Diamond DA20-100 Katana

None, are you offering ? lol...

I stand corrected if she slips like the real thing.

We haven't established that yet. Answer the other part of the question! :rolleyes:

None, are you offering ? lol...

I stand corrected if she slips like the real thing.

We haven't established that yet. Answer the other part of the question! :rolleyes:

And I can't offer to someone who doesn't exist. Your Profile is not complete so I have no idea where you are in the world or whether you are a wizened old flyer or some pre-pubescent looking to cadge a freebie. I don't fly with children. Or animals.

• Upvote 1

True, but some people can't contact FSX ATC when they need a freq that ends with .xx5. So your explanation is fine, but it won't help those people who can't contact ATC! ;) I haven't tested it myself but maybe the internal freqs of this virtual Katana don't handle the .xx5 as they should and actually turn it into x20 and .x70, unlike its real world counterpart

For me contacting EDDB tower on 120.02(5) works fine.

You need to set the radios to simple though. The "realistic" mode doesn't pass the values on to FSX (same with the transponder)

As I said to Marcel privately, this is possibly the most sophisticated add-on for FSX yet, certainly the most complex GA, and so far many of the `issues` reported are clearly the result of customers not applying the correct mindset...

If someone truly wants to buy something as detailed and in-depth as this and only apply the most superficial of approaches to using it, then they probably bought the wrong thing. But there's no qualifying for consuming other than the cash...

The problem is that this clouds the real and genuine issues that are being brought up, prevents proper cross-checking and verification - and provides a less enjoyable forum experience for those who want to treat the product with the sophistication it deserves.

The topic around us is the perfect example - is there a frequency select issue, or is it muppetry? Buggered if I know. :mad:

The only issue that was reported multiple times was the barely visible prop, which is different from most other addons, although it is fairly realistic.

This forum isn't there for you to scare new "pilots" away. Not everyone was born knowing everything there is.

This addon is one of the few that can lead new(ly interested) people to a more realistic flying, so there is a learning curve involved for many.

If you are bothered by the posts, just don't look.

I'm sure you can contact the developers more directly with your genuine bugs!...

I don't like flying with kiddies that much either, but I'd rather they ask their questions here and get some helpful answers instead of bashing around saying that the product sucks because they can't understand it and nobody want's to explain it.

I prefer that they ask here and not fly on VATSIM later on without knowing squash!

==> I understand your position, but please stay friendly or out of the discussion here!!

(as with my original sound issue post. You had no clue what my problem was and yet you assumed that I didn't either!)

Cheers and enjoy your Easter Sunday,

Stefan

• Upvote 1

You need to set the radios to simple though. The "realistic" mode doesn't pass the values on to FSX (same with the transponder)

The only issue that was reported multiple times was the barely visible prop, which is different from most other addons, although it is fairly realistic.

This forum isn't there for you to scare new "pilots" away. Not everyone was born knowing everything there is.

This addon is one of the few that can lead new(ly interested) people to a more realistic flying, so there is a learning curve involved for many.

If you are bothered by the posts, just don't look.

I'm sure you can contact the developers more directly with your genuine bugs!...

I don't like flying with kiddies that much either, but I'd rather they ask their questions here and get some helpful answers instead of bashing around saying that the product sucks because they can't understand it and nobody want's to explain it.

I prefer that they ask here and not fly on VATSIM later on without knowing squash!

==> I understand your position, but please stay friendly or out of the discussion here!!

(as with my original sound issue post. You had no clue what my problem was and yet you assumed that I didn't either!)

Cheers and enjoy your Easter Sunday,

Stefan

I was talking about real world flying Stefan. I teach kids (and adults) to ride motorcycles, safely operate quads and drive cars. I will not have them in the air in GA with me. Flying is the respite. And if I can choose a commercial flight without the whining brats, I will.

Bah! Humbug! :diablo_s::huh:

Hi Guys,

first of all - phantastic product. Love it and cannot wait for the Porter!

I am still having one big problem though.

I loaded the aircraft first time and found the GPS (RXP) did not work.

It seems to have power in that the lighting of the background subtly changes but no luck switching it on though...

I tried the elec fix and the little reset utility (I never had the other elec problem though, only the GPS would not work).

That made FSX crash on selecting the Katana.

I then reinstalled the aircraft and tried again with the new elec fix.

As discussed by others the first fix disabled clickspots on the RXP unit.

Still, I cannot get the GPS to work.

Everything else is fine and I do not get the 'loss of elec' problem for anything else.

When I move the cursor over the clickspot on the RXP unit the tooltips show me the on/off caption but alas no luck in turning it on.

I am quite lost as to what to do now (I tried all the other suggestions mentioned here - ctrl E, running the RXP configurator first, etc.).

Any suggestions?

Cheers

Anton

Hi there,

reinstalled RXP - problem solved.

Cheers

Slips exactly like the real one for me. FSX Settings mebbe? Hardware? NOT SURE. How much time in a Rotax-engined Katana do you have? NONE...

Hello Again,

After reading the manual a second time to confirm I was using the radios correctly I can confirm that in realistic mode it is not possible to tune certain frequencies for example 130.425 at Halton (EGWN). The frequency is displayed as 130.42 in the radio window and you cannot talk to the FSX ATC as it does not seem to recognise the frequency as being tuned. The radio does however work perfectly in simple mode.

Many thanks

David

• Upvote 1

Hello Again,

After reading the manual a second time to confirm I was using the radios correctly I can confirm that in realistic mode it is not possible to tune certain frequencies for example 130.425 at Halton (EGWN). The frequency is displayed as 130.42 in the radio window and you cannot talk to the FSX ATC as it does not seem to recognise the frequency as being tuned. The radio does however work perfectly in simple mode.

Many thanks

David

The problem is that the realistic COM unit as well as the transponder operate "outside of FSX". They will not pass the value on to FSX itself which is also why those modes are not compatible with external hardware.

However, I don't have any clue why it was designed this way ... =P

They are made that way because the aircraft simulates the entire electrical system of the real aircraft, and does so with persistent damage modelling, operating parameters and failure modes that are not serviced by FSX.

I think the guys are wondering why the setup itself was designed so realistic while not enabling the pilot to get his desired freqs into FSX to e. g. listen to the ATIS or, when flying online, tune the necessary stations.

Nobody will point the thumb down for increased realism, but if this realism stops you from using the sim (in that ATC chapter) the comments are reasonable in my eyes.

There always is the simple option of course, but isn't it sad to leave that nice extra realism work behind then?

• Upvote 1

In real life there are the following frequencies (except in the "world of 8.33", which doesn't concern us in a Katana)

frequency => shown as

xxx.x00 => xxx.x0

xxx.x25 => xxx.x2

xxx.x50 => xxx.x5

xxx.x75 => xxx.x7

Most of the time (if you're not flying with high-end equipment) you will get a display that shows the right column, although internally it does set the frequencies in the left column.

Since there is no .x20 or .x70 there is not chance of using the wrong frequency!

If you're using higher end equipment (or if you want to fly above FL195 in most countries) you will need a com-unit with 8.33khz spacing. Those show one more digit, but that's a whole other story =)

Thank you for explaining that.

I'm sorry if I've bothered anyone with my questions. I'm 18 years old and have about 8 years of flight sim experience, but this one confused me.

Simon, I have agreed with you on many things in the past, and I honestly respect you for "getting it right, being blunt but honest." But I don't see any harm in politely asking a question, no matter how foolish it may seem to more experienced people. After all, don't forget about this:

I, er, did have a problem once where I complained about the nonsensical engine sounds in a (non-Aerosoft) model, only to belatedly realise the incorrect turboprop sounds for the little GA were actually caused in my sim by the AI C208 starting up two parking bays down... :blush:

We've all been there.;) No hard feelings, Simon.

Hi,

I was just wondering why does the radio work on some frequencies and not others if its modeled ouside of FSX and is there a planned fix for this or is it just one of those things due to the limitations of FSX???

David

Hi,

I was just wondering why does the radio work on some frequencies and not others if its modeled ouside of FSX and is there a planned fix for this or is it just one of those things due to the limitations of FSX???

David

Not sure I understand the question. The radios work on all frequencies encountered in the sim. The difficulty seems to be tuning them. For some people.

Are you actually having this problem? If so then list your computer specs, how you have the Katana setup at the moment, and what you are doing to try to initiate the frequency that you think is unobtainable? Simple mode should allow correct functionality in the FSX-stylee. Are you saying you are having a problem with that, too?

I thought that was odd as-well. Glad to see you got it Patrick.

On the Tecnam I fly which has a rotax engine the propoller stops almost instantly... But I didn't have time to install the DA20...

Finishing to prepare my theoretical PPL exam...

Good Easter Monday!

After four flights without problems with this plane, I met a

today!

I-mode driver "realistic". I followed the discussions and

checklist but this is what happens:

After takeoff, climb, I have a message that tells me that FSX

"The mixture was depleted and this results in a loss of power,

press ctrl + x to continue ". I press these two keys and

nothing happens.

Hence, the engine stops and I lose altitude and crash it.

I start a flight and same story!

I looked in the manual of zinc and I have followed the checklist.

If you encountered this incident or if you have an idea on

good cause and thank you for helping me already.

Happy late Easter weekend.

Sorry for my english.

Mous (Pascal) near EBLG.

Thank you.

Then turn off the tooltips and go fly! As stated in the manual the aircraft has its own automixture control.

It's not JUST a toolbar notification issue, because he says he crashes after the message... If it was just a toolbar notification you could ignore, you shouldn't crash. ;) Apart from that I have no idea (of course) what's the problem here.... ^_^

Don't forget that for a regular simmer (so someone who knows NOTHING about the inner workings of a plane) it's hard to figure out what's a simulated failure and what's an error due to bad piloting and what possibly might be a bug...! Luckily I didn't have any bad things happening to me during a flight, apart from a flickering GEN light, that didn't really have any consequences. But I do have the manuals close by (specially the emergency procedures) to see what messages might be caused by what failure: something I never had to do before and also something that's rather exciting...! In all my years of FS-simming I never looked that much at the various temp and pressure guages as during the last few days...! :D Very exciting stuff.

• Upvote 1

Hello,

With regard to radio problem. I am running FSX in a standard config with no third party air traffic addons although I am using edit voice pack. I have the following problem.

With the aircraft and avionics in "realistic mode", I can tune any frequency in the frequency window and hit the flip flop switch to make it the active frequency. With certain airfields I can talk to the FSX air traffic using the menu once I have manually tuned the radio frequency. When I tune certain radio frequencies for example 130.42(5) although I have the correct frequency tuned the FSX air traffic system does not allow me to transmit. Its almost like I have the incorrect frequency tuned.

When I use the radios in simple mode I have no problems.

I was wondering if this is an FSX limitation with the realism settings or is this a minor glitch which may or may not be able to be fixed.

Many thanks

David

Ps I have just tuned 130.42(5) at Halton (EGWN) in the Katana and switched aircraft to the default cessna. The Cessna shows a frequency of 130.43 tuned. Could this possibly be a graphical error????

It's not JUST a toolbar notification issue, because he says he crashes after the message... If it was just a toolbar notification you could ignore, you shouldn't crash. ;) Apart from that I have no idea (of course) what's the problem here.... ^_^

Don't forget that for a regular simmer (so someone who knows NOTHING about the inner workings of a plane) it's hard to figure out what's a simulated failure and what's an error due to bad piloting and what possibly might be a bug...! Luckily I didn't have any bad things happening to me during a flight, apart from a flickering GEN light, that didn't really have any consequences. But I do have the manuals close by (specially the emergency procedures) to see what messages might be caused by what failure: something I never had to do before and also something that's rather exciting...! In all my years of FS-simming I never looked that much at the various temp and pressure guages as during the last few days...! :D Very exciting stuff.

How do we know the crash isn't simply caused by pitot failure? Oil filter failure? Fuel pump failure? Sundry other failures? We don't...

We simply do not have enough to go on to make any kind of realistic assessment. Our poster is basing his value judgement on the messages appearing on-screen, messages which are singularly inappropriate for ANY advanced simulation which has large numbers of parameters working outside of the default code in FSX. Turning off these messages should be a primary function for a sophisticated simmer - indeed they might be said to define the target customer for products such as this.

For all we know, we'd all have the same message if we had the neanderthal help function turned on.

My concern here is not for software, but for the competence level of the user. I am yet to be convinced there is a problem. Evidence is the proof, not idle speculation. Is the crash related to the message?

I certainly don't know. Yet. Let's examine further, elucidate and clarify.

After reading the manual a second time to confirm I was using the radios correctly I can confirm that in realistic mode it is not possible to tune certain frequencies for example 130.425 at Halton (EGWN).

It seems that I could fix that. At least I am standing at EGWN and can use the radio in realistic mode... ;)