Online flying

Tobus

I do fly online, IVAO or VATSIM. Mostly IVAO at the moment because it is the only one running carefree outside of FS.

FSInn is creating problems ever since I installed UTX so I don't fly VATSIM at the moment.

VAe never worked for me.

Gamespy is a security no-no for me.  

So since there is a relationship between IVAO and Aerosoft I am hoping for Andrasfield on IVAO.  

Kasper

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm on tonight guys, I think to about 20:00 UTC (22:00 Amsterdam time). Maybe I can help with the VAE client issues too.

@ Kasper: Why is gamespy a no no for you? You don't have to have Gamespy Arcade installed to use the FSX ingame Gamespy thingy. You just need an account, that's it.

TOby - gamespy according to some folk attracts a lot of undesireable types, you know apparently the type that hack. Though In my 15 yrs use of gamespy Ive never been or know anyone whos been hacked

Hmm, never heard of that. I know Gamespy Arcade is a mallware and spyware spreader worse than the plague, but never anything my virusscanner couldn't block.

Oh well. I don't fear it. Plenty of security and periodic images on this side of the router ;-)

Was online from 17:30Z to 19:45Z. Did some nice flying in the waning daylight with the DA Katana and my trusty RealAir taildraggers... Alone, but had fun!

I'll try to be online tonight, but don't know at what time and for how long.

Yes, we do. But as said: it is toooo quiet on VAE. Not just us, worldwide. Look here and search for flights on the server.

Oh, and I am flying right now, but both VAE server as TS3 server are down, no answer. Site says all is running?

I'm setting up a Gamespy server under the Flight Training Lobby. I might not be around myself, but see if you can share in my cockpit of my Bushhawk X.

I feel like being a hooligan this evening so I'm teleporting myself from Lelystad back to Andras and getting out the Spit to beat up the airfield!

Yup, the servers are down - no teamspeak, no flight server....:(

I feel like being a hooligan this evening so I'm teleporting myself from Lelystad back to Andras and getting out the Spit to beat up the airfield!

Yup, the servers are down - no teamspeak, no flight server....:(

Is anyone game for a try in Gamespy? Ill create a session called "Andras Field" in "Flight Training" password is "af"

Is anyone game for a try in Gamespy? Ill create a session called "Andras Field" in "Flight Training" password is "af"

Trying: invalid password

edit: ah, "AF"...

VAE is looking very forlorn at the moment - the map shows no-one connected, the forums are largely deserted and haven't been updated in a while.

Yea I see no updates in their forums either.

Toby and I connected to Gamespy - as you can see - last night. We both tried to make a session and joined the others. Both way worked fine. The shared cockpit, we did not get to work though, but we didn´t have so much time. Tests must be run on that thing ASAP....

And a 24/7 Gamespy session - that might just be the right way to go. I feel that more and more.

Toby.

I agree, mostly about the VAE server. Its fairly easy, but I am not thrilled about the frequent updates to it though.

We keep updating from feedback that we are getting from the people who use it. Honestly updating is very simple and can be done in less then 5 mins in most cases. You have to look at it this way, we are the new guys on the block when it comes to flight servers the server has issues im not going to sugar coat that but just need to give it time it will progress and blossom in to what it was designed to be.

Yea I see no updates in their forums either.

Toby and I connected to Gamespy - as you can see - last night. We both tried to make a session and joined the others. Both way worked fine. The shared cockpit, we did not get to work though, but we didn´t have so much time. Tests must be run on that thing ASAP....

And a 24/7 Gamespy session - that might just be the right way to go. I feel that more and more.

We are still here.

We are still here.

Robert.

I know you are still here - and thanks for that.

Problem is that in Andras Field, it becomes more and more evident that AF and VAE might not be the right combination.

When we started out our partnership, it was with a certain idea of the size of it all. I thought we could have - at least 20-30 pilots flying around in the AF/VAE universe - having ATC up and everything - but my hopes were waaay too high. Mostly when a pilot is online via VAE - he is alone.

So people try different approaches to their online flying, and noone can blame them for doing so. I have spent much time - as I stated above - trying to quell any even remotely tried rebellion of the AF/VAE partnership, but this time I have let it go on, and even blown gently to the flame - because it´s time to see if other ideas could accommodate us better.

The main issue here, from what I see, is that there are two options in each their end of the scale.

In one end we have the big online providers VATSIM/IVAO, with lots and lots of flying going on - you are never alone, but with the disadvantages that Andras Field is fictional, and we keep thinking that we can never be a part, because of that - but we never approached them, so.....

In the other end we have Gamespy - where the main rooms are so crowded with 8 year old "pilots" crashing into everything they possibly can - and frequent disconnects. And with the same emptiness as in VAE - if you create your own session. BUT with the wonderful shared cockpit as a huge advantage to its benefit. Also without any external programs needed - and with no updates of programs. Only using what every FSX owner have in the package. that´s "keep it simple" taken to the max.

And in the middle is VAE - who has none of the advantages that the two above mentioned providers have. You do not have mates to fly with - and you cannot fly shared cockpit.

As I said - if we had had 20-30 pilots up around at all times - then it would not have been a problem - and I´m sure that everyone would have been satisfied, but as it is now - we need to think in other terms, for our own sake, and to try to revive the online flying in Andras Field

So it´s not that you do a bad job, its not that I don´t like you - but the parameters that we set out on - when I voted for AF/VAE partnershop - simply dosen´t hold true - and this we need to take into consideration.

This is the reason - or these are the reasons - that I allow, and even encourage talk of ways to have online flying now.

What we also need to take into consideration also, is server availablitiy. Its a complete and utter PITA to spend time organising events only for the servers to be down. I know full well that servers do go down and not a lot can be done about that, its just the nature of the beast. We defaintely need something all AF users can use with minimal faffing around. Personally Im for tryign to get us onto IVAO. Failing that Gamespy, though I suggest if we go the route of gamespy we password protect the session.

What we also need to take into consideration also, is server availablitiy. Its a complete and utter PITA to spend time organising events only for the servers to be down. I know full well that servers do go down and not a lot can be done about that, its just the nature of the beast. We defaintely need something all AF users can use with minimal faffing around. Personally Im for tryign to get us onto IVAO. Failing that Gamespy, though I suggest if we go the route of gamespy we password protect the session.

Matt. Every server in the world has downtime. Aerosoft´s serves have been down quite a bit the last 6 months. Yes I know they swapped to something new now, but downtime IS a part of life.

- and IVAO is NOT in reach without "faffing around" If I get the word correctly.

Bottom line is that I don´t think the problem lies with VAE - it lies with US. Andras Field, and what we need from an online provider. I don´t know if IVAO is the answer. That we need to discuss with the users I believe. Do they want the whole "realistic" package from IVAO (IF we can get them to recognize AF that is) OR do people want the faffing-free version as in Gamespy.

That´s MY view on things. wink.gif