Diamond DA20-100 Katana

Just tested this little plane in a short local flight.

It's awesome! I particularly like the stall warning sound: I've finally found an fsx aircraft with a realistic stall warning, since it starts to be audible 5-10 knots before stall speed, and not AT the stall speed (like 99% of FSX aircrafts out there). Note that I've never flown DA20, but only DA40 in real life, however stall warning system is the same type.

And now let's talk about the issue: I use RXP 530, I think that clickspots for outer knob and inner knob are a bit misplaced.

However, great work Marcel! ;)

I'm also having clickspot issues. The clickspots for both the GPS and the comms inner knobs are very tiny.

I tried typing in a fix in the default GPS and it was nearly impossible because apparently I keep clicking on the push function of the GPS knob.

• Aerosoft

I'm also having clickspot issues. The clickspots for both the GPS and the comms inner knobs are very tiny.

I tried typing in a fix in the default GPS and it was nearly impossible because apparently I keep clicking on the push function of the GPS knob.

Is this the same when you look at it from a slightly different angle? I don't see that problem here.

Is this the same when you look at it from a slightly different angle? I don't see that problem here.

I tried to rotate the knobs from the standard vc view. Screen resolution 1920x1080, no widescreen enabled in fsx.cfg.

The towbar function doesn't seem to work for me. When I click on the circular icon and slowly drag the mouse forward nothing happens at first, but when I move the mouse forward a bit more the aircraft suddenly lurches forward in a big jolt (probably around 60-80 knots), getting airborne a bit and then getting damaged when hitting the ground again. Tiedowns and chocks were positively removed and the parking brake released as well. I tried it several times in different sessions. The result was always the same.

Oh, and less of an issue but more of a question: when I shut down the engine the propeller stops instanly without the least bit of residual motion, as if the whole engine seized up. Is that how it is on the real aircraft? It strikes me as a bit odd.

Oh, and less of an issue but more of a question: when I shut down the engine the propeller stops instanly without the least bit of residual motion, as if the whole engine seized up. Is that how it is on the real aircraft? It strikes me as a bit odd.

I thought that was odd as-well. Glad to see you got it Patrick.

I cannot get the ASI, Altimeter, or VSI to function. I did the complete pre-flight walk-around, and removed all flags and tie-towns, and even cleaned the aircraft, but to no avail. I even did an inspection, and nothing cropped up as being faulty. What am I doing wrong. i also have the same thing with the engine lurching to a halt, and the towbar spped problem.

Craig.

But the ASI VSI, and Altimeter DO work in instructor mode, but display exactly the same bahavior when I fail the pitot tube and static port............................

Craig.

I cannot get the ASI, Altimeter, or VSI to function. I did the complete pre-flight walk-around, and removed all flags and tie-towns, and even cleaned the aircraft, but to no avail. I even did an inspection, and nothing cropped up as being faulty. What am I doing wrong. i also have the same thing with the engine lurching to a halt, and the towbar spped problem.

Craig.

Hi Craig,

I have had issues with most of these that you have had i personally after finding these issues completely rebooted my pc and all but the towbar speed issue was resolved. I am running win 7 64bit and i must say after the reboot i was in awe of this little plane and ive tested a few . Mathijs if you need help on the towbar speed issues then

contact me but just one question will there be a paint kit released?

Good work guys love it

regards

Craig Hobson

I seem to be experiencing the same problem every time I use the Katana so far, namely that after a while (guessing 10-15 mins) I lose functionality of: Artifical horizon, GPS screen goes blank (but seems to have power), no longer able to transmit/receive on the radio and flaps become inoperative. It's almost as if these systems are no longer receiving power, but I do have the battery/gen switches ON and the volts remain within the green band on. After landing each time I have checked through the systems and have experiencd to reports of problems and I am also unable to restart the engines after having shut down. The only way I can return things to normal is to reload the aircraft in FSX.

I installed the package by right-clicking the install icon as selecting the administrator option, no problems experienced during installation. The installation was the default for the package.

All requests to allow gauges etc. to be allowed were done so in FSX during the intial use of the aircraft.

The aircraft was loaded from the menu system before launching into the game environment.

I performed the pre flight checks and dealt with any issues prior to starting-up and flying.

Other add-ons include Orbx Scenery, Ultimate Traffic 2, REX (including the weather engine), FSPassengers (not used at the time), EzDok and TrackIR 5.

Any suggestions as to what I am either doing wrong or what the problem(s) may be and preferably how to get this issue resolved.

Actually, I have just had a thought - I seem to remember having a very similar issue with the DO-27 with regards to the apparent loss of power (battery appears to be drained) very much as if the geneator is not actually working. :(

I hope this issue can be resolved as this is looking to be a very promiosing package. Any help very much appreciated. :)

I seem to be experiencing the same problem every time I use the Katana so far, namely that after a while (guessing 10-15 mins) I lose functionality of: Artifical horizon, GPS screen goes blank (but seems to have power), no longer able to transmit/receive on the radio and flaps become inoperative. It's almost as if these systems are no longer receiving power, but I do have the battery/gen switches ON and the volts remain within the green band on. After landing each time I have checked through the systems and have experiencd to reports of problems and I am also unable to restart the engines after having shut down. The only way I can return things to normal is to reload the aircraft in FSX.

I installed the package by right-clicking the install icon as selecting the administrator option, no problems experienced during installation. The installation was the default for the package.

All requests to allow gauges etc. to be allowed were done so in FSX during the intial use of the aircraft.

The aircraft was loaded from the menu system before launching into the game environment.

I performed the pre flight checks and dealt with any issues prior to starting-up and flying.

Other add-ons include Orbx Scenery, Ultimate Traffic 2, REX (including the weather engine), FSPassengers (not used at the time), EzDok and TrackIR 5.

Any suggestions as to what I am either doing wrong or what the problem(s) may be and preferably how to get this issue resolved.

Actually, I have just had a thought - I seem to remember having a very similar issue with the DO-27 with regards to the apparent loss of power (battery appears to be drained) very much as if the geneator is not actually working. :(

I hope this issue can be resolved as this is looking to be a very promiosing package. Any help very much appreciated. :)

Hi there

just a question if you open the workshop tab are any of the icons as in parts of the aircraft an orange colour when these issues occur?

rgrds

Craig

Try to click the side faces of the knobs, not the front face which is the push function. ;)

The towbar function doesn't seem to work for me.

I am sorry that on some systems the towbar function seems to be buggy. We try do find a solution but that will need some time because we have to get rid of the FSX functions. Thanks for understanding! :blush:

Yes, it is realistic. I had a very nice stop animation which had to be removed during the beta phase as the real pilots criticized this item. And in fact, on my video recordings, the propeller stands suddenly.

I lose functionality of: Artifical horizon, GPS screen goes blank (but seems to have power), no longer able to transmit/receive on the radio and flaps become inoperative.

Could you please check the aircraft.cfg to contain following line:

electric_always_available = 1

Could you please check the aircraft.cfg to contain following line:

electric_always_available = 1

I have just checked and yes that line is present in the aircraft.cfg file.

I beleive his may be an issue with my default flight in FSX as after a while of this problem occuring in my last flight I pressed ctrl+E and found everything came back to life, i.e. the aircraft systems working as expected again. In short this does not appear to be a problem with the aircraft but a problem with my default flight - which if I remember correctly I created by having my start location as Hobart in Tasmania with the default 172. I believe I shut the aircraft down before saving this as my default flight, I suspect this is where the problem lies. I guess I need a lesson in creating a cold & dark default flight - anyuone care to point me in the right direction? :blush:

Really liking this plane! :D

I am sorry that on some systems the towbar function seems to be buggy. We try do find a solution but that will need some time because we have to get rid of the FSX functions. Thanks for understanding! :blush:

No pressure. Although it would be a good feature to have it doesn't impair the operation of the aircraft at all. ;)

Yes, it is realistic. I had a very nice stop animation which had to be removed during the beta phase as the real pilots criticized this item. And in fact, on my video recordings, the propeller stands suddenly.

Good to know, thank you. Guess I'm just to used to propellers doing a couple of revolutions after engine shutdown from larger aircraft/engines.

anyuone care to point me in the right direction? :blush:

As opposed to what I've learned before it seems to be better to make a default flight with the battery and generator switches in the on position. That isn't exactly cold&dark but solves a few problems. Come to think of it I had a similar problem in the Flight Replicas Super Cub, if you remember. I got an electrical failure there as well unless I would press CTRL+E to bring the electrical system online even though there weren't any switches for them in the Super Cub.

Hey guys,

a repost from this thread (which can be closed, didn't see this subforum):

first of all: awesome product =)

I've been a fan of the similar work of A2A (in terms of keeping the same airplane and collecting hours on the same airframe) and always wanted this to be applied to something more modern.

One thing I've noted so far, is that there is a little "sound issue".

Let me describe it

- appears from idle to ~25-30% (then fades away)

- ~2 second rythm

- "primarily" from the left (VC, looking forward) - but this may be an illusion

- clicking-noise, not very prominent, but very audible, especially when you've noticed it and know it's there

=> seems to be some maybe not so well cut sound file that loops every 2 seconds and has some white noise at the end (or beginning).

If you could look into this, I'd appreciate it!

Thanks again,

Stefan

• Upvote 1

I did make a post in the wrong swection as well:

here the repost:

Hi All,

what a beautifull plane you have published. But, the prop lever seems to be a little bit rusty. I do all my controls through FSUIPC but whatever I try in the settings menu. I can't get it to move. is it a bug, or am I doing something wrong?

edit: after ten minutes of normal flight. The katana turns into a Atlantis spaceshuttle. it rockets vertical in the sky and the gps goes black... whatever I try to do with the stick, it recovers itself going vertically...

Jan

Hey guys,

a repost from this thread (which can be closed, didn't see this subforum):

first of all: awesome product =)

I've been a fan of the similar work of A2A (in terms of keeping the same airplane and collecting hours on the same airframe) and always wanted this to be applied to something more modern.

One thing I've noted so far, is that there is a little "sound issue".

Let me describe it

- appears from idle to ~25-30% (then fades away)

- ~2 second rythm

- "primarily" from the left (VC, looking forward) - but this may be an illusion

- clicking-noise, not very prominent, but very audible, especially when you've noticed it and know it's there

=> seems to be some maybe not so well cut sound file that loops every 2 seconds and has some white noise at the end (or beginning).

If you could look into this, I'd appreciate it!

Thanks again,

Stefan

Sounds like the fuel pump. Have you turned it OFF after startup per the NORMAL OPERATION manual?

I did make a post in the wrong swection as well:

here the repost:

Hi All,

what a beautifull plane you have published. But, the prop lever seems to be a little bit rusty. I do all my controls through FSUIPC but whatever I try in the settings menu. I can't get it to move. is it a bug, or am I doing something wrong?

edit: after ten minutes of normal flight. The katana turns into a Atlantis spaceshuttle. it rockets vertical in the sky and the gps goes black... whatever I try to do with the stick, it recovers itself going vertically...

Jan

Can't help with the former - assuming you are using the Settings options correctly, but for the latter, that's a classic symptom of not using a default flight as a startup scenario for the sim. ALWAYS start the sim with a default aircraft, THEN switch to a sophisticated model. From there you can save a flight, alter the settings, but clearly you have a battery issue causing the GPS to go dark, and that has one cause and one cause alone.

Sounds like the fuel pump. Have you turned it OFF after startup per the NORMAL OPERATION manual?

Hi Simon,

nope the fuel pump sounds different (very fast "tack-tack..."-sound).

The sound I mean is repeated once every 2 seconds and sounds more like some background noise thing wasn't cut cleanly...

HOWEVER, right now I can't reproduce it anymore... maybe it's only there when you switch to the Katana from another aircraft in the sim... I don't know exactly...

As this only occurs (apparently from time to time) in idle - the state I spend the least time in =P - and seems to be not reproducible at this time, maybe this is just some minor thing...

But, the prop lever seems to be a little bit rusty. I do all my controls through FSUIPC but whatever I try in the settings menu. I can't get it to move. is it a bug, or am I doing something wrong?

1. Did you choose the right Prop Lever mode under the settings of the Katana? SHIFT+3 > SETTINGS > PROP LEVER (FSUIPC)

2. FSUIPC > AXIS ASSIGNMENT > Send to FS as normal axis > 4X DA20-100: L:LEVER PROPELLER PITCH Set

3. Ensure that there is no other Prop Lever asignment in FSX controls or via FSUIPC

Did this solve the problem?

Hi Simon,

nope the fuel pump sounds different (very fast "tack-tack..."-sound).

The sound I mean is repeated once every 2 seconds and sounds more like some background noise thing wasn't cut cleanly...

HOWEVER, right now I can't reproduce it anymore... maybe it's only there when you switch to the Katana from another aircraft in the sim... I don't know exactly...

As this only occurs (apparently from time to time) in idle - the state I spend the least time in =P - and seems to be not reproducible at this time, maybe this is just some minor thing...

Thought: It wasn't a nearby aircraft by any chance? I, er, did have a problem once where I complained about the nonsensical engine sounds in a (non-Aerosoft) model, only to belatedly realise the incorrect turboprop sounds for the little GA were actually caused in my sim by the AI C208 starting up two parking bays down... :blush: