Online flying

Tobus

I've been away for about a month from online flying due to a dying harddrive, but everything seems to be smoothed out now.

@ another pc in the household, from no and then I've been monitoring the VAE flightserver, and well, I wasn't exactly thrilled at the attendance.

For me personally, a big part of the Andras Field community is flying together "for real". Who here is flying online, be it with VAE, or somewhere else?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been away for about a month from online flying due to a dying harddrive, but everything seems to be smoothed out now.

@ another pc in the household, from no and then I've been monitoring the VAE flightserver, and well, I wasn't exactly thrilled at the attendance.

For me personally, a big part of the Andras Field community is flying together "for real". Who here is flying online, be it with VAE, or somewhere else?

I think a lot of usual pilots are in the "Round the world tour"

I think a lot of usual pilots are in the "Round the world tour"

Thank you Kaspis29, for the explanation, but the truth is a little harder I believe.

I have learned that a huge majority of FSX pilots never ever fly online, and even though you would think that when people get involved in a community like Andras Field, then they would also fly online - or you could say that it would be online flying pilots who would be interested in Andras Field, but its not like that at all. This we can clearly see. We have sold about 75-80 plots now, and we have no more online people now, than we did after 5-10 plot sales.

This leads me to conclude that most people want a plot in Andras Field, to have their name on a sign, in their own FSX - and why not? That IS kind of cool, and we did not include any "you got to be online once a day, and fly online once a week" clause when we started selling plots.

But it IS sad that the VAE servers are almost always empty. The bigger online presence we can get, the bigger online presence we can get..... and vice versa. I know that I have not done nearly as many online events as I ought to - being one of the mainly off-line pilots myself. I love Andras Field, and the online part of it - but for me its mostly the forum community that has grabbed me by the heart. I WILL improve, this I have promised myself, but AFTER the RTWC....

yes, a lot of us are in the world tour. but i "beam" myself regularly back to EAFS or EDDH to fly online. but i have to confess that i usually use IVAO because of the lot of traffic and the controllers. IVAO is where most are online over europe, followed by VATSIM and far far away VAE. This is why i'm most online on IVAO. And I am sure, that if all of us would take off and land on EAFS online on IVAO (like i do) IVAO will accept EAFS on it's network even though EAFS isn't a "real" airport

yes, a lot of us are in the world tour. but i "beam" myself regularly back to EAFS or EDDH to fly online. but i have to confess that i usually use IVAO because of the lot of traffic and the controllers. IVAO is where most are online over europe, followed by VATSIM and far far away VAE. This is why i'm most online on IVAO. And I am sure, that if all of us would take off and land on EAFS online on IVAO (like i do) IVAO will accept EAFS on it's network even though EAFS isn't a "real" airport

Andreas.... What you are saying is quite true - and it is at "discussion-level" in the board! excl.gif

...And I am sure, that if all of us would take off and land on EAFS online on IVAO (like i do) IVAO will accept EAFS on it's network even though EAFS isn't a "real" airport

I'm very sceptic about that, as the purpose of these networks are to provide reality, if they are ready to ban you for having a 15 second long conversation( as I have read in VATSIM site) it's going to be weird if they add an non-existing airport to their network.

I'm very sceptic about that, as the purpose of these networks are to provide reality, if they are ready to ban you for having a 15 second long conversation( as I have read in VATSIM site) it's going to be weird if they add an non-existing airport to their network.

On the other hand - they are humans I believe, and with Andras Field coming up on its 1 year birthday pretty soon - and still living - who knows what could be achieved..... if we asked politely. But more on that - later! wink.gif

Right, exactly the discussion I hoped to stir up wink.gif.

For all intents and purposes: VAE is actually pretty painless. Install the client and activate it during FSX startup, and when properly loaded up and on the tarmac, just press SHIFT-TAB to acces and logon. Just make sure that the Squawkbox settings exclude using the time and date of the VAE server (or else FSX reloads all scenery again) and your online.

When I fly, nowadays I'm always onlne, even when doing my own enormous undertaking of flying the London-Melbourne race of 1934 with the trusty DC-2 Uiver. I'm currently in Iraq, so nowhere near EAFS. But looking at the live map of VAE, I'm mostly the only one in the world excl.gif on that map.

I like low-maintenance in online tools. If the gamespy thing in FSX wouldn't be so crappy, I'd go with that all the time! But unfortunately, the Free Flight part is often overcrowded, leading to dropouts. And if it is not overcrowded, it is overcrowded with children not caring about anything, crashing their 747's into everyone and every tiny runway they can get to > no fun.

In the adventure part of gamespy, a lot can be achieved I think, including sharing cockpits.

Regarding VATSIM or IVAO: I don't have much knowledge of them. But giving me a slap on the wrist if my comms are not up to speed regarding real life communications, or having to file flightplans for EVERY SINGLE vfr flight I want to do, be it local circuitry or a short hop at or under 1200ft AMSL, doesn't fall well with me. But what you do get is massive online entertainment. Some time ago, I had a blast flying from EAFS to some place in Italy with Matt and James (I think...). Now imagine doing that with ATC and tens of others flying around!

In short and IMHO:

1. VAE

pro's: easy to use, low threshold for beginning pilots.

cons: nobody home

2. Gamespy

pro's: easy to use for pilot and ATC, just don't have a server in FreeFlight lobby, low threshold, cockpit sharing.

cons: FreeFlight lobby too busy and too busy with retards, nobody home in other lobby's.

3 VATSIM/IVAO

pro's: always a lot of players around, both pilots and ATC.

cons: hard for beginning pilots and experienced simmers alike, mabe way too serious for the casual simmer?

From past experiences, I'd think the best way to go seems a server under Gamespy, being of a free-flight format but not under the free-flight lobby.

If that server were to be up 24/7, then we would have our own Andras Field server, which would be nice, but could prevent larger bodies of people being online at any one time.

Idea for the board: if Aerosoft could be persuaded to field its own Aerosoft Server in Gamespy, or even the board under the Aerosoft flag, in the Adventure lobby (or anyone NOT being Free Flight), propagating not only Andras Field, but all Aerosoft sceneries; would that not best suit the needs for EAFS and other Aerosoft sceneries? An evening of circuiting at Lukla, anyone?

From past experiences, I'd think the best way to go seems a server under Gamespy, being of a free-flight format but not under the free-flight lobby.

If that server were to be up 24/7, then we would have our own Andras Field server, which would be nice, but could prevent larger bodies of people being online at any one time.

Idea for the board: if Aerosoft could be persuaded to field its own Aerosoft Server in Gamespy, or even the board under the Aerosoft flag, in the Adventure lobby (or anyone NOT being Free Flight), propagating not only Andras Field, but all Aerosoft sceneries; would that not best suit the needs for EAFS and other Aerosoft sceneries? An evening of circuiting at Lukla, anyone?

I did suggest that - but if Aerosoft doesnt want to host a server on gamespy (due to the cost and needing someone to administrate the sever) whos going to host a session 24x7 on Gamespy?

I did suggest that - but if Aerosoft doesnt want to host a server on gamespy (due to the cost and needing someone to administrate the sever) whos going to host a session 24x7 on Gamespy?

Has Aerosoft been asked then? And if so, have they been asked for Andras Field exclusively, of for the whole of Aerosoft's range of (scenery) products?

I haven't got the faintest idea what operating costs would be for a 24/7 server on Gamespy.

Has Aerosoft been asked then? And if so, have they been asked for Andras Field exclusively, of for the whole of Aerosoft's range of (scenery) products?

I haven't got the faintest idea what operating costs would be for a 24/7 server on Gamespy.

Actually I am in contact with Aerosoft, about this. Things are being "worked on" so it´s not off the drawing board.

Actually I am in contact with Aerosoft, about this. Things are being "worked on" so it´s not off the drawing board.

Thanks Ole, fingers crossed then.

In the meanwhile, I'll be online always when flying @ VAE, which should be pretty much every evening this week (anywhere between 17:30 and 20:30 UTC), ending thursday.

From then, I'll be away on business for about a week.

Tobus

Right, exactly the discussion I hoped to stir up wink.gif.

For all intents and purposes: VAE is actually pretty painless. Install the client and activate it during FSX startup, and when properly loaded up and on the tarmac, just press SHIFT-TAB to acces and logon. Just make sure that the Squawkbox settings exclude using the time and date of the VAE server (or else FSX reloads all scenery again) and your online.

When I fly, nowadays I'm always onlne, even when doing my own enormous undertaking of flying the London-Melbourne race of 1934 with the trusty DC-2 Uiver. I'm currently in Iraq, so nowhere near EAFS. But looking at the live map of VAE, I'm mostly the only one in the world excl.gif on that map.

I like low-maintenance in online tools. If the gamespy thing in FSX wouldn't be so crappy, I'd go with that all the time! But unfortunately, the Free Flight part is often overcrowded, leading to dropouts. And if it is not overcrowded, it is overcrowded with children not caring about anything, crashing their 747's into everyone and every tiny runway they can get to > no fun.

In the adventure part of gamespy, a lot can be achieved I think, including sharing cockpits.

Regarding VATSIM or IVAO: I don't have much knowledge of them. But giving me a slap on the wrist if my comms are not up to speed regarding real life communications, or having to file flightplans for EVERY SINGLE vfr flight I want to do, be it local circuitry or a short hop at or under 1200ft AMSL, doesn't fall well with me. But what you do get is massive online entertainment. Some time ago, I had a blast flying from EAFS to some place in Italy with Matt and James (I think...). Now imagine doing that with ATC and tens of others flying around!

In short and IMHO:

1. VAE

pro's: easy to use, low threshold for beginning pilots.

cons: nobody home

2. Gamespy

pro's: easy to use for pilot and ATC, just don't have a server in FreeFlight lobby, low threshold, cockpit sharing.

cons: FreeFlight lobby too busy and too busy with retards, nobody home in other lobby's.

3 VATSIM/IVAO

pro's: always a lot of players around, both pilots and ATC.

cons: hard for beginning pilots and experienced simmers alike, mabe way too serious for the casual simmer?

Toby.

Thank you for the writeup. You are right on all counts. I have spent a lot of time, trying to strangle this kind of discussions, in the past, but I think its time to have it up again.

I agree, mostly about the VAE server. Its fairly easy, but I am not thrilled about the frequent updates to it though.

And as I said above, I am in contact with Aerosoft, about a Gamespy server.

Ole,

one more thing: from what I've seen, all A/C and their paint liveries are carried over to all flying participants on a server in Gamespy.

So none of the weirdness you see in VAE (and others?) when participant B does not have the particular A/C or Heli of participant A, resulting in default Cessna 172 SP's hovering over the field or whoozing by at 500+ kts.

A very BIG pro, imho.

Hope something will be worked out!

Toby you will still get that. If i was to fly say a Shackleton and you didnt have that installed, you would see me as what ever FSX guessed was close enough. So its not just a problem of VAE.

Toby you will still get that. If i was to fly say a Shackleton and you didnt have that installed, you would see me as what ever FSX guessed was close enough. So its not just a problem of VAE.

Matt, are you sure? Because several times I've flown on Gamespy server with people in a/c I do not own, complete with liveries that, from what I can judge, are not standard liveries that came with that package.

I'll try to take screenshots if the possibility presents itself.

Im pretty certain thats the case. For example I was flying the Aerosoft Cat, and you didnt own it. If you were able to see it that would mean a lot of large files were being sent back and forth which would slow down and cause lots of lag. Its also possibly in breach of copywrite as you will then have data on your PC for the Cat which you dont legally own

Well, since MS uses Gamespy internally in FSX as its mulitplayer platform, I guess some things could have been done to circumvent that. For instance: downloading them encrypted in the tempdir, erasing all when online session ends. Otherwise, I can not explain how the cockpit sharing always works, even if the co-pilot does not own the a/c the pilot owns, but can still share in the cockpit.

Toby are you certain you can share cockpits in dis-similar aircraft? Sounds iffy to me

From what I understand: any player can "join" a server as co-pilot if a pilot has set his cockpit to "shared", regardless if co-pilot owns the a/c (and thus cockpit) of the aircraft the pilot has chosen.

Mind that I have never tested this ( I fly as pilot, not as copilot, nor am I fan of the gamespy free flight servers), but that's basically what it says.

We could test this for ourselves, ofcourse?

I would be happy to use VAE when doing the RTWC, except that VAE won't work for me. When I first set it up, it was finem, then it stopped and hasn't worked since. I can't see anybody else, and they can't see me, even when I know they are there. I've tried asking for help but had nothing constructive come back. So I've given up for now. Happy to get online with anyone on Teamspeak if they think they can tolk me through the setup and check everything is right but, as far as I can tell from the VAE site, everything is as it should be. :blush:

For vRAF and BAV I use VATSIM. Yes, they do like people to be as realistic as they can but, having said that, they are generally a very nice bunch. If you put a comment in your FP to say you are new to the idea, they will help you as much as they can. There is a lot of help on the VATSIM site, and most VAs have people who can advise. Using VATSIM (I guess IVAO is the same) really does add a lot to your flying.