Questions about FSFlyingSchool?

FSFlyingSchool is going to be your best friend for the next long long time - or perhaps your worst enemy. All depends on how it works out for you.

FSFlyingSchool is, in my opinion, the best addon ever made for your favorite Flight simulator. But of course there can be a few things that can cause raised eyebrows, questions or even an occotional I-am-going-to-throw-my-PC-out-the-window feeling.

IF - then don´t. ASK instead.

The MAIN thing to do - or course - is the read the manual. It explains everything in detail - in fact grab a copy of the manual here FSFlyingSchoolManual.pdf

But still... if you have issues, or questions, please post them below here, and Ill try to see if I know how and what.... I don´t know everything, but I am a quite steady user of FSFlyingSchool, and have beta tested every version for 2½ years.

• Upvote 1

Ok, upgrading versions: Do I just install over the previous installation (E.g: install V4.2 over V4.0.4) or do I need to uninstall the old installation first, and also will it keep activated if I install over the old? I ended up with version 4.0.4 when I downloaded from the demo link and the latest version is 4.2 as displayed on the site, just so you know why I'm asking.

Ok, upgrading versions: Do I just install over the previous installation (E.g: install V4.2 over V4.0.4) or do I need to uninstall the old installation first, and also will it keep activated if I install over the old? I ended up with version 4.0.4 when I downloaded from the demo link and the latest version is 4.2 as displayed on the site, just so you know why I'm asking.

Just install over the existing version. Nothing will be lost...pilot logs, activavions.... all is still there.

HOWEVER - in your case you have the correct version. There was a small hickup in the version number when v.4.2 was finalized, so it shows up as 4.04. BUT the date should read January 21´st 2011. If your version has that date, it IS version 4.2.

Personally Id remove the old version first. Its better to be safe than sorry, you know...

NO Matt.

Do NOT remove the old version. IF you do, then activation and all WILL be lost. Install OVER the existing version. Every time!

HOWEVER - in your case you have the correct version. There was a small hickup in the version number when v.4.2 was finalized, so it shows up as 4.04. BUT the date should read January 21´st 2011. If your version has that date, it IS version 4.2.

Ah, ok, then I do have right version. Just are they ever gonna fix the version number issue before proceeding to the next version? wacko.gif

Question Ole:

points awarded depend on aircraft weight, but do you know whether that's max TO weight or the ACTUAL TO weight for that flight?

Hi Ole,

I think this AF challenge is great, I wish I had the time to fly, now my days are full and I'm getting up 2-3 times a night, you probably guess why :) Anyway I am interested in the FSFlyingSchool and want to deploy it in my system but I'm a bit concerened of it affecting frame rates, or be affected from low frame rates (delay in voice announcements etc.)

Can you please your wide experince from the product regarding the frames issue please?

Thanks,

Moshe

Hi Ole,

I think this AF challenge is great, I wish I had the time to fly, now my days are full and I'm getting up 2-3 times a night, you probably guess why :) Anyway I am interested in the FSFlyingSchool and want to deploy it in my system but I'm a bit concerened of it affecting frame rates, or be affected from low frame rates (delay in voice announcements etc.)

Can you please your wide experince from the product regarding the frames issue please?

Thanks,

Moshe

Thats intresting i hadn't thought about wether it effect fps..

Also, does it need to be installed into the fsx directory?

In order to grade my flying I'm currently using the FS Flight Keeper (from Aerosoft), the FSFlyingSchool product offered here seems nice, I wonder if for the grading and scores I could get the same scoring result with the Aerosoft product...

Question Ole:

points awarded depend on aircraft weight, but do you know whether that's max TO weight or the ACTUAL TO weight for that flight?

Lars..

The points awarded is based on the standard TO weight. It wont make any difference if you fly empty or full, so if you want to make life easier - only carry whats needed for the flight, as the aircraft will be easier to handle....

Hi Ole,

Thanks,

Moshe

Moshe...

FSFlyingSchool will not slow your system down in any significant way at all. The developers say - If your system can only run FSX (or FS9) struggling, then you should´nt run FSFlyingSchool. It IS a second program, and it does interact with FSX via FSUIPC, but if you run FSX even fairly, then you wont feel any difference at all. I cannot see any frame difference at all, when running FSFS.

Hey FSFS guys,

the slow startup of FSFS, is that normal?

I mean, when starting it, it's stuck on that 'processing data' thing for at least 3 or 4 minutes.

It does proceed, but very slowly once past 50%...

Just checking if this is normal...

edit:

one other thing, what does this mean:

Landed without a proper approach OR off runway surface

I mean, I flew a (not perfect, but not terrible either) left hand circuit, intercepted the glideslope and localizer without much deviation, and landed dead center on the runway...

But I did engage landing mode on downwind. Should I wait to do this until final?

It was just a test flight (and now I know why I do those test flights), with an ILS approach.

I had 13 positive remarks on the approach and landing, only 1 negative, yet only a 28.4 rating (in the Duke)

Hey FSFS guys,

I mean, when starting it, it's stuck on that 'processing data' thing for at least 3 or 4 minutes.

Are you starting FSFS while FSX is starting or after FSX has started?

Hey FSFS guys,

edit:

one other thing, what does this mean:

Landed without a proper approach OR off runway surface

I mean, I flew a (not perfect, but not terrible either) left hand circuit, intercepted the glideslope and localizer without much deviation, and landed dead center on the runway...

But I did engage landing mode on downwind. Should I wait to do this until final?

It was just a test flight (and now I know why I do those test flights), with an ILS approach.

I had 13 positive remarks on the approach and landing, only 1 negative, yet only a 28.4 rating (in the Duke)

Lars...

You are probably using a non-English version of Windows. This can sometimes cause some trouble. I have a few files, that I´ll find and send to you tomorrow. Files that should help you with the "Landed OFF runway surface", AND with the slow progressing bar. (It should take no more than 10 seconds)

I just need to locate the update files. Please stand by.

Are you starting FSFS while FSX is starting or after FSX has started?

The manual Paul, the manual....biggrin.gif

In the "quick start guide" in the manual for FSFS its pretty clearly stated that you should always. get yourself into a plane in FSX. When the plane is ready, either on the ground, or in the air, THEN, and only then should you start FSFS, and connect.

Even in FSFS program itself, on the far left tab, called "Information" you get the quick start guide.... See this pic.

paul%20g.png

I hope this helps..happy.gif

The manual Paul, the manual....biggrin.gif

In the "quick start guide" in the manual for FSFS its pretty clearly stated that you should always. get yourself into a plane in FSX. When the plane is ready, either on the ground, or in the air, THEN, and only then should you start FSFS, and connect.

Even in FSFS program itself, on the far left tab, called "Information" you get the quick start guide.... See this pic.

I hope this helps..happy.gif

What I meant by my question was is FSFS being started but not connected while FSX is starting.

What I meant by my question was is FSFS being started but not connected while FSX is starting.

I do with no probs.just dont press connect till your sat in a plane.

I do with no probs.just dont press connect till your sat in a plane.

What I do, is to wait to start FSFS until I am ready in the aircraft. Then I connect, and fly.

When I have finished my flight, and if I want to fly another flight -. I CLOSE FSFS, then start it again, when ready, and connect.

I know that you CAN start FSFS even before FSX, as long as you dont connect, until you are ready, and you CAN keep FSFS open, and simply disconnect, and reconnect. If you continue your new flight, but I find that odd things can happen when you disconnect FSUIPC and reconnect it too much, so in order to be sure everything is cool and fresh - I shut down FSFS and restart it.

If you continue your filght from the same point you landed - as in our flights here, you can continue - not disconnecting at all, simply let FSFS stay on, but I dont. Its simply a matter of habit. I ALWAYS close and re-open FSFS between flights. Period.

But choice is yours.

Lars...

You are probably using a non-English version of Windows. This can sometimes cause some trouble. I have a few files, that I´ll find and send to you tomorrow. Files that should help you with the "Landed OFF runway surface", AND with the slow progressing bar. (It should take no more than 10 seconds)

I just need to locate the update files. Please stand by.

Hi Ole,

have the same issues too. Probably some others have the same problem. is it possible to post these files here in the forum, so everybody of us can download them?

thx