Multiplayer Thermal Discrepancies

Bulau

Peter, we had a chance to get some screenshots of this. In the course of testing multiplayer missions with my friend DC, we noticed that we were not seeing the same thermal clouds in same locations. This was very perplexing, since the mission included a .CMX file, and also ensures we both spawn at exactly the same time. Initially we though it was because he has the UTX add-on scenery, so we repeated the test with that disabled.

We had an airspawn, so landed, turned off Competition Mode, then made top down screenshots. You can see there is some matchups, but a lot of discrepancies. Can't figure this out and don't know how to approach it from here. Also both using FSX, multiplayer direct IP.

post-36204-0-59843900-1303271361_thumb.j

post-36204-0-96709600-1303271377_thumb.j

You can see there is some matchups, but a lot of discrepancies. Can't figure this out and don't know how to approach it from here. Also both using FSX, multiplayer direct IP.

Hi,

are some of you using FSX Acceleration and others FSX-SP2?

regards,

Peter

Well, you know...I will have to double check, but that might be the case. My brother and I both have the Gold Edition, which includes the AP, so two of us have FSX+AP. My friend DC is a long time user of FSX, so I know that he had installed originally, FSX+SP2, but my recollection, at the time we were all installing CumulusX! and gliders, was that he uninstalled his SP2 and instead applied the AP, but I will have to ask him again.

I do recall that my brother and I were pleasantly surprised that CumulusX! did not crash under the AP, as your instructions suggest it might, so I'm aware of your explanation that the AP has its own version of SP2, which is not the same as standalone SP2. Is this likely culprit? (different SimConnect version?)

We both have not had any problems running it...except for these thermal discrepancies, which we don't always have or notice.

I do recall that my brother and I were pleasantly surprised that CumulusX! did not crash under the AP, as your instructions suggest it might, so I'm aware of your explanation that the AP has its own version of SP2, which is not the same as standalone SP2. Is this likely culprit? (different SimConnect version?)

Well, first of all a part of CumulusX! thermal decision procedure goes haywire in FSX-X, which means, that even among Acceleration users, thermals may not coincide (except from plain flat landscape). A patch is under construction and will be released during the next days.

Indeed, my initial idea was that SimConnect version of FSX-X is different from FSX-SP2. Actually this is not. By incidence it turned out, that the recommended procedure of uninstallung FSX-X, installing dotnet 2.0, installing and uninstalling FSX-SP2 and reinstalling FSX-X solves the problem which leads to the explanation. The procedure was developed in the old days, when Windows XP was dominating the landscape. Actually, uninstalling FSX-X, installing Dotnet 2.0 and reinstalling FSX-X would have done the job either.

Truly, FSX-X SimConnect is not different from SP2, but both require the DotNet installed on the system before FSX-SP2 or -X is installed, to be properly registered with the library.

Since Vista DotNet 2.0 is included in the OS from the shelf, so this error has disappeared entirely for newer Windows versions, regardless if FSX-SP2 or FSX-X is installed. So your experience, that CumulusX! works with your FSX-X without any preparation work is absolutely in line with the technicalities of the error.

Cheers,

Peter

OK. My brother and I have XP, however we both had dotNET (probably 3.5) installed for other reasons prior to FSX, so that explains why CX! works at all for us. Same for DC, originally, though I think he is now Win7x64.

Sounds like you are saying the thermal discrepancy is separate issue from that. Now that I think, it seems my brother and I have occasionally had discrpancy, both of us with AP. Will your patch fix this regardless of AP or SP2 installed? I.e. FSX Multiplayer with a mix of AP and SP2 users.

Correct the SP2/DotNet issue has nothing to do with inconsistency.

I cannot speculate about all the potential differences between FSX2 and FSXX in multiplayer sessions, but as far as CumulusX! is concerned it should work equally after the patch.

Cheers,

Peter

• 3 weeks later...

Hiya everybody at SOAR

The 'Peter Patch' works.

Over at the UKVGA, we are using Peter's new CumulusX upgrade for our multiplayer soaring tasks with great success and deep joy.

We who have Acceleration are now seeing the same thermal-scape and the close-quarter combat in thermals is very enjoyable.

Thanks to Peter for the patch.

Best wishes, and keep a good look-out!

Phil

• 2 weeks later...