through, right? Maybe resizing of the 2D gauge fixes the issue. Also the clickspots on the 3D interface seem to be slightly misplaced, but that's really not too bad ;).

Another thing is the night lighting of the GPS unit. I don't know if the real Katana is equipped with that, but I actually have never seen a Garmin GPS (except the MS default one) without the caracteristical green night lighting of the buttons before.

But in my opinion there are more important issues to worry about first, e.g the night lighting in general, which is too dark at dark hours. Probably I am just a fusspot... :P

But in my opinion there are more important issues to worry about first, e.g the night lighting in general, which is too dark at dark hours. Probably I am just a fusspot... :P

I think the argument here was that the Katana is supposed to be flown only in VFR at DAY... (however weird that restriction may seem, most C152 can also be used at night...)

I still agree though. For me it's less about the light being too dark, but more about the color banding being tooooo prominent...

I know it's something about real light effects vs. bump maps, but maybe that's still something that could be enhanced.

My suggestion here:

- add another option to the lighting setting to switch the following off

- add optional gauge background lighting. this may be in RL restricted to modified Katanas, but should not be unrealistic

- add "lighted bezels" to the important switches

I'm not talking anything too exotic here, more like what you have in a car. If you use this kind of lighting you wouldn't need the "flood light" for the panel.

Btw, you can find a lot about Katanas being used for night VFR (not too surprising), so this isn't some "Sim-Kiddies" idea of a perfect plane ;-)

Diamond Homepage regarding Night VFR refit for the DA20

I'm not sure how tucked in you are in your developing future projects (I'm so looking forward to the Porter, a definite purchase =P ), and I don't know how much you consider this project "done" feature-wise.

But if you either can think about adding this for the Katana or could consider it for the Eclipse (together with an autopilot ;-) ), it'd be great.

Thanks, Stefan

P.S.:

One of the reasons why I'm so interested is that I love to fly on VATSIM. Now most of the time I won't be online before it's dark outside, leaving me with no other option (besides "cheating" the time of day) than flying at night.